General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Road trip check list

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip check list

I plan on taking a trip from Memphis, TN to Germantown, WI, which is about 700 miles one way. This will be the first major road trip for my truck and me I've got a list of mechanical things to do before the trip, just the little quirks of the truck I need to tend to. But I also need help confirming and adding to a list of maintenance necessary before I take off.

So far I've got:
-oil change
-radiator fluid change
-check tire pressure all around including spare
-check clutch fluid and transmission fluid
-check washer fluid

I am currently building a mount for the bed for the gas and water Jerry cans I have, as well as building some kind of box for the back that will contain emergency oil, brake fluid, backup radiator hoses, and drive belts.

What am I missing?

I know your opinions will differ due to you not knowing my truck so well. So a quick description: she's an '89 Xtra cab 4x4 with the 3vze/5spd and a recent timing belt/water pump/front seals/etc change. Just added a camper shell to keep things dry on the road trip and college in a few months, so no worries on storage for tools, supplies, and all..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys.

Eric
Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

A towing or road service card

A good Credit card.

Cell phone.

Water and some food .

Having been in a few breakdowns on the road unless you are dragging your race car trailer . I have never had the parts or all the tools to ever get one of these fixed along the road.

while traffic flies by several inches or feet if your lucky from your vehicle.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
A towing or road service card

A good Credit card.

Cell phone.

Water and some food .

Having been in a few breakdowns on the road unless you are dragging your race car trailer . I have never had the parts or all the tools to ever get one of these fixed along the road.

while traffic flies by several inches or feet if your lucky from your vehicle.
Definite yes on all of those. You can get AAA, but its $$$. A lot of cellphone companies provide a roadside assistance plan for a few bucks a month. AAA gets you a year but if you're on a broke college budget you can just add the coverage for a month, then drop it. Make sure to add it a few days before the trip. Sometimes the companies have a 72hr waiting period so you don't try and add it AFTER you've broke down.

Tire patch kit and pump. A bike pump works in a pinch.

Hide-a-key somewhere on your vehicle. Tucked onto the frame is a little less obvious than under the bumper. Roadside plans usually cover lock-outs too.

Did you check the air in your spare? New wiper blades? Current registration and insurance card? Chilton/Haynes repair manual? Fuses, light bulbs?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM

Red face

It is not like this is a trip across the empty quarter or the outback of Australia

The jungles of New Guinea

Your going up the road from Milwaukee

but each there own the worse thing would be to break down in the Windy
Old 06-05-2013, 03:51 PM

i also like to make sure i have coolant and when the coolant bottle is empty fill them with water (save money on buying more coolant/washer fluid). set of wrenches, vise grips/pliers, a good knife, flashlight. pretty much a basic survival kit...something i keep in my truck always! never know when a zombie outbreak will happen!

KCCO!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is not like this is a trip across the empty quarter or the outback of Australia

The jungles of New Guinea

Your going up the road from Milwaukee

but each there own the worse thing would be to break down in the Windy
That's what the realist in me says, but the pessimist says to bring everything and the kitchen sink. The engine is strong, the transmission smooth, and the tires young, so I don't perceive any impending doom, but there's always that what if, you know?

Thanks guys for the information and tips. I very much so appreciate it!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
spare tire, a jack, 4 way lug wrench. hose clamps, various hoses, some electrical wire, connectors, extra oil, fluids, etc.

as well the other good suggestions
Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Red face

As long as you looked at things before you left .

anything minor should be good .

It is the oh boy ones wow the wheel and axle looks just like mine as it rolls past.

the vehicle ahead of you hits something just right on the road throws something through the radiator.

Heater core fails in Jan returning from Wyoming I can tell you having no defroster was the worse part.

the things that one just can`t plan for

One thing to keep a eye on is if your driving straight through I have seen some engines really start to use oil when the engine really gets warm.

Now if your really worried there seems to be some members in that area who I am sure would be glad to help you out if you have a mishap.

So start a thread looking for people along your route!!!

I was one a little paranoid carried every thing and the kitchen sink all the time. In my younger days and most often something happened i just could not fix.

It is good your going to school to have all these goodies along that will be used in normal maintenance of your baby!!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 AM

Red face

Take Friday i had a relay fail lost the headlights in the wee hours .

In the little rain and wind we were having .

things happen one can`t drag both the kitchen sink and the bathroom one along.

being able to pull the relay jumper the correct pins I was good to go till it quits raining

does not hurt to have a few assorted electrical connectors.