General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Tacoma Strange Lighting Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Tacoma Strange Lighting Issues...

Here goes...

The other day I attempted to install floor lights on my 2003 Tacoma. I ran the wires into the Dome Light housing and simply ran the wires into the plug that attaches to the dome light housing. I then replaced my standard dome light bulb with a LED. The LED flickered a bit and then would not work at all. This apparently set off a series of issues. I reinstalled the standard bulb in the dome light fixture.

Now, for the issues...

1) My headlights no longer turn off with the truck.

2) Dome light only works in the "Dome" position when the truck is unlocked via remote entry (floor lights work fine). The dome light WILL NOT come on if the doors are unlocked manually. Also, if the dome light is just turned to the "On" position, the dome light will come on, but the floor lights will not illuminate.

3) Doors normally re-lock if the keyless entry is used and no doors are opened. However, now the doors will automatically lock even if the doors have been opened thus creating concerns of accidentally locking my keys in the truck.

What I've done so far...

1) Fuse under the hood is fine.
2) Door switches appear to be okay.
3) Dome light always turns on in the "On" position.
4) Put wiring back to original. After doing this, headlights now turn off automatically but the Dome Light only lights when the "Unlock" is pressed on the Keyless Entry and turn off as soon as any door is open.

Any suggestions at this point? Body ECU issues, perhaps? Grounding?

I'm at a loss.....
Old 03-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since I never had any keyless entry.

So your dealing with a transmitter and receiver I would say something got fried on the truck side.

Or some how you reset something .

Will unhooking the negative terminal of the battery return things to default settings??

I am sure someone with one of these will know

Good luck
Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Since I never had any keyless entry.

So your dealing with a transmitter and receiver I would say something got fried on the truck side.

Or some how you reset something .

Will unhooking the negative terminal of the battery return things to default settings??

I am sure someone with one of these will know

Good luck
Thanks for the positive energy.

I was told by a knowledgeable electrician today that if disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes doesn't work, then its the ECU.

And.... Disconnecting for 30 minutes did nothing. :sigh:
Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm going to give this a semi educated guess.

You tried backpacking off of the stock dome light wiring which probably ties into your key-less entry dye to the switches that are at the door.

Next time you want to try something like this, run a relay. Don't just piggy back off of the stock wiring.

I would guess you fried something in the key-less entry module.
Try unplugging it and see if everything else with the dome light circuit functions properly.

The dome light circuit is very strange on these trucks, I don't recommend messing with it at all.

I highly doubt your ECU is fried. If the truck still runs/ drives fine, don't worry about it.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
I'm going to give this a semi educated guess.

You tried backpacking off of the stock dome light wiring which probably ties into your key-less entry dye to the switches that are at the door.

Next time you want to try something like this, run a relay. Don't just piggy back off of the stock wiring.

I would guess you fried something in the key-less entry module.
Try unplugging it and see if everything else with the dome light circuit functions properly.

The dome light circuit is very strange on these trucks, I don't recommend messing with it at all.

I highly doubt your ECU is fried. If the truck still runs/ drives fine, don't worry about it.

Thanks for the help.

I had someone else on another forum recommend disconnecting the Key-less Entry Module , but I'm not sure where it is. I'll give it a shot as long as it doesn't start throwing everything else out of whack.

No, the truck shows no signs of problems in any area other than the Dome Light situation.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah, then forget the ECU.

Keyless entry module should be behind the drivers side kick panel with about 50k wires going to it. Lol.