General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

what type of radiator fluid do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fireteacher
come on strap, either i missed it or that write up said NOTHING to state the facts that using the "yota red" is a must.

maybe you posted the wrong thread!!!
Okie Dokie but it seemed like a good write-up. You have to read the whole thread it's in red type. There are a alot of opinions of which one to use but I have always used Toyota Red and will only recommend it to customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveGato
All right, I’m going to post this at the risk of the “covered a million times” “did you search first” etc… blasts that are sure to come. Yes, it’s been covered a million times, as I just found out after spending the last 1 & ½ hours searching and reading the posts but I am still confused and have more questions that I couldn’t find the answers to, hopefully someone can help?
(1996 Tacoma 4x4 v6 3.4L 150,000 mi.)

1. Just for clarification, it did seem from what I read that I definitely want to use the Toyota Red coolant, correct? And at an approx 50/50 mix rate, maybe a little higher coolant to water ratio for hot weather climates like mine? (Sacramento, Ca) 60/40 or 70/30. It has green stuff in it now, so I am going to completely flush it, with chemicals first though, to be safe.

Yes, only use toyota coolant (red or pink) from the dealer. You can mix it 50/50 or 60/40, but I wouldn't suggest going much higher than that since the water in the coolant is what actually draws the heat from the engine most efficiently.
2. When flushing, I found the “procedure(s)” I can handle that, thanks for the info. all. I did wonder however, would there be any benefit or harm if after I flushed it till clean water came out, I ran it for a while? Couple hours? Couple days? with just plain water in it and then flushed it again? Or even run it for a while, hours, days? with plain water and the flush chemicals? Just wondering if that would scrub it better or if it might damage it?

That is how you should flush the engine (until clean water comes out.....remove the thermostat when doing this or some of the old coolant will remain in the engine). You can start and run the motor on water alone in the cooling system (for a few minutes only!), but there really is no need, just flush thoroughly. I would also advise NOT to flush with chemicals, they can end up doing more harm than good (esp damage to WP seals). Again, good flush of engine and heater core is all that is needed before refilling with new coolant. Also be sure to recycle any old coolant you collect when you drained the system.

3. Is it recommended to change the thermostat too or only if there is a symptom indicating such?

I do like to replace them since I have had trouble with mine in the past but if it is opening/closing properly and the temp on the guage seems correct (should be holding just below halfway) then you might be fine without. I don't think they are very expensive at the dealer anyway.

4. What is “Water Wetter”? what does it do? How much? Where to get? Good or bad to use? Never heard of it?

It is a coolant additive to help with WP cavitation and supposedly help the coolant draw heat better (the mechanism is somewhat complex....laminar flows, etc). I am not a big fan of additives so for me stock coolant does just fine. I honestly don't know what kind of added performance you'd expect to get from putting something like that in there since the coolant toyota uses already does an excellent job of both. So for my truck, no water wetter.
Thank you for any and all help and info, much appreciated!

Answers in red above.__________________
- Jamie

1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/890 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by MTL_4runner : 05-19-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

For risk of getting flames on this thread, I didn't respond but I use Toyota red based on Jaime's recommendation. I could be wrong but I trust Jaime a ton and he's been pretty spot on every time I've reached out for help.

Can't tell you that the Toyota red is better but it's worth the few extra dollars for my peace of mind...
Old 09-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

i read it strap, the post only refers to type of coolant in 1. it however does not say why it is a must to use it. that is what i am looking for and so far, noone knows why! there have been a few post as well as links to sights staing that you can use whatever you want. and the color is just dyed.

anyone have a spare bottle to post the ingrediants? i want to compare those.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
For risk of getting flames on this thread, I didn't respond but I use Toyota red based on Jaime's recommendation. I could be wrong but I trust Jaime a ton and he's been pretty spot on every time I've reached out for help.

Can't tell you that the Toyota red is better but it's worth the few extra dollars for my peace of mind...

are you referring to me as flamming? i hope not and hope i havent come across that way! just trying to get to the WHY thats all!!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 PM

Does your owners manual say anything about the type of coolant to use? If there is any problem with using other than OEM Toyota antifreeze there would be either a "caution" or "warning" in the owners manual. My 1979-1995 Toyota repair manual says to use a water/ethylene glycol based antifreeze. It also states to change coolant every two years/60,000. It does not state it has to be OEM Toyota antifreeze.

Do all you guys that say you have to use Toyota anitfreze use OEM Toyota oil too for "peace of mind"?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

good point, ill have a look tomorrow but i doubt it says use TOYOTA rad fluid. i am starting to lean toward what someone said earlier, fluid is fluid. as long as your flushing it when you change it, there seems to be no harm! i looked all over the net to find deffinative answers to the troyota red fluid and found NOTHING as to why one must use it
Old 09-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My bud at the Toyota parts counter tells me the Yota coolant does not have any silicates, which can cause premature wear on some cooling system parts(W'pump bearings?). Since I plan to rebuild my 22re in Whitey soon, it has 'generic' coolant currently, but my others have Toyota coolant ($17). Personally, I think its mostly academic, and prestige. When I had a Peugeot, they told you to use their special coolant, and it was blue. sheesh.... :pat:
Old 09-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Green, blue red, there all the same......thats like saying Penzoil is the same as Valvoline is the same as Quaker state. And I think we've all seen what Pennzoil does to engines over time.

