General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

pre swap, engine break in questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pre swap, engine break in questions

Ill start by saying, ive searched, googled, etc.

I am close to dropping a freshly rebuilt 22r into my 80' pickup, before i do so, i need some clarification on a couple things

1st off, i have a brand new cam and rocker set, i know i need to rev it up to 2kish and hold it there for 20 minutes or so to break the cam in, then change the oil.

however, i also need to seat a new set of rings into a fresh cylinder bore....most of my research says to seat rings, the best way is to get out and drive it immediately and not to baby it or run it in your driveway for long (which i am supposed to do to break in the cam)
furthermore, from what i have read, if you dont get the rings to seat rather quickly the crosshatching in the cylinder wall will wear down making them less likely to ever get a good seat.

so my question is, will the 20 minutes of 2k rpm with no load on the engine make the rings less likely to seat properly? is there something im missing?

next question is, should i run the stock manifold for the break in period, i picked up a long tube pacesetter (i know i know, it was cheap, id rather have a thorley) or can i just bolt up the header and be done with it?

lastly, i would like to run all new exhaust, cat muffler pipe, all of it, mine is shot and is set up for 20r with single tube intermediate pipe to cat, so i cant even use it with the 22r stocker (2 into one pipe needed) how do you guys get to the muffler shop to have exhaust rigged up, without exhaust rigged up in the first place!? tubing, clamps and flex pipe? thats about the only way i see it working, i dont really want to break in my engine on an open header or straight pipe.

any input is appreciated, i know im not the first guy around this block.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
No answers but I want to hear it run with straight pipes. It's awesome. It sounds like a really pissed off 4banger