General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Change to syn. oil in high milage trucks
OK
74.30%
not OK
25.70%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2016, 02:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Engine Guides
Browse all: Toyota Tundra Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Change to synthetic oil on high miles truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Change to synthetic oil on high miles truck

Is it okay to change to snythetic motor oil on vehicles with more than 100,000 miles?
Old 03-04-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno, but I'd like to find out too.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, depends...i remember posing this question when i got on here and the answer i got was something along the lines of the particles in synth is smaller and if you have been using dino oil, and you switch over..the synth particles may be smaller and you may have leakes...or SOMETHING to that extent...but anyways..i was hesistant and decided not to...i'm sure someon else can better explain the jumble i just explained....sorry if i confused anyone...
Old 03-04-2003, 05:15 PM

I run synthetic in my truck and I'm rapidly approaching 150k. And don't let the miles fool you - I just did my emissions test yesterday - I was so far below the permissable amts you'd think the truck was new or at least the engine was. If you are very concerned about the oil being too thin then try 5w40 Mobil Delvac or Shell Rotella. If you have leaks then yes the leaks will probably be worse but I personally have never seen a non-leaking engine start leaking because of synthetic.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have never heard of that happening.
I have been running Amsoil 10-30 now for a few years on my engine.

The chassis has over 170K on it, and my engine has around 55K or more on it.

I just had the Amsoil taken out today, and new put back in, and I have been running this last batch since August.

I checked it yesterday, and it was right on full, not a drop burned, or leaked, and the oil looked almost like it was new.
Not dark like dino oil would be.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Victor
If you have leaks then yes the leaks will probably be worse but I personally have never seen a non-leaking engine start leaking because of synthetic.
Victor is absolutely correct. Synthetic oil will never cause a leak. There has been and continues to be a lot of incorrect information out there relative to the "evils" of synthetic use in older/high mileage vehicles. They are all a pack of BS. If your engine leaks a little with dino, it will leak more using synthetic but will do so while keeping your engine a little cooler, better protected lubrication wise and will increase your oil drain intervals to name a few. As far as flushing your engine prior to using synthetic, it's a good idea but isn't really necessary.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM

I have worked at a Grease Monkey for over a year and had a good talk to a Mobil 1 rep. They say that it is ok for you to put in Synthetic in your engine.

I hope this help, this is what Mobil Had to say about it:

Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

http://www.mobil1.com/why/myths.jsp

Last edited by trd90toyota; 03-04-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:33 PM

Sounds like a good info trdtoyota just put out. I used Amsoil 10W30 synthetic oil in my engine since new and I never had any problem with synthetic. The engine now has 89k miles and I changed my oil every 7500 miles. I have an Amsoil 10W30 since August and I have not had the chance to change the oil yet but every time I pulled the dipstick for inspection the oil always appear new, no burnt smell or anything and I can still feel that viscosity.

So I guess if your high mileage engine is in good working condition, using synthetic won't make it leaks.

Noel
Old 03-04-2003, 08:43 PM

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I read somewhere not long ago that you shouldn't put synthetic in a high mileage engine that has been on dino oil its whole life. The reason was that the detergents in the synthetic oil would break loose deposits left by the dino oil. Like I said, I don't know if it's true or not, but it's something else to think about. I actually started putting synthetic in an 83 Toyota pickup with 106k miles the day I bought it. If I had it to do over, I don't know if I would have done it, but it's been over a year, and (knock on wood) no problems yet. It did worry me when I read that though. If I can find that article, I will post the link here.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

The question I have is: Is it OK to put synthetic oil in a NEW engine? The toyota dealer told me not to use synthetic until at least 5,000 miles because they said the engine would not break in properly.

Anyone know if thats true?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I changed mine to amsoil at 150k after running dino the whole time and I'm at 170k now. Before I switched I burned very little oil. Now it seams I have to put a quart inbetween each change, but my change intervals are now 10k rather than 5k. Other than that I have found nothing wrong. I haven't found much of an improvement either though. I did run the amsoil engine flush too.

Steve
Old 03-04-2003, 09:00 PM

I can't find the exact article I read, but here is a similar one:

http://www.pecuniary.com/faq/high-mileage.html
Old 03-05-2003, 04:09 AM

Good to hear all the positive AMSOIL stories. I have a case of their gear oil on the way to put in my diffs, tranny, and transfer case. I'm hoping to switch to their motor oil eventually too.