I only use Toyota RED in the vehicles I own, and service. I have seen too many with the green generic coolant at the yard with bad head gaskets, rust, and scale buildup, as well as failed water pumps etc etc. Sure, the red vehicles will eventually experience the same problem if not serviced, but the green to red fail ratio is not even close. As the saying goes...you get what you pay for.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:30 AM
dz

Only use "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant" or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology. (Coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology is a combination of low phosphates and organic acids.)
I don't think green qualifies. Other long-life coolants probably do, though.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

As a matter of fact I do use Toyota oil. Here is what Toyota says about it.

Service Oriented Chemicals
Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant, with its distinctive red appearance, provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. This formula is extremely durable and because of its compatibility with non-metallic materials, it helps extend the life of water pump seals.
Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant is the same high quality red fluid that's found in all new Toyotas. Its unique formulation was developed exclusively to meet the specific requirements of your Toyota engine. Other benefits to using Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant are:

Will not clog radiators from silicone "gelling."

Will not corrode aluminum surfaces like coolants that contain borate.

Helps protect water pump seals.

Other than this I am done on this thread. Do what you want. it is your vehicle and I can only tell you what I believe to be true.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kdawghuntnfish
Does your owners manual say anything about the type of coolant to use? If there is any problem with using other than OEM Toyota antifreeze there would be either a "caution" or "warning" in the owners manual. My 1979-1995 Toyota repair manual says to use a water/ethylene glycol based antifreeze. It also states to change coolant every two years/60,000. It does not state it has to be OEM Toyota antifreeze.

Do all you guys that say you have to use Toyota anitfreze use OEM Toyota oil too for "peace of mind"?
Fireteacher, I wasn't talking about you on getting flamed but more like this. If I had a super old truck, maybe I wouldn't invest in the Toyota red but mine like yours still has some pretty good life so I want to make sure any little thing I do will help me keep this truck going.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...t/1272436.html
(last paragraph sums it up a bit but read all if you wish)
making a little more since now. maybe i will just suck it up and buy 2 gallons of the red. only reason being is i dont think i will be able to COMPLETELY flush the system and i am concerened that there is red in the coolant resevoir and green in the radiator. i guess i need the peace of mind also but i am still going to "TRY" to figure out the why's other than peace of mind.

ebelen: i understand!

strap: dont leave!!! lets try to find the reasons!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by fireteacher
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...t/1272436.html
(last paragraph sums it up a bit but read all if you wish)
making a little more since now. maybe i will just suck it up and buy 2 gallons of the red. only reason being is i dont think i will be able to COMPLETELY flush the system and i am concerened that there is red in the coolant resevoir and green in the radiator. i guess i need the peace of mind also but i am still going to "TRY" to figure out the why's other than peace of mind.

ebelen: i understand!

strap: dont leave!!! lets try to find the reasons!
I am still here.......$18.66 is Dealer retail per gallon. Ask your local dealer for a DIY discount. You may save a couple of bucks. You should be fine with one gallon.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

one gallon will yield 2 gallons of 50/50
the rad is 2.5 gallons (not sure if that includes the resevoir)

your suggesting using one gallon to fill the entire system?

Last edited by fireteacher; 09-11-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Sorry about that. I forgot you were flushing.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Green, blue red, there all the same......thats like saying Penzoil is the same as Valvoline is the same as Quaker state. And I think we've all seen what Pennzoil does to engines over time.

I only use Toyota RED in the vehicles I own, and service. I have seen too many with the green generic coolant at the yard with bad head gaskets, rust, and scale buildup, as well as failed water pumps etc etc. Sure, the red vehicles will eventually experience the same problem if not serviced, but the green to red fail ratio is not even close. As the saying goes...you get what you pay for.
I did not say they were the same. Here is my exact quote "It really does not matter what type of coolant you use to replace you stock Toyota coolant. One type is not better at cooling than the other." I am not saying one is better than the other, just both will work.

Yes, you are correct both types will develop problems if not serviced. Service interval on green is two years where the service interval on the silica free is 5 years. There are many people who do not change their antifreeze regardless of the recommended service interval. This is why you see the scale and crap more often it the green antifreeze.

Here area a couple of links that describe the differences: http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...ota-antifreeze and http://www.universallubes.com/LT-070...tifRainbow.htm

I plan on continuing using the much cheaper conventional green coolant and changing it every few years as I have been doing.

My opinion is: Fireteacher, if you wanted to keep the silicates out of the system (provided there is no silicates in your system now) and spend a little more I would check the antifreeze label for silicates. My guess it has no silicates (if it is for imports) and is very similar to the antifreeze Toyota uses. If there are none I would use it.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Fireteacher, I wasn't talking about you on getting flamed but more like this. If I had a super old truck, maybe I wouldn't invest in the Toyota red but mine like yours still has some pretty good life so I want to make sure any little thing I do will help me keep this truck going.
I'm not , I just like to debate with people who think that all things from the Toyota dealer are better just because they say Toyota on them. This is especially true with stuff like coolant which Toyota does not make, but only puts there name on the label and jacks the price up. I think this is an interesting topic although we may be reading way more into it than it deserves.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

here here on we are reading way more into it. its one of those topics where people will just do what ultimately makes them happy. i am caught in the middle here and i even called the dealer and the TECH said that if i flush it, put whatever in it. SO thats just where i guess people will always have there opinions about which is better. i too love to debate and have been known for wanting to know the WHY'S about things. a simple just because makes me dig even more!!

Last edited by fireteacher; 09-11-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Just use the RED......... Or what ever color makes you happy. Maybe use some food coloring to tint the same color as your vehicle. This is a no win arguement that I will never win and don't care if I do. To each there own.