Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Commando 870, so far, not so good

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commando 870, so far, not so good

I'm not normally one to start flame wars, or badmouth over the net. However, since I learned about the commando 870 on this forum, I feel obligated to share this experience with all of you. I know that those who have installed the 870 are very happy with it. That's why I ordered it two weeks ago. I can't comment on the unit itself, because I still don't have it.

I paid extra for faster shipping to ensure it would arrive in time to do the install last weekend. I started calling Monday (eight days ago) to get a tracking number (which I should have gotten when I ordered, but didn't). It took me a week of phone calls and emails to get anyone's response. They didn't answer their phone for a week. The unit was supposed to arrive last Tuesday (a week ago). It didn't. I finally got someone on the phone yesterday. very apologetic. profusely apologetic. Offered to ship it overnight to make up for the mistake. Fine. Was supposed to get here today. It didn't. After checking the tracking number with UPS, it was sent ground, not overnight. So it'll get here thursday - a full two weeks after I called and paid them for the unit, and extra for fast shipping. Not happy.

The unit might be great. I don't know yet. Customer service, when they answer their phone, leaves a great deal to be desired.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:09 PM

it may sound stupid.............what is commando 870???
Old 06-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Not stupid, Alexander. I didn't explain. it's a security system and remote starter.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:08 PM

thank you!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alexander
thank you!
Here's a reference link:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/

Sorry to hear about the trouble Matthew... Do you know who you finally talked to?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, totally opposite from the experience of all the guys i know who did the install. did you talk w/ ryan? if not, you should get in touch w/ him and he will set things right

bob
Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 AM

I did email ryan directly when I didn't get a response from their customer service (either via phone or email). He didn't respond. I'm not 100% sure, but if memory serves, the guy I finally spoke to on Monday was Dave. Called again this morning, and to their credit, they said they'd refund the shipping charges. (though they wouldn't have if I didn't call a third time and complain). It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM

fwiw... I have a strange feeling that Ryan's gone. A few months ago I needed a new remote and it took me a while to get it. The transaction started with Ryan, we flipped a bunch of mail across two days, and then ... poof, he was gone. I never heard from him again through the next month of trying to figure out what's up.

I don't have any other contact info for him outside of an rmail address which I know he's no longer at.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, I was just about to order a keyless entry commando from these guys. Better go through another retailer for the same unit.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM

Yeah.. sad to say, but if customer service (i.e., Ryan) is hosed, then I don't know that I feel comfortable recommending to buy direct.

Sad... argh.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 PM

just before ordering the unit, I did email ryan with some questions. He got right back to me with the anwers (wanted to know what various sensors were for, etc.). this was a few weeks ago. After ordering, I don't think I communicated with Ryan again, but dealt with other guys at commando.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:30 PM

Got the alarm... Finally!

The 870 finally arrived yesterday. I'm already half-way through the install. After taking some panels off and getting to the ignition harness, it's clear that the previous owner had a remote start and removed it. The installer used those crimp-on type t-splices. I removed them and soldered my connections. when I was taking the electrical tape (nice job) off the starter wire, I found a connection that was simply twisted together and taped off. It literally fell apart as I tried to find the end of the tape. Glad I found that before it became a problem. Can't imagine the diagnostic fee for figuring that one out.

anyway, I have some specific questions. I can understand if you veterans have a "been there, done that" feeling about answering questions about this install. could someone who's done this install pm me if they wouldn't mind answering some questions? I don't want to bug too many people, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Hey Matthew;

Just so you know, I'm not blowing off your PM, it's just that I waiting to find the time to get answers for you. I did mine almost 3 years ago and I simply don't remember where anything hooked up to. I'd basically have to tear apart my install to try to get you answers. I don't mind doing that, I just have a lot on my plate right now.

I know that I used a wiring diagram on the Commando site that I got access to after the purchase and it was reasonable. I think Bob ended up creating a better one after the group-purchase sweep. He's pretty well known for his write-ups.

Location wise - lemme say this... a lot of it will be determined by where you can fit the box given the length of the stock harness. You'll have more options if you extend the harness.

The key thing to remember here is that if someone wants your truck, they're gonna get it. And they're rank amateurs if they're still in the truck looking for the box if they've tripped the alarm, ya' know? Of course, that won't stop them from being stoopid, but...

Oh... Kudos for soldering! I can't tell you how many times I've seen crimp connectors be the cause of trouble - much like your twisted wire mess. yuk.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Hey Matthew;

Just so you know, I'm not blowing off your PM, it's just that I waiting to find the time to get answers for you. I did mine almost 3 years ago and I simply don't remember where anything hooked up to. I'd basically have to tear apart my install to try to get you answers. I don't mind doing that, I just have a lot on my plate right now.
no worries, Mark. I figured you probably hadn't memorized everything in case newbie like me asked you three years later. I don't want to be a pest, and I certainly wouldn't have anyone pulling panels and checking wires b/c I'm too lazy to figure it out. thought I'd ask on the chance that you might remember. anyhow, I'm going along at a pretty good pace, thanks entirely to the information you guys have already put up.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I think me, Bob and Andy all went through this install together, Mark had already done it so we had some reference there as well. i'll check and see if I have any of the pictures and diagrams that we used as well as the ones Bob created. It's not a hard install, just time consuming. I was kinda feeling my way through it with a few phone calls to Andy and Bob and I think I finished it in about 5 hours. Let me look around and see what I have.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

I am actually planning to do the same install very soon as well. I wanted to order the alarm a long time ago, but then it got lost in other things. Back then, I asked Bob about any information he said regarding this install and he send me MANY e-mails you guys shot back and forth, so I might be able to help with this as well, just let me know.

Oh and yeah...for every install that goes right, we owe Bob a big beer and cheeseburger (or a big cheeseburger and a beer?)...

Originally Posted by Bob Kim (BOB98SR5)
Hopefully you can get this to work without my help b/c its been a few months since I’ve done this.

And if you get it to work, ya owe me a big beer and a cheeseburger too! :-D

Bob
But I guess it'll just be me owing him one .
Old 06-24-2006, 06:21 PM

almost there

Spent the whole day under the hood/dash with this install today. I've got most of it done.

my biggest question right now is about the door trigger(s). Despite commando's description of the wire location, I had a hell of a time finding the single door trigger wire (behind the fuse box). Used my meter to confirm that it was the right one (been doing the same with all of the wires), and spliced into it. Now, about those diodes... am I correct in thinking that I need to isolate the individual door triggers via diodes? If so, do I do this at the individual switches themselves? seems the most reliable way to do it. At any rate, the commando diagram doesn't say anything about using diodes for this step. I'm muddy on this one.

I've used 4 diodes in this install already. Two to isolate the two functions of the hood pin switch (ignition kill and alarm trigger), and two to isolate two negative door unlock circuits triggered by the same wire from the unit. the commando 'yota diagram and manual outline the use of the diodes for these steps.

After a long day, I tucked wires and powerd it up. started with the programming, but didn't really give it much time (it was late, didn't want to annoy the neighbors). Hope to get it wrapped up tomorrow and get on to some audio projects. Jury is still out on that cheeseburger and beer for Bob, but I'm optimistic.

Last edited by MatthewP; 06-24-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewP
Now, about those diodes... am I correct in thinking that I need to isolate the individual door triggers via diodes?
No. Think about it, you basically want the alarm to trigger when any door is opened. What do each of the doors have in common? The dome light. The exception is the rear hatch which I can't remember if it triggers the main dome as well as it's own.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:50 AM

Good news, Mark, thanks. I'll check the hatch to see if it triggers the dome and post results later today.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 AM

The hatch definitely needs to be tied into the door trigger. I'll be getting to that sometime this afternoon. Birdman suggests using diodes to isolate. Bob says I might need to use a relay. Anyone have experience with this? Also, I was searching around the forum last night, and Birdman described the diodes needed (IN4003 - from radio shack). I've used INT4742A - also from radio shack. I know this is probably an overly technical question (and I'll call commando once they're open) - but I'm concerned that I've used the wrong ones. My door unlock circuit isn't working and I've used those diodes to isolate both unlock wires. Pretty sure I tapped the right ones, so I'm stumped.

Last edited by MatthewP; 06-26-2006 at 05:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Commando 870, so far, not so good