General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
Ah ha...good point. The coil trick works if your parked for a while somewhere. Like at an air port, or something. Or if you don't want someone to drive your car for whatever reason. I've done it once, but I find that locking my doors is the best theft deterant.
I agree if you won't be driving the truck for a while it is an easy thing to do, and one that might save your truck from being stolen. It's just not an everyday thing.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 PM

I have seen a system that I thought about doing myself to prevent theft, it involves running the starter relay wire through another relay rather than (or as well as) a switch, and have the relay triggered by a system that is commonly used (parking lights for example) no extra switches to hide or find. I wouldn't however run the relay to the fuel pump, or ignition circuits, I can just imagine going down the road, turning off the lights, and the truck dies.

Chris
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 PM

would this fuel pump shutoff, ignition shutoff switches like 12voltguys, work ona a 22r, non efi truck?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by sh0kk86
would this fuel pump shutoff, ignition shutoff switches like 12voltguys, work ona a 22r, non efi truck?
It will work on any vehicle with an electrical fuel pump.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM

What if you hooked up a ford fuel pump inertia switch in line with the fuel system? It activates with a sudden acceleration of the vehicle. (for example, if vehicle is parked, and another vehicle rear ends you, it opens the circuit) then mount a switch to reset......

Or install a push button ignition switch and hide it. wire to ignition lock cylinder, on the starter circuit.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its really simple and I will lay it out again for ya.

Get a switch, an inline fuse holder and some 14 gauge wire. Figure out where the ignition or fuel pump relay is and wire it to that. Hide the wires well, then wire the switch into a place no one would ever think to look.

IE: Inside a panel you can partially peak back, behind the ashtray or glove box, in the center console hidden, under the dash in a good spot, etc. Make sure its a good place, I would personally think quite hard as to where you wanna wire it.

Wiring a kill switch to the battery is nice, but the computer will lose all its memory settings, your radio settings will need to be redone and so will the clock and until the ECU relearns it all its annoying.

Dont gotta be hi-tech, just good... My buddy had to do this for his old IROC, fuel pump wiring was messed up so he wired in a switch so he could manually turn the fuel pump on.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM

You should do a killswitch for two seperate items, but put them both on the same toggle switch. they would never think to try the same switch again after it didnt work the first time. You could have one direction run power to the starter, and the other one be something permanent. The trick would be finding a way to get the permenant one to stay on long enough to start when the switch goes the other way.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Intersting timing I just installed a Kill-Switch on my ignition last night and hid a very tiny switch in my cab.

My question now is, is there a switch out there that acts like this:

When the engine is running the switch is obviously on.. but when you turn the key to OFF and power is cut off to the switch I need the switch to turn off as well and reset it self to off... WITHOUT me.

this way you dont have to remember to turn the switch off everytime you leave the vehicle.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

*** 22r's don't have fuel pumps so no you cannot install any type of switch to kill the fuel unless you hooked up a solenoid of some sort but that seems overkill.

ALSO... anyone give us someinsight on how to install in a system that makes the horn go off? That would be sweet. Maybe a 2 way switch? So the off position connects the horn to something in the ignition so when the key turns over it makes the horn fire instead of the ignition?

btw, if you install a k/sw on the ignition the engine turns off but never fires... And we all know how much attention you get when you sit there and turn your car over and it never starts. +++
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Ahhh what i need is a switch exactly like the "clutch cancel" switch

you press it and it works only once and resets itself to off when the ignition is turned off.
hmm... back to reading. =p

Last edited by drew303; 01-08-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking of a huge actuator with a spike on the end right under your seat. If the theif trys to start the truck WHAM!!! Instant rape.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I was thinking of a huge actuator with a spike on the end right under your seat. If the theif trys to start the truck WHAM!!! Instant rape.
Until you climb out to your truck early in the morning all foggy brained and quickly realize your mistake of forgetting to turn a switch
Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Alright so I got to brainstorming ... this electrical stuff isn't easy. I came up w/ this schematic for a manual style ignition cut/off killswitch that activates the horn (when ignition is disconnected via Killswitch) when you turn your key (or the thief hot-wires or turns the ignition) to the ON position.

You could also set this up on the ACC, IG1, & ST1 (ACC, ON, START) w/ three relays in parallel... well the switch side of the relays in parallel.

This would make the horn go off if the key ever leaves the LOCK position when you disconnect the ignition via killswitch.. and when you turn the switch on to connect your ignition the relays would recieve power but the ground to the horn would be disconnected so it would not ground thus the horn wouldn't go off.

