General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

HELP - Sign the Toyota Petition - Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - Sign the Toyota Petition - Diesel

New Petiton as of March 26. This petition is aimed at Toyota Motor Company. Click on the link and read it... then sign it. Please forward to everybody. Thank You, You help is appreciated. For Diesel Toyota's

http://www.petitiononline.com/TOYD4D/petition.html
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

I talked to a Rep for Toyota Canada at the Auto Show in Calgary last weekend. He told me that Toyota is looking to have a Diesel in the North American market in 2 years. So we're looking 2009 or 2010.

It's not a matter of petitions. It's a matter of Toyota having a Diesel engine that they're are happy with and that meets the new stupid emissions regulations.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Sorry dude, but online petitions are like trying to piss an oil well fire out...
It's not gonna help anything...
Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

I emailed Toyota through their website in March of 2006 to beg them to put a diesel into both the Tundra and Tacoma. Their response:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Your interest in Toyota is appreciated.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200603210670. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience"

I think it boils down to a couple of things:
1. Kalifornia makes it hard for them to sell a diesel due to emissions requirements. If they can't sell it in Kalifornia, then Toyota is afraid to sell it elsewhere because sales won't be as high overall for that model.
2. Public opinion of diesel as nasty and smelly which is only recently changing.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They have been saying "diesel is coming in a year or 2" for the past 10 years.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 AM

Navyredneck--

IIRC the Kalifornistan diesel regs only apply to passenger vehicles. Which is why VW dropped the TDI temporarily in the US market. Light trucks are not as big of a problem because the regs are different.

Wouldn't be surprised if this happens when low sulfur diesel becomes standard in a few. Until then, we'll be waiting some more.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
IIRC the Kalifornistan diesel regs only apply to passenger vehicles. Which is why VW dropped the TDI temporarily in the US market. Light trucks are not as big of a problem because the regs are different.
The yes, the Kali air-regs are why there is no 2007 model VW diesels. They are still building them, just badging them as 2006's.

I'm pretty sure the new regs are applying to light trucks. GM and Dodge are both kicking up somewhat of a stink about their new emissions friendly diesels. The new Cummins in the Dodge has a EGR system (thus meeting the regs), and can run on low sulphur. I've heard no mention of an offering from GM though(just advertising for "pre-emission" diesels).

We'll get a diesel eventually, but I have a feeling that when we do it's not going to be in a truck. With Toyotas big Hybrid push I can honestly see the first diesel they bring to NA being a diesel-hybrid sedan.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are losing out on a lot of sales like the titan when they dont have a diesel in their line up
Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
there are losing out on a lot of sales like the titan when they dont have a diesel in their line up
Quite right. The only thing a friend with a Titan tow vehicle moans about is the lack of a diesel motor to pull his race GTI. And given that its a couple hours drive to Summit Point from here, thats a lotta petrol he blows through.

As for the Kali regs-- did a little digging around.

Yep, light-duty and heavy-duty vehicles are required to meet the new nationwide emissions standards for new vehicles. Additionally, low-sulphur diesel fuel is now out there, along with the increasing availibility of Biodiesel.

At the end of the day, Toyota would do well to introduce a USDM and CDM version of their diesels already offered in the rest of the world, assuming they can meet current emissions standards.

I will also take that one step further- many of the Euro manufacturers have had success developing hybrid diesel technology that could be beneficial to the North American market over the gas-hybrids from Toyota and Honda.

Imagine the throttle response wheeling from a Biodiesel-electric hybrid. Talk about tread lightly!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM

I just posted this....didn't see it has already been on here.....have had over 32 new votes the past day and a half....keep up the good work!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bill
I talked to a Rep for Toyota Canada at the Auto Show in Calgary last weekend. He told me that Toyota is looking to have a Diesel in the North American market in 2 years. So we're looking 2009 or 2010.

It's not a matter of petitions. It's a matter of Toyota having a Diesel engine that they're are happy with and that meets the new stupid emissions regulations.
It only has been a rumor that Toyota plans to bring in a diesel option until about two weeks ago they released an article I read saying they would have a diesel/ hybrid option by the year 2010 to start off with.....to me that?s not good enough. I have written Toyota also....maybe that is the best option.....or one of the good options.....
Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wtf is kali...i live in california

eastcoasters
=P

Last edited by kylextrisler; 08-20-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:32 PM

Anyone for a Diesel? Petition.

As many of you know Toyota makes quite a few great clean burning turbo diesels ranging from an efficient four banger to a powerful V8!

My goal is to provide Toyota with enough signatures stating that people in North America want these same options.....wouldn’t' it be nice to get 58 MPG in a corolla driving to work, then jump in your Landcruiser or truck on the weekend and get 25 MPG??? Well check out this petition started by Jay Awada and help us out....maybe we can make a difference. Thanks to all, Mike Shull.

http://www.petitiononline.com/TOYD4D/

Last edited by Mike Shull; 08-30-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Shull
I just posted this....didn't see it has already been on here.....have had over 32 new votes the past day and a half....keep up the good work!
I guess I have been here......oops sorry again....I just re posted.....dang it....I'm still trying to figure out how to use the computer I suppose.....where is that manual?

Last edited by Mike Shull; 08-30-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Has anyone heard back from Toyota lately? I usually write them a few letters a year...and they seem to respond with in a few weeks...haven't heard from them in six weeks! I think they have given up the faith.......I suppose they are too busy making batteries...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Totota already has clean burning diesels in NA... they call them HINOs... they just are having trouble putting them in the yota trucks I guess... lol
add me to petition