General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Trail-Gear sliders $140 shipped

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would pay someone 100-200 at most for the job....
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
I would pay someone 100-200 at most for the job....
Then I guess you would be doing your own.......must be cheap where ur from, I quoted several shops......all of them were $300 ballpark
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by OSU4Runner
Then I guess you would be doing your own.......must be cheap where ur from, I quoted several shops......all of them were $300 ballpark
Aye, I had mine put on before we had welding capabilities at a professional offroad shop....How much does say Marlin or Trail Gear charge at their shops?

I would think a Trail Gear distriubtor/shop would be able to do it for pretty cheap since you are already giving them money. There are a LOT of TG distributors now
Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM

$300 is insane, you need to look into local clubs or ask for assistance, i'm only 1 1/2 hrs away from you and would have welded for free, or a box of chocolate chip teddy ghrams.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
$300 is insane, you need to look into local clubs or ask for assistance, i'm only 1 1/2 hrs away from you and would have welded for free, or a box of chocolate chip teddy ghrams.
If gas prices keep going up it will cost him more to drive 3 hours round-trip!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

I'd definitely say look for a local wheeling club. Aside from the tacking/welding. I installed my sliders by myself.

Last edited by Djlarroc; 06-04-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I'd definitely say look for a local wheeling club. Aside from the tacking/welding. I installed my sliders by myself.
i think that's what I'll do. Unless there's someone in so cal who has time and wants a free dinner...
Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM

i paid 250 installed for my sliders
Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM

I ordered them two days ago and they already came! Super fast shipping, and its free! I got them sliders for $130, then another $24 for the gusset kit. I spoke to the guy over the phone too, he was really helpful. Anyways, just letting people know that it was a pretty good deal. now I gotta get to installing them...
Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM

i have the TG sliders in my garage for about 8 months now, and it's still in the box. weld-on slider installation is something you want to do it once and do it right. from what i'm reading it's a 3-step process, first is to messure, cut, prep frame and tack weld. next is to take out, weld the scab, legs to the slider body, prep, paint, let the paint set and cure(in some cases, multiple times). 3rd would be final fitting, tag, weld the scab to the frame, touch up paint. it's not something you would go to the shop and have it done right a way.

i have seen someone paint their sliders with spray-on bedliner after it's welded, the finish was kinda messy, IMHO.

i have a Millermatic 250 welder, i'd like to weld it myself, but there are 2 things scared me off. first, quality of the weld, i'm just not that confident about my overhead welding skills. second, the placement is very critical, putting it on at the wrong place at the wrong angle, it won't do you any good.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 PM

oops!! double post
Old 06-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I really want a pair soon.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
i have the TG sliders in my garage for about 8 months now, and it's still in the box. weld-on slider installation is something you want to do it once and do it right. from what i'm reading it's a 3-step process, first is to messure, cut, prep frame and tack weld. next is to take out, weld the scab, legs to the slider body, prep, paint, let the paint set and cure(in some cases, multiple times). 3rd would be final fitting, tag, weld the scab to the frame, touch up paint. it's not something you would go to the shop and have it done right a way.

i have seen someone paint their sliders with spray-on bedliner after it's welded, the finish was kinda messy, IMHO.

i have a Millermatic 250 welder, i'd like to weld it myself, but there are 2 things scared me off. first, quality of the weld, i'm just not that confident about my overhead welding skills. second, the placement is very critical, putting it on at the wrong place at the wrong angle, it won't do you any good.
thanks for the advice. I'll probably be doing it within the next few weeks, mostly with the help of a buddy who has lots of welding experience. He's done all the welding on his truck, which looks good, so I think I'll be able to trust him to do a good job.

The Trail Gear website says that you should paint them after they are installed. Any reasons for recommending that I paint prior to installation? I think I'm probably going to use Rustoleum paint and primer. I already have some Duplicolor spray on liner, but I haven't been super happy with it thus far. Plus, I figure Rustoleum will be easier to touch up in the future.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM

when you get to welding the paint will cook off.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 AM

to properly paint with an aerosol can, you need to keep the nossel perpendicular to your work and 6 inches away, how could you do that after the slider is on?
whatever the material you are painting on, proper prep is EVERTHING. metal in some way, just like human skin, it has pores, which can deposit tiny oil particles. that is the cause of paint peeling off. i have painted skid plate on my old 94 with Duplicolor bedliner, it worked out really good. you need to be very patient, first, grind out the sharp edges, then wipe it down with gasoline soaked shop rag to get rid of the surface oil, grease. let it dry. at last, burn all the oil out with a bernzomatic butane torch.

on the other hand, it may take the bedliner just 5 minutes to dry, but it takes much longer to cure.

oh, by the way, do yourself a favor, go to harbor freight buy couple of these for $2 each, your fingers will thank you alot.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 06-14-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OSU4Runner
$300?!?!????? Jeez, for that much, I could pay tuition, and take a welding class at the local JC, and do it myself. Or just do it myself anyway, and if I do it wrong, spend some of the $300 I didn't pay someone else, and buy another set and buy beer with the other $150
Old 06-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
to properly paint with an aerosol can, you need to keep the nossel perpendicular to your work and 6 inches away, how could you do that after the slider is on?
whatever the material you are painting on, proper prep is EVERTHING. metal in some way, just like human skin, it has pores, which can deposit tiny oil particles. that is the cause of paint peeling off. i have painted skid plate on my old 94 with Duplicolor bedliner, it worked out really good. you need to be very patient, first, grind out the sharp edges, then wipe it down with gasoline soaked shop rag to get rid of the surface oil, grease. let it dry. at last, burn all the oil out with a bernzomatic butane torch.

on the other hand, it may take the bedliner just 5 minutes to dry, but it takes much longer to cure.

oh, by the way, do yourself a favor, go to harbor freight buy couple of these for $2 each, your fingers will thank you alot.

thanks man. When you used the Duplicolor bedliner, did you first primer the sliders? On the Duplicolor can it says to just spray directly on to bare metal. It still seems like a primer couldn't hurt though. thoughts?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM

nope, no primer as the instructions said on the can. the key is spray evenly and as thin as possible. if you over spray, it will create puddles. you can apply the second layer later buy gotta let the first pass cure(not just dry) competely.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:58 PM

who cares, if your gonna be on rocks and such the paint is coming off anyway. i painted all but 4" from the welding surface, weld them on. then paint the rest as best you can
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM

so how hard have you guys hit the rocks with these? i really want to get a set but dont want to waste money on anything thats going to fold right up the first time it takes a decent hit on a rock

Quick Reply: Trail-Gear sliders $140 shipped