General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Front end damage/ Frame slightly bent

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end damage/ Frame slightly bent

I picked up a 91 Runner fairly cheap last week, it had front end damage and other that that it was a really nice looking truck. Also it has only 78k original miles!! That's the main reason I bought it. Anyway, after getting the front end off I noticed the the frame on the passenger's side is slightly bent in toward the engine.
So the question is: is this going to be ok? Or did I just buy myself an engine on a junk Runner?
Attached Thumbnails Front end damage/ Frame slightly bent-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Also, I will post a pic of the frame asap. Didn't think to take one as I was kinda pissed at the time. lol
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm...... My suggestion to you would be take it over to a local Front End Alignment shop and have them check it out before you ever start to fix it. Around here alignments only run 35 to 50 dollars. If they check the alignment and get it set to the right specs then I'd say it would be okay. I'd rather spend 50 bucks before spending hundreds only to find out that you have junk.

Think of the bright side tho. There's alot of usable parts there. Or better yet sellable parts
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Hmmmm...... My suggestion to you would be take it over to a local Front End Alignment shop and have them check it out before you ever start to fix it. Around here alignments only run 35 to 50 dollars. If they check the alignment and get it set to the right specs then I'd say it would be okay. I'd rather spend 50 bucks before spending hundreds only to find out that you have junk.

Think of the bright side tho. There's alot of usable parts there. Or better yet sellable parts
Thank you! And yes lots of usable and valuable parts. But hopefully it is still drive-able. It tracks fine when being pulled, so I sure hope its okay. And the interior is immaculate. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM

after the collison was it deemed a write off? From the canadian, body mans perspective. If a vehicle is written off, it needs to pass a full inspection in order to be registered again. Thats why most people up here always have the VIN checked before buying a vehicle.

I'm not trying to be negative but just saying how it is.

So If it was written off. Up here it would have to be repaired in an approved body job by a journeyman technician. The whole repair would have to be photographed (like a build up thread). and after all the body work is completed and documented it has to be sent to get an inspection. Once it passes the body and the mech inspection it can then be registered and legally driven. Once again...this is in Canada, I dunno what your rules are.

if you can visibly see that the frame is out. that means its out a LONG ways. When I do frame repair, all the measurements have to be within 3mm (little less than 1/8"). Our rule of thumb: if its bent, fix it. Ifs its kinked, replace it.

Around here, you would be laughed at if a vehicle had visible frame damage and you wanted it aligned. If ANYTHING goes wrong with it from that point on that shop would be liable.

Figure out your local rules and if the vehicle is written off and go from there. If you don't mind, how much did you pay?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
after the collison was it deemed a write off? From the canadian, body mans perspective. If a vehicle is written off, it needs to pass a full inspection in order to be registered again. Thats why most people up here always have the VIN checked before buying a vehicle.

I'm not trying to be negative but just saying how it is.

So If it was written off. Up here it would have to be repaired in an approved body job by a journeyman technician. The whole repair would have to be photographed (like a build up thread). and after all the body work is completed and documented it has to be sent to get an inspection. Once it passes the body and the mech inspection it can then be registered and legally driven. Once again...this is in Canada, I dunno what your rules are.

if you can visibly see that the frame is out. that means its out a LONG ways. When I do frame repair, all the measurements have to be within 3mm (little less than 1/8"). Our rule of thumb: if its bent, fix it. Ifs its kinked, replace it.

Around here, you would be laughed at if a vehicle had visible frame damage and you wanted it aligned. If ANYTHING goes wrong with it from that point on that shop would be liable.

Figure out your local rules and if the vehicle is written off and go from there. If you don't mind, how much did you pay?
Well as far as what i paid, I picked up 2 runners for $2000. The one in question and a 93. The 93 is in perfect condition body-wise, but doesn't run. the guy wasn't sure why and hadn't messed with it at all to find out. And the 91 (the one in question) which runs good, and like I said it has only 78k original miles.
I don't think the one with the damage was written off, the guy I bought it from said the guy he got if from got a quote of $2800 to fix the damage and instead he just sold it off cheap.
I got ahold of a friend who does body work last night and he said its fixable and should be ok. He asked if it was kinked, I told him no just a gradual bend. So hopefully all is well. And as far as legality i have never heard anything I will double check with my buddy and see if he knows anything about it.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM

A good body frame shop has no problem getting the frame within spec.We do them all day long.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Sounds like a good deal! Even if you decide to not repair it, you can easilly get your money back if you part it out so your set! Like said above, a good shop can have that frame straight in no time!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM

1985 pick up

Ok guys I'm very new at the forums stuff... So I just bought a 1985 Toyota pick up oldest one I have I Also have a 89 extra cab dd a 94 dd and a wrecked 1992 so I can't find this anywhere... Will a 1992 wrecked in the rear whole front end fit the 1985 hood finders grill headlights bumper doers what ever it takes the 1985 is just sooo rusted out the 92 is perfect just rear end smashed
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Chdgust8932
Ok guys I'm very new at the forums stuff... So I just bought a 1985 Toyota pick up oldest one I have I Also have a 89 extra cab dd a 94 dd and a wrecked 1992 so I can't find this anywhere... Will a 1992 wrecked in the rear whole front end fit the 1985 hood finders grill headlights bumper doers what ever it takes the 1985 is just sooo rusted out the 92 is perfect just rear end smashed
Since your new at the forums stuff your jumping in the another thread that has nothing to do with your question that I really didn't understand. Go to newbie tech section or heck your talking 85 94 92 89, ah now I'm confused. Go over the forums a little more before you post anything. Read search read search post in the correct section, and welcome

Last edited by Discombobulated; 02-27-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Ok thanks but Dk why you can't just answer if you know? Will a 92 front end go on a 85 with some fab all I need to know!?!? I you can help me
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM

And been over and over and over them can't find one thing on it, it's been like a 6 hour search just need to know a yes or no
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chdgust8932
And been over and over and over them can't find one thing on it, it's been like a 6 hour search just need to know a yes or no
Yes the front end from a 92 will bolt directly to the 85. People do it all the time for that updated look.