General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

CAUTION : Genuine Toy. fuel filter defective !

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAUTION : Genuine Toy. fuel filter defective !

I changed the fuel filter on my 98 4runner this weekend. What should have been a 30 to 40 minute job at best took well over 3 hours with 3 trips back to the stealer.

In short, the new filter was badly machined and the flare seals on the end of the fuel lines would not seal.

After I changed the filter and started the truck, fuel literally poured out of both ends of the fitting.

Another 40 mins of re-tightening and cursing later, still one end leaked. A trip to the stealer to compare with other filters and make sure I did not need a copper washer or something (I did not, its a flare fitting) and I discover that the filter I have has threaded end fittings that look like a steel or aluminium material and all the others look like brass.

Ok, back again, still no joy.

Back to stealer to speak to a "Master Tech" ... that was fruitless, he said just get it really tight. Hmm, guess he has not heard of the 25 ft lbs in the FSM.

So, I order a new fuel line, the one from the tank side to the filter which is where it is leaking and imagine not having the truck until Tuesday when the parts come in.

On a whim, I decide to put the old filter back... well there is a shocker... it does not leak at all.

Back to the dealer where I almost literally hurl the filter back at the parts dude and wrestle one with brass threaded fittings out of his hand. One of the cashiers says... "Oh, you smell of gas.." no chit sherlock

Anyway, back home again, second new filter fitted, seals both ends with limited torque on the flare joints.

So, BEWARE, delaer supplied filters can be badly machined and leak and I would say DO NOT USE THE ONES WITH THE STEEL OR ALUMINIUM looking threaded fittings, only use the brass ones.

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 07-31-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

this is what makes me nervous to change my fuel filter
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

That sucks that happened. Maybe you just got a bad unit. I changed mine with an OEM part from O'Reilleys without any issue not too long ago. Took maybe 15 minutes after I wrestled the old part off. I dont remember what material the fittings were.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by msw0085
That sucks that happened. Maybe you just got a bad unit. I changed mine with an OEM part from O'Reilleys without any issue not too long ago. Took maybe 15 minutes after I wrestled the old part off. I dont remember what material the fittings were.
I have had good experiences in the past with my 96, 99 and 93 so I was not expecting an issue. The real problem was persuading the parts dude that this was a parts issue.

David
Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
I have had good experiences in the past with my 96, 99 and 93 so I was not expecting an issue. The real problem was persuading the parts dude that this was a parts issue.

David
EDITED TO ADD:

A set of new plugs and a new fuel filter and I think acceleration feels as good as it was before I went to the 32's.

I had twin electrode plugs and the gaps were around 60 to 80 thou !

David
