Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Is there any interest in an Alarm/Remote Start Writeup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there any interest in an Alarm/Remote Start Writeup?

Well as the title reads? Any interest?

I badly need a new alarm fer my yota and Im thinking about doing it sometime soon. Incidentally the alarm is going to be a Viper 881.... I may have to incorporate battery backup, secondary shock sensors, audio sensors, as well as the window module.... And who knows maybe a few piezos in the air vents...lol
Old 01-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes there is.
A lot of people like to install their own alarms if they feel comfortable doing it.
Me, I pay someone like Cartoys to do mine.
Not enough time to do it.
See the Rules section too if would like to submit it for the new Tech Section.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could use a refresher. It's been a few years since I did one.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it'd be great to have it laid out for folks, but remember that in the process of writing this up, you'll be exposing the connections required to start the truck without a key for many trucks that are similar to yours, mine & ours.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one is on my "sometime list" so i would definitely read with interest.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Although its a great idea it poses a security threat for everyone owning the same type of vehicle. If a novice car thief is looking for a nice 3rd gen all he needs to do is read the write up and voila. Now he knows which wire needs power to start the vehicle. I don't think this writeup will fly with the mods. My 0.02.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

A "good" thief...what an oxymoron...will get past an alarm anyway. They are pretty clever. For Bumping some type of starter disable and a loud alarm would probably be best...they would probably be going for his stereo stuff. Need more of a deterent than anything.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:27 PM

I make it a point to let everyone who knows that I have a system also know that I shoot sporting clays and that I do it and shoot all 3 types of weapons VERY well...

However - if a theif wants your car there is NOTHING you can do to prevent it. NOTHING. No matter how badass the alarm system is, it wont stop a flat bed from loading your toy up and taking it....

The purpose of an alarm is to keep honest people honest...and advanced alarms to keep somewhat honest semipro people honest. The pro's, if they want your car, say bye bye.

Anyhoo, this writeup is probably 3 months out or so....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-22-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
However - if a theif wants your car there is NOTHING you can do to prevent it. NOTHING.
The purpose of an alarm is to keep honest people honest...
Right... but my point is "why help the rank amateur know which wires to cross/ground/apply power to"?

Lemme put it this way... As an owner of a similar make/model/year vehicle, I would rather see some sort of safeguard in place to keep this kind of information out of the hands of the general public.

My truck would be WAY down on the list from yours of vehicles to get into, but... that's not gonna stop someone with step-by-step instructions in their hands. And if it happened, it would be no less of a real PITA to deal with the loss of my daily driver/trail rig and everything in it.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

... or just put in a starter kill switch and hide it.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
I think it'd be great to have it laid out for folks, but remember that in the process of writing this up, you'll be exposing the connections required to start the truck without a key for many trucks that are similar to yours, mine & ours.
yes, this is precisely why i did not do a writeup for an alarm install
Old 01-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

i see your point (bob, amir904, others). however you do know that sites like bulldog list the locations for most common vehicles (including ours) for the connections. a crafty thief either has an innate feel for this, or has the ignition and lock wiring scheme for his/her target vehicle pretty well memorized. in the end i suppose i agree with you on general principle, but i do think a lot of us honest guys could benefit from sharing this knowledge especially if it could be done so in an anonymous way. for instance if someone could act as a thread moderator and post some generalities and pictures... it wouldn't expose any individual's setup. also, it's not like we're giving out the locales of kill switches. if you've got your rig rewired, then don't worry about this. if you're stock, i would bet that thieves know already, and posting it here might only serve to reinforce their knowledge. (furthermore, you should axe the thread about the triangle window while you're at it, if this kind of thing bugs you...)
Old 01-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by photoleif
i see your point (bob, amir904, others). however you do know that sites like bulldog list the locations for most common vehicles (including ours) for the connections. a crafty thief either has an innate feel for this, or has the ignition and lock wiring scheme for his/her target vehicle pretty well memorized. in the end i suppose i agree with you on general principle, but i do think a lot of us honest guys could benefit from sharing this knowledge especially if it could be done so in an anonymous way. for instance if someone could act as a thread moderator and post some generalities and pictures... it wouldn't expose any individual's setup. also, it's not like we're giving out the locales of kill switches. if you've got your rig rewired, then don't worry about this. if you're stock, i would bet that thieves know already, and posting it here might only serve to reinforce their knowledge. (furthermore, you should axe the thread about the triangle window while you're at it, if this kind of thing bugs you...)

