General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Herculiner questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Herculiner questions

I know that there have been various writeups and such on herculiner, but I cant seem to find any when searching. Now I know that someone will post like 50 links to past threads answering most of my questions, but at the risk of getting flamed, I'll ask anyway.

I have no experience with paint/body work and am a little nervous using my baby as a ginuea pig. Up at the local Pep Boys they're running a sale on those DIY Herculiner kits, and with the snow season aproaching, I figured now's the time to stop dragging my feet on this. SO here's my questions:

1) What grit sandpaper is best to use? (I am planning on doing the bed and then a strip on the lower quarter running from front to rear bumper)

2) What is xylenol/xylene? They recommend using it, only problem is I dont really know what it is or how to apply it

3) Will the amount of Herculiner they provide in the kit be enough to cover a standard bed plus the other areas I want to cover? I figured it might because Toyota's are narrower than most full-size trucks.

4) Is there anything that I will need to get that is not included in the kit?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) If you get the entire kit, it comes with I think it was 2 pieces of the sanding tool you need, I know for a fact it's at least one.
2) I used Acetone, it's the same thing. I put in on an old rag and wiped my car down with it. It dries itself and i think that's all you do with that.
3) The amount they give you, if you get the gallon kit, should be enough. I coated my rockers/tailgate up to the body line, and put 3 coats on each and i still had 1/3 of a gallon left.

4) You will need gloves, old clothes, a painting sheet of you choose to do it in or around your garage or driveway, and a paint stirring tool. Make sure you wear gloves. My hand were covered for 2 weeks! And the clothes were ruined.

Good Luck! Hope it turns out great
Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Yea on the rockers I was planning on doing about half of what you did. Would you say that it was fairly easy or are there a few tips/tricks that I should be aware of when applying the actual product
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM

I was pretty nervous going into it but once I started sanding I just kept going. It is really easy but it took a total of 4-6 hours, I can't really remember. But most of that time is sitting around waiting for the coats to dry. I did the rear a couple weeks prior to doing the rockers and it didn't turn out as well.

It turned out more smooth than i cared for and not rough and gritty. The first time i didn't constantly stir and the rubber material settled at the bottom of the can, so keep stirring and stir for a good minute or two before each coat. And also i did the rear on a HOT day probably up near the 100's where I live, and i did the rockers on a day that was cool and breezy not too hot at all. I can't imagine that you will experience near 100 degrees when you do it in Ohio but be careful of the temp, too cold and it might be tough to apply.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks alot 94runner. This seems like it will turn out to be a very worthwhile project.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM

Not a problem man, it's definitely worth it, i love the look. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on covering up anything you don't want covered or splattered. Get a whole box of latex gloves. Wear glasses and a hat, too. The stuff doesn't come off easily.
Before you get started, get a couple of extra rollers of the same style that come with the kit. If you can't find 4 inchers, get a 9 inch and cut it in half. I found some at Sutherland's.
Xylene can be found at most hardware stores and just about any paint store. Careful - very flammable. Not good to breathe either.
Any spot that isn't roughed up or cleaned well will become your weak spot and that's where the liner will start peeling. Take you time.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

definitely cover stuff up.

1) Make sure you sand it. Buy some 60 grit sand paper. Even if you go down to the metal, don't worry. There CANNOT be any un-sanded surfaces, or the herculiner will peel right off.

2) Use a brush to dab on edges/tricky areas. It works really well.

3) The roller sprays if you roll too quickly. Also, if you have too much, you'll get drip, which is no fun to deal with.

4) Use a UV protectant in the mix. Mine has faded a bit. I sprayed it with a clearcoat, but I need to put another 3 coats of clearcoat on there for it to soak in and protect more from the UV.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM

I did the interior of my truck and love it. Make sure you stir it well. I used a drill and a paint stirrer, which worked really well.