AMSOIL actually has a very strict "switch-over" process that involves using their motor flush, with a fresh filter, to loosen and remove all the old deposits in the engine.

I'm going to start using Mobil1 Synthetic with a few frequent changes to do the same thing. After a few 1500 mile changes with the Mobil1, the engine should be pretty clean and ready for the AMSOIL.

I'll probably even drop the oil pan and clean that out as well. Alot of gunk can collect there.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Royal Purple

What's the story with Royal Purple. Is this stuff any good?
Old 03-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Woodbert
The question I have is: Is it OK to put synthetic oil in a NEW engine? The toyota dealer told me not to use synthetic until at least 5,000 miles because they said the engine would not break in properly.
Anyone know if thats true?
Definitely false. In 2002 Porsche and Corvette came from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic. In 2003 Ford says they are using synthetic from the factory in 5w-20 weight. I do know neither Mobil 1 nor Amsoil makes a base IV 5-20 synthetic. Mobil 1 does not make a 5-20 synthetic as they say there is no American made vehicle possessing an engine with tolerances for the 5-20 wt oil but that's for another thread. Castrol's synthetic is ALL a base 2 synthetic, which isn't a true synthetic but they did win their lawsuit in court against Mobil 1 to advertise their oil as a full synthetic. Amsoil makes a 5-20 called XL-7500 synthetic, which is also a base 2 synthetic trying not to loss market share with new American cars calling for 5-20 oil. The only reason even the synthetic oil companies state to go one oil change with whatever oil comes with a new vehicle is to prevent "hassles" with your warranty, as if the vehicle comes defective from the factory they will stonewall and try to blame the synthetic oil company. Once you feel your engine is solid, AOK etc. change over.

Originally posted by Sporin
Good to hear all the positive AMSOIL stories. I have a case of their gear oil on the way to put in my diffs, tranny, and transfer case. I'm hoping to switch to their motor oil eventually too.
AMSOIL actually has a very strict "switch-over" process that involves using their motor flush, with a fresh filter, to loosen and remove all the old deposits in the engine.
__________________________________________________ __

That's basically a marketing ploy and more profit to Amsoil and not actually needed. I don't know the make-up of Amsoil's flush but one of the very best flushing fluids for your engine is made by Lubriplate and is called CFL Oil, part number L0859-054.

Last edited by Joe; 03-05-2003 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:57 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

I just changed my oil yesterday and I thought I would try some of that High Mileage Oil. For vehicles with over 75k. Have you guys tried this?
Old 03-05-2003, 09:23 AM

I've used the high Mileage old before. I really didn't notice a differance in the oil thought. If you go with a high mileage oil I would refer you to Valvoline Maxlife. I belive that Valvoline has the cleanest oil (non- synthetic oil) out on the market. if you pour it out in to cups and compare it to, say, Penzoil or Quaker State (both Penzoil and Quaker State are made by the same company), the Valvoline looks much cleaner. So my vote is for Valvoine.

One thing I forgot to put in the synthetic part was the synthetic blends. I have learnd that a majority of the blends only have about a 1/4 of synthetic oil in them. One Blend I know for sure that is like that is Quaker 4x4. I can't see my self justifying paying for that oil when I could get a full synthetic for a couple of bucks more.

Know that I have made my big stink I hope this help also!
Old 03-05-2003, 05:27 PM

Personally I would wait until the first oil change. Many cars come from the manufacturers with a special breakin oil. Even though many cars come with synthetic oils I wouldn't put it in a new engine that didn't come with it - the cam and valvetrain may not be ready until the break in oil has its lifespan in the crankcase.

As for detergents - ordinary oils have a lot more detergents. Synthetic is parafin based - synthetic will keep waste in suspension but doesn't actually have the detergents to scrub like ordinary oils do.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I guess I'll wait to hit 5K before I switch.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JSB
I just changed my oil yesterday and I thought I would try some of that High Mileage Oil. For vehicles with over 75k. Have you guys tried this?
I made the switch to Valvoline MaxxLife (20w50) 3 oil changes ago as my engine is just a TAD bit over 75k.... ....I'm at 217,000 miles and counting! ( )

This oil seems to get brown a lot faster than the old Havoline 10w40 I was using before, but it could just be me too. Time is proceeding far too quickly.

While we are the topic of oils, what doe the numbers in oil mean?
like 5w40 10w40 20w40 20w50 etc....

Steve

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-05-2003 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Change to synthetic oil on high miles truck