yes, those alarm sites have the install manuals, ops manuals, etc. also, there are other sites that tell you which wires to tap.

however, all of the above information does *not* tell you exactly which wires to tap and which harness. for example, the easy ones to figure out w/ the above information are ignition wire harnesses. why? because there is only one bundle going into the ignition itself. however, many alarm company install manuals say something like "tap the green/white wire located in the kick panel area." now there are a couple harnesses in that area and if i, or someone else, posted a pic of which wire to tap, youve given it all away w a single photo.

as others have said, if a professional thief wants to break into your car and disable your alarm, they probalby will because of their advanced knowledge. however, i do not want to give the casual thief any clues on how my alarm system is installed, pics or no pics.

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-22-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:34 PM

Even still yall are missing the point.

Your average theif is not going to go online looking around for alarm installs to try figure out how to hot wire a car. That is damn near the tactics of a pro. Secondarily that info is ALL over the place on the net. There isnt a car I cant find out how to hot wire from just sitting here at my laptop.

99.9% of all theifs resort to smash and grab tactics - break your window, unlock door, extract radio in under 20 seconds (going slowly), search for amp/subs, pull those in under a minute, haul azz. I see the aftermath quite a bit honestly...

Some discretion, some 5% tint, and an alarm would prevent 99% of those issues.

In any event I dont think there'd be any 'security' issues with a remote start/alarm write up...lol Yall forget that all alarms come with starter kill, so all you have to do is hide the alarm brain, the starter side of that wire, and the alarm's power and ground, and you are good to roll. (Remember you do NOT have to go to the ignition harness for power, ground, and acc. - and the one wire you do have to tap into, the ignition wire, you can be crafty about)

(believe me it would take a thief pro or otherwise at MINIMUM an hour to get to my alarm brain - and that's if they know where it's at... )

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-22-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:56 PM

bumpin,

i have no objections to you doing it, i just have my reasons for not doing it. i mean, even what you just said gives someone w/ no knowledge of disabling an alarm something to go off (i.e. looking for the brain and the ground/power wire). similarly, because of what myself and others have put on the forum about the rs3000 (more so to program the alarm and disable it if you were in trouble), just about everyone w/ that alarm knows exactly where to find the brain unit.

bob
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM

i ahve the viper 792 and love it, esp during the winter.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 PM

My question to you guys that have installed an alarm, was it terribly difficult?

I have had a cheap alarm installed once that left me stranded and I had no idea of a work around. My next car had an expensive alarm installation, but I was very dissapointed to find the cpu tucked right under the dash. So for my expedition 4Runner, I'd like to have an alarm if only to warn me of someone jacking with my rig when I am camping etc.

I thought about getting an alarm and not using any start kill system, utilizing my own kill switch. Any comments on just the installation of an alarms difficulty, I have a 2nd Gen.

JJ
Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 PM

The first time I did it, it was about 5 hours with at least 60% of that time split between finding the right wires and then playing with all the programming options. To do it again would take me 2-3 hours.

"Difficult" is relative of course, but I would have to say that no, it's not. I rather enjoyed doing it!

The key thing is to get the right wiring diagram for the vehicle. Without it, then you're plowing through an FSM working out WHICH of the ignition wires to tap, and that can take time. And without and FSM, then... you're just blasting away with a large bore shotgun hoping that you can hit something.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

When you do it yourself you usually go the extra mile to wire it up properly. I remember putting the attenna wire up as high as possible. My Alpine alarm has an option that you have to open up the unit and move a jumper.
Now instead of cutting the starter or ingnition in alarm situation, the ignition is always cut except when you try to start the vehicle and the alarm is turned off.
I am using the normally open contact on the relay in my ignition wire, and the relay is tucked quite up quite high.
When the alarm is turned off by the remote, and the ignition key is turned to ignition then the relay is turned on and the engine can run. I took a bit extra, but even when they find the alarm brian and disable it they still can't start the car.
Regular installers won't go that far, they'll just wire it up minimally to get the vehicle out of there asap.
I also hooked up the highbeams up to the 2nd button on my remote so they come on for 15 seconds. It's handy to find the door key in our dark carport.
It is actually 1 wire extra to hook up for that option, takes 10 mins to figure it out.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

SPAM.

thanks for coming out

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 04-05-2006 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there any interest in an Alarm/Remote Start Writeup?