General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

fyi: OME leafs don't use the same bushings as stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fyi: OME leafs don't use the same bushings as stock

hi all,

i'm at the end of a stressful day. just figured i'd share something i learned the hard way.

i bought OME cs009s for the rear of my 88 Runner. these are the medium duty leafs. i also bought new shackles, and a complete bushing kit from Energy Suspensions. all of this from 4wheelparts local store.

i was going to self install, but it's just been too damn cold, and i needed this done by this weekend, so i bit the bullet and took it to an alignment shop to get them put in. 3 hrs labor = $250. ugh.

turns out, the ES kit comes with 4 bushings that are larger than the shackle bushings. these are for the front eye of the spring.

but the OME leaf has eyes the same size on both ends. essentially i should have bought the OME bushing kit, which i gladly would have if the 4wheelparts guy knew to advise me of this. i had no idea the OME eyes would be different than factory eyes.

anyway, i had to borrow a car, sneak out of work, drive out to a joint that had some bushings in stock, and found some CJ somethin' or others which was close. i took 'em to the shop and they grinded them down to fit.

now i'm being told the factory u bolts are a bit short for the size of the new leaf pack. another chunk of info that would have been nice to know in advance.

if i had to deal with this issue doing it myself on the ground, i would have been really unhappy. so the $250 became money well spent.

take the info for what it's worth. i just figured i'd share. i really hate running into an issue mid way through a job.

i'm gonna pick up the truck, drive it the weekend to settle the springs, then go back and change out those u-bolts, adjust the t-bars to level it, as i expect to have to go up, and then have it aligned. should be good to go.

have a good weekend y'all
Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Thank you for the information. Make sure to post some pics, as i'm looking to replace my well worn leafs as well.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
add'l info:

you will need new U-bolts, because the new packs are 4 + 2 overload, vs. 3 + 1 overload i had stock. they're not long enough. another half inch would do it.

also, expect to deal with driveshaft issues. i changed my shackles, went to a 1.5 over stock length. this is actually shorter than what i had in there, which was a 9" hot rod shackle the p.o. put in to compensate for flat stock leafs.

but my geometry is apparently off as i have a terrible vibration happening. so i'm going to the driveshaft shop on monday.

sorry if you've seen this in my "help" post and it seems redundant; i was expecting this to be only an fyi thread for people searching OME leaf install info. i certainly was NOT expecting to be seeking help myself on what seems to be a d-shaft out of balance or U joints not at equally opposing angles now.