Basically all the relay does is open up a ground for the horn.

Now, I have no idea what type of relay you'd need or what amperage or voltage or that yada to back up the idea.

As far as I can tell this is the Clutch Cancel S/W diagramed:

The coil I presume is the relay that holds the switch open and the resistors are to limit the voltage to just enough to hold the switch open. But I dont get why theres a diode on the far right (right of the resistors).. Seems like power would just bypass the resistors and relay and go the ground. Electricity travels the path of least resistance and that diode is backwards, it doesnt force electricity through the relay but if it was the other way it would still serve no purpose... confused

The starter relay is grounded via the clutch s/w... but the way the cancel switch is diagramed the diode is backwards, it wouldnt act as a ground for the starter relay because the diode prevents the flow of electricity TO the ground when its engaged (or switched ON)... (if you follow the line down from the relay) .. That diode shows that it does not allow power to pass through it to the ground (out the line marked w/ a small 1)

--->|--- ... the arrow points in the direction that electricity can't flow.

Anyone shed some light here?

edit: probably lost ya'll on the clutch s/w ... I'm trying to figure out how it works because I want to understand how to incorporate a switch that does the same thing.. For example, in the off position (not pushed) it would engage the horns ground when you turn the key to the ON position (or all 3 positions) .. and when depressed or engaged it would disconnect the second horn ground and instead re-connect the ignition... then when you turn the engine OFF, it would revert back to the HORN ground .... making the whole process hands-free and worry-free. Automatic security engagement everytime the engine is turned OFF. Forcing you to engage the switch everytime you start your truck.

Follow me? ... Just wish I knew wtf the switch was actually called outside yota owners, dont know its technical name.

fyi, this whole design allows the motor to turn over but not fire. Maybe someone else can figure out how to incorporate a fuel pump cut/off into the schematic. I dont have a fuel pump so I didnt bother.

Last edited by drew303; 01-08-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol...I just keep one of these in my truck: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2721934

Last edited by Matt16; 01-09-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM

BUUUMMMPPP

hopefully someone out there w/ some electrical engineering knowledge can shed some light in here! =)
Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM

=( ... i still have hope
Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 AM

you guys got me thinking... what about using the horn as a kill switch? i'm no electrician just plain dumb ideas. assume you leave home in the morning, unlock the door, sit down, put the key in, honk your horn (very quick one), turn the key, you are ready to go.

this way, there will be no extra switch to add, also you don't have to spend your time to figure our where to hide the switch, if the lowlifes bastard knows there gotta be a switch somewhere, he/she will be wasting some serious time trying.

on the flip side, thieves don't want to honk the horns to draw attention. most of the car alarms will beep when lock and unlock, so honking the horn won't be a nuisance to the neighbors.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 01-11-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
lol...I just keep one of these in my truck: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2721934
You'd rape a donkey in your truck?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
CJM

The ignition or fuel pump is still the best idea, because the car will obviously crank over and over and over but wont turn over. This draws attention and the theif wont take the time to find the switch...

All you gotta do is hide the switch, it aint that hard..

Last edited by CJM; 01-11-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need a Compustar alarm system. best security ever! it warns the remote if something is going on with your truck. i have it. if people jack one side of your truck up. it sets the alarm off! it has a level sensor. and then just get an engine immobilizer as well and then if someone stole your rig,and you alarm tells you, just hit the immobilize remote and call the pigs in blue. you dont need a kill switch unless you dont follow the above suggestion.
back in the early 90's, Toyota put engine immobilizers in their Hilux surfs STOCK! but only in certain parts of the world, i guess Austrailia was one place, and i think the UK. but im not sure where.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
you guys got me thinking... what about using the horn as a kill switch? i'm no electrician just plain dumb ideas. assume you leave home in the morning, unlock the door, sit down, put the key in, honk your horn (very quick one), turn the key, you are ready to go.

this way, there will be no extra switch to add, also you don't have to spend your time to figure our where to hide the switch, if the lowlifes bastard knows there gotta be a switch somewhere, he/she will be wasting some serious time trying.

on the flip side, thieves don't want to honk the horns to draw attention. most of the car alarms will beep when lock and unlock, so honking the horn won't be a nuisance to the neighbors.

That would actually be pretty complicated to wire. All your horn button does is ground the horn.

Quick Reply: Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas