General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Night Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Driving

I don't know if I'm the only one here who hates night driving due to the glare from other vehicles. But, I do.

Any body have some tips (besides don't drive at night) to reduce the glare/blinding caused by other drivers?

Also....

The weather here can get "interesting" at times and headlights tend to suck. I've read some good things about the hella "yellowstar" bulbs here, and I've also read conflicting things about whether they are legal or not.

All I'd like to know is, would you run a set of these if they were really worth it in crappy weather. Simple yes or no, explain if you so choose.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I can say on how to reduce glare from other drivers at night it to not look straight towards where the cars are coming from. If I'm driving on the highway or whatnot and theres some bright lights heading my way, I keep my vision ahead, but instead of looking straight down the road, I glance off to the shoulder line and follow that until the lights have passed. I can still see ahead of me, and I'm not taking my eyes off the road at all, just focusing my line of sight to another point reducing the glare.

If its really bad, I just put on my sunglasses.

J/K
Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have seen some clear lense glasses that are made to reduce glare. Might check into these.http://www.polarizedoptics.com/night...g_glasses.html

Last edited by Paul H.; 11-04-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 AM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have used the yellowstar bulbs from rally and I can say they are a nice bulb but way too yellow. I guess that they are illegal because I was pulled over when I used them. He told me headlights must be (closer to) white and to get rid of them.
If you want an all weather bulb I like the philips weather vision which is slightly yellow and will not get you pulled over. They are also an improvement over white lights in fog/rain/snow.
http://www.autolamps-online.com/prod...thercentre.htm

I would also reccomend a set of amber fogs mounted as low as you can go. I love my hella 500s for the price.

Last edited by mdh; 11-04-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so is your problem from not being able to see at night or during rain, or is your problem glare from other peoples lights. If its the first one, my 2 hellas and 4 baja lights seem to do really good with that. I myself hate driving in the rain because of a previous accident but i feel much safer with all my lights because my visibility is amazing. Of course i do turn them off when i see headlights. If your problem is the glare then my best advice would be to just look away, at the little white line on the road. Not much else you can do about it.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
Any body have some tips (besides don't drive at night) to reduce the glare/blinding caused by other drivers?
Tint your windshield 50% and your front side windows 35%~. It will make a huge difference.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I thought it was illegal to have your front window tinted?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:37 PM

Just a side note, is your windsheild clean, inside and out?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Clean windshield

Good idea on the tint

Even when I look away, still can't see worth a darn. In a big city, it's not so bad, but out here, even the glare from just looking dead ahead is bad enough that I amost nailed a deer.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul H.
I have seen some clear lense glasses that are made to reduce glare. Might check into these.http://www.polarizedoptics.com/night...g_glasses.html
If driving in the city isn't a problem then I don't think you have as much of trouble with glare as in you are having trouble with your vision adjusting from light to dark and back. You should go to the eye doctor if it's that bad.

Before I would tint your windsheild and spend the money it cost to do that I would try the glasses that have been suggested. I also would try a "blue, baulb" for your truck lights, they give off the same candle light with less power drain and it is a softer light.

As far as driving in the weather yellow fog lights are the best! They have a defusing lenz that helps light up the road right in front of you.

Good luck, let us know? TJ
Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

You can try a pair of yellow tint glasses similar to what you would use at the rifle range. They are glare reducing and contrast enhancing, I used to use them at night myself, the only downside is they do slightly impede your vision in the city particularly when driving on poorly lit side streets with idiots stepping out in front of you. In the country though it should'nt be an issue.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 PM

more lift, so you are above the beam of the oncoming cars???

but serieoulsy, i notice that my 4runner does catch glare more than the other cars i have driven. (miata, yeah waay low, suburban, and alot of others. dont know if it is the glass or what, but it does seem to catch more glare. and i am lifted.) wierd.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

^
I noticed the same thing.
Get in moms lexus ande glare dosen't seem that bad.
Get in My Runner or Stepdads and I feel like everyone has there highbeams on...

I might actually check out those glasses...
Don't know if a lift would actually help that much...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KyleT
but serieoulsy, i notice that my 4runner does catch glare more than the other cars i have driven. (miata, yeah waay low, suburban, and alot of others. dont know if it is the glass or what, but it does seem to catch more glare. and i am lifted.) wierd.
maybe it has to do with the angle of the windshield?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:51 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My camry seemed the same way, while driving at night the combination of how low the 3rd gen is and perhaps the angle of the windshiled I often found myself blinded by ordinary lights. I used to look away from them, it works..

As for my T100, its higher up and the windshiled isnt so sloped so it doesnt bothe rme much, plus since I am taller the upper part of the windhiled where its tinted helps.

Consider getitng the top of your windshield tinted, its not illegal and will help depending on your height.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a pair of 'Slider' sunglasses from Smith. I use the 'yellow' lenses for night driving and they cut the glare pretty well. (Also keep my eyes from drying out when I have to keep some airflow going to avoid fogging.) For fog and snow I use the 'rose' lenses - really help eliminate the 'flat' light. Try Sierra Trading Post or Campmor for good deals.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by mtnfreak
Get a pair of 'Slider' sunglasses from Smith.
x2

I swear by my smith's/sliders for driving in crappy/foggy/snowy weather. the yellow lenses do have a pretty apparent "sharpening" effect. It was kinda coincidence, but I was at the shooting range one day, and then the lightbulb appeared above my head Any "yellow" lens should work, but as mentioned above, the slider's are great cuz you can get different colored lenses.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Lightforce lights.

They light up the night.
Yellow filters for fog, haze, or dust.
Blue filters for snow, rain.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by calrockx
Lightforce lights.

They light up the night.
Yellow filters for fog, haze, or dust.
Blue filters for snow, rain.
Have you managed to get away with blue filters on the road?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
Have you managed to get away with blue filters on the road?

i haven't tried, i don't have any blue filters. that's just wha the lightforce site recommends.

the yellow ones seem to be enough for me.

Quick Reply: Night Driving