General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midiwall. That is one nice and clean set up.. The Viair is smaller, but the extremeair will fit. I just need to move the little ABS box down toward the air intake box. Above where I was refering to your setup is where you mounted the air tank. I thik I'm just going to mount it where the spare goes. It seems the easiet place to go in right now. I want to get this done soon.

I do have another question though. Where you mounted the compressor to the fender wall. What did you use? Can I just drill a hole, and attach the compressor there with some bolts? It looks like you have some type of mounting plate in place there?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:17 PM

Didn't I post pics of mine? I thought I did and cant find it... I think i need a break and lay off this coffee.....

I mounted my 2.5gal tank under where the spare *was* made some brackets... if you wanna know exactly how let me know...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks ducky. Let me wait till it gets here, if I can't figure it out, I'll ask again.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Lars,

Do you think standard 3/8 house will melt if it's mounted off of the air manifold he plans to use? I've used standard air hose directly off an ARB compressor for a couple years and never had any problems. Now I'm running standard air hose off a manifold connected to my viar and it's holding up fine.

Fuel line is a good idea though. It doesn't cost that much more. Plus it's black so will blend in much better than most air lines.

Originally Posted by LarsDennert
Don't use standard 3/8 air hose at the compressor. It will melt. I used 3/8" Fuel line from an auto parts store. It can take the heat and the pressure. Make sure you are using a check valve at the compressor too.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 PM

I had regular air hose melt right at the fitting coming out of the compressor. When it melts, it pops off the fitting even with a clamp on it. I use about 2 feet of fuel line to the water separator and then regular cheapy air hose for the rest of the system. I think the compressor cylinder head soaked heat into the hose. I don't think it was so much the temperature of the air coming out that did it. Some air hose may be more heat resistant than other. Mine didn't stand up to the heat.

I did it your way with the ARB compressor too. The difference being that the ARB has a tank so the distance to the hose is great enough to disapate the heat. I ran that way for a few years. Now I run a separate manifold:

Last edited by LarsDennert; 04-07-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdastg1
Midiwall. That is one nice and clean set up.. The Viair is smaller, but the extremeair will fit. I just need to move the little ABS box down toward the air intake box.
Oh, it's not as clean as it looks, but thanks!

I had to move my cruise control box to get it in there, and I think I've heard from other folks that they have the ABS box up there. No sweat, that stuff moves easily.

Above where I was refering to your setup is where you mounted the air tank. I thik I'm just going to mount it where the spare goes. It seems the easiet place to go in right now. I want to get this done soon.
Ahh! Yeah... With the tank size that you ended up buying you won't get it in where my little 1 litre is.

I do have another question though. Where you mounted the compressor to the fender wall. What did you use? Can I just drill a hole, and attach the compressor there with some bolts? It looks like you have some type of mounting plate in place there?
What you see the edges of is a hack, just two pieces of simple flatbar to reach across the mounting holes in the feet of the compressor.

If I were to do it again, I'd fashion a full plate to bolt the compressor to, then bend a 3/4" lip into the top of it and hang it from the top of the fender rail. One thing that's an issue with this location is that the vibration from the compressor causes sympathetic vibrations in the body/chassis and it's kinda' loud in the cab when it's running. It's not _real_ loud, but it's actually louder inside than when you're standing next to it with the hood open.

Your ExtremeAir may be even louder in this spot...

One big suggestion, the compressor has a lot of mass, so it's heavy in a small space. Remember that you're gonna be bouncing around and you really wanna mount it down solid. Right now, I have some dense foam pad (from a cheap set of knee pads that I picked up at Lowe's) that's sitting between the flatbar and the fender, then under the compressor head and the top of the airbox. It's all in there pretty solid, but in hindsight, it's probably not a good idea to have that weight on the corner of the airbox.

Bottom line... support the compressor well. Think about bouncing over a mound and getting airborn.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:44 PM

Im looking at getting an arb installed poss. fr and rear what is the guy charging for the install and have you regeared or is that part of the process?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by transalper
Do you think standard 3/8 house will melt if it's mounted off of the air manifold he plans to use? I've used standard air hose directly off an ARB compressor for a couple years and never had any problems.
Some of the connections on mine (air horn support) are the hard 1/4" hose like ARB uses in the lockers. I had a chunk of that burst on me on a trail.. It sounded like an aerosol can exploding - but worse, it was about to leave me without air to put back into the tires.

I did a quickie field repair and got air, but I also got a finger wagging from The Boss Dude out here in the Seattle area (WATRD). Now, I can't say that I've gotten rid of all the hard line, but I did get rid of a lot of it, and what's left has been moved away from major heat sources and is in a non-critical section of the plumbing. All the critical stuff is the 3/8" "safety orange" line that you can buy at Lowes and such. It's reinforced with embedded cord and has held up REAL well to heat - and that includes the additional heat I generate from running headers.

Rob's (WATRD) rule is "no plastic line under the hood" and I think it's a good one. That said, the 3/8" fuel line would be awesome to use in this application.

I'll side mention that a Sunday-or-so ago I had a chance to look at a member's new ARB install on a late model Tacoma. One of his lines was running from the air manifold on the passenger fender well, through the tranny tunnel, across the top of the tranny and down a frame rail to the rear locker. I would think that's a bad spot to be running hard airline 'cause of the heat trapped at the top of the tranny in the tunnel. But, it didn't look like the line was showing any signs of being malformed...

Even so, my preference would have been to run it across the top of the firewall on the engine side, then down to the frame rail and back just to keep it way from the heat as much as possible.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by guinness
Im looking at getting an arb installed poss. fr and rear what is the guy charging for the install and have you regeared or is that part of the process?
I have a bud helping with the install. But to have it proff. done I was told about 350 for the rear and 650 for the front, that included dropping in the gears. This did not include running the lines to the compressor.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

wow lots of good info here.

ok let me finish putting in this winch and then fri/sat I will try to get someone to fab a plate for me for the compressor. So I should bolt the compressor to a plate then to foam (or plastic maybe) and then to the body. And then stick foam under the compressor. I'll try to keep it high enough so it doesn't lean on the air box. It comes with four mounting brackets already, that should be secure enough, right?

How often does the compressor run though? If its just running lockers and has a 2.5 gallon tank then it shouldn't be that often. and when your airing up tires your outside the rig anyway. I hadn't even thought of this.

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-07-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:37 PM

Depends... If you turn it on (assuming you have the ARB harness) to use your lockers your compressor switch has to be on...

if your just using your lockers once you fill your tank (at least on mine)
Ive been able to use my lockers off and on again quite a few times before my compressor turned back on...

filling up tires... your compressor will go on cuz that 2.5gallon tank is a boost of air for your tires but drains pretty quickly... Im not sure what your duty cycle is, but mine turning on for a long time isnt a problem since its 100% duty cycle.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

The extremeair is supposed to be 100% duty cycle
Old 04-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
How often does the compressor run though? If its just running lockers and has a 2.5 gallon tank then it shouldn't be that often.
I actually sat in my old truck and tested this out. It takes a while for the novelty of the air locker to wear off. With a 2.5 gallon air tank filled to 105 psi, I activated and deactivated my rear air locker around 40 (yes forty) times before the compressor reactivated.

Here's my Viair450 setup. The red air line from the manifold is standard air line. The blue line from the solenoid is enclosed in red air line just below the relocated cruise control box through most of the engine bay to protect it from heat and abrasion like midiwall is talking about.

Last edited by transalper; 04-07-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:11 PM

Thanks sdastg1
Those are the kind of numbers Ive been quoted for install. And Id be running the compressor and wiring myself.
I wish there were more 4runner guys w/ the knowledge to do the install in my area.I guess Ill rely on the Jeep guys for now
Old 04-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by guinness
Thanks sdastg1
Those are the kind of numbers Ive been quoted for install. And Id be running the compressor and wiring myself.
I wish there were more 4runner guys w/ the knowledge to do the install in my area.I guess Ill rely on the Jeep guys for now
Make sure you find a guy who has worked on toyota locker installs before. I found lots of 4x4 shops where all they do is work on jeeps. So solid axle drop locker/gear drop in is easy. With the IFS there is some other things you have to pull out. You have no idea how many times I heard "Why don't you sell this and get that Rubicon jeep"

Just make sure you foind someone who has done this a few times before.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:26 PM

Guinness, you should have no problems running the air lines and installing the compressor and wiring, that stuff is real easy. Where are you located, Middletown, what state.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 PM

sdastg1, I hear you on the jeep guys, this guy has worked on late model toyotas and the ifs, thats why he quoted me the numbers he did. He really thinks that the arb and gear install is a PITA in the yota's. He actually told me that the front locker install would be ess. free if I did it at the same time as the re-gearing. Otherwise it would cost an add. $500 for it in the future.

Runnerboy Im in Middletown NY, I wish I was further south where wheeling (and mechanics are more common) but Im stuck here for now. Why were you going to do the install for free asd guarantee it for life LOL. Ive been internally debating the mods and cost for weeks now and still am not sure what to do. Ill end up ordering everything while Ive been so I can live w/ my decision.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Here is what I'm getting from Mike @ Extreme (again great service)

Extremeair 105 psi Pressure Switch
Extremeair 100 amp relay (continious duty)
Extremeair maxi-fuse holder w/two 80 amp fuses
Extremeair One way check valve
ARB Rocker switch w/o cover
ARB RDCKA switch actuator

Wheewww :pat: That should be it, I hope. I contacted the Fab guy and he said he would try to get me in on Sunday.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:59 PM

no i wouldnt do it and gaurntee it for life but i would have offered to do the gears, and show you how, once youve done it a time or 2 you get the hang of it. toy locers are easier to set up than a jeep if you ask me, cause you can do it on a bench, you dont have to crawl under the truck.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Geez this is a great thread, lots of info for me to use and lots of good links of places to get parts. I really need to school myself on air compressors, and air systems. Even though all this is for 3rd gens I think I can get what I need to make these things(ARB lockers) run in my 85'. I can't wait, I only hope I can have it in and ready for Tellico in May. If not I'll be stuck riding along :pat:.

Quick Reply: Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)