Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

car alarm installation garbage

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car alarm installation garbage

Hi All

I was doing a some driving on a rough dirt road earlier today and the car alarm module fell out of the dash and I had to hold it with my left hand until I could get to a place to pull off and tie it onto the steering column temporarily. It has happened before and I am tired of taking it back to the installer place because they do not install it very securely.

I am wondering how hard it would be to install a new module myself with new alarm keyfobs. Is it something that is "plug and play" as in plugging in a new module into the existing wiring? Or are all modules different and have to be wired differently? I don't know much about where the wiring to the parking lamps goes or how it's wired to disable the starter. It doesn't have a lot of fancy stuff like keyless entry or remote start.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on what alarm it is. Some change harness styles some don't (when upgrading within the same brand).

I recently had my DEI 550 ESP sent in to be repaired and they sent me a new one with new fobs. I think the harnesses are the same, but I haven't gotten under there yet.

I need some nice weather, because I want to solder the wiring connections and re-route the wires and secure the module better. Mine also drops out of the dash like a soda machine...
Old 03-03-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been a number of alarm/remote starter threads lately, you may want to do a search to see other folk's opinions and experiences.

Installing a system is pretty straight forward and is generally "easy" in the sense that you don't have to do any soldering (though I always recommend it).

Like Cebby said, unless you're swapping in a module from the same manufacturer you have now, there's little chance that it'll be plug & play. Even so, from what you say it sounds like you just have an alarm now and you'd have to add in the wiring for remote start and door locks (if you have them). Be prepared to spend some quality time on your back working in the tight space under the dash though - a lot of the wiring you'll need access to is on short leads off of the main harness.

I recently installed a system from Commando (http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1185). When I bought it, I got access to their vast library of wiring charts which I found to be 100% accurate.

In short... if you're comfortable with wiring (either soldering or crimp connectors) then there's really nothing to it.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
It depends on what alarm it is. Some change harness styles some don't (when upgrading within the same brand).

I recently had my DEI 550 ESP sent in to be repaired and they sent me a new one with new fobs. I think the harnesses are the same, but I haven't gotten under there yet.

I need some nice weather, because I want to solder the wiring connections and re-route the wires and secure the module better. Mine also drops out of the dash like a soda machine...
Cebby you should check out my thread where I located my 550 ESP just below the radio.
No problem with it ever falling out then!

Definately good to solder the connections if you can as well.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Cebby you should check out my thread where I located my 550 ESP just below the radio.
No problem with it ever falling out then!

Definately good to solder the connections if you can as well.
Mines going somewhere else, but I'll never tell where. Let's just say, that it will make my rig impossible to steal. My old Celica a bit of an alarm in it. Here's a mock up shot:

This had 3/8" plexi over it screwed to the floor and custom carpet with a flap so I could show it off at security comps... Also had sheet metal with security fasteners under the dash and around this box to secure the wiring - kinda overkill. No time for that kind of monkey business anymore, plus, if I submerge the 4Runner using a floormount setup, I'd make a mess of it.