General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

pressure plate or hydraulic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressure plate or hydraulic?

I have been toying with this damn clutch for weeks now on and off in between work/school. The clutch im putting in is a centerforce dual friction, after a recomendation from a friend i used the drill press at my house to test the pressure plate and disk since they were not disengaging in my truck. Using the press to push the throwout bearing on the pressure plate which had the disk inside and was bolted to the flywheel the disk disengaged completely, but the diaphram springs had to be depressed what seems to be an unuaually far distance for this to happen. Thinking i might just be crazy I put the clutch back in my truck for the gabillionth time, bled the system, adjusted the pushrod back and still nothing, the system has been bled very thuroughly, and both master and slave cylinders are brand new, and have been pressure tested. The lines also do not leak. In addition the throwout bearing is also new.

When i look at the pushrod from the slave cylinder fully extended without making contact with the fork it is able to push out very far. however when it is touching the fork it cant move it far enough to disengage the clutch. due to a friends recomendation I am going to try reverse bleeding it with a small hydraulic pump aswell.

The part number on the box the parts came in is the correct one for my truck, however it appears that centerforce is far too lazy to engrave the part number on teh actuall part itself. My question is do you think that even if the disk and pressure plate have the correct spline, flywheel stud pattern, and disengage fine ouside the truck, could the pressure plate still be the wrong one, or could it be defective and still disengage?

Last edited by apalmer1; 09-29-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never mind, clutch was just defective, as suspected. not sure weather to try another centerforce one or order one from a different company. Admins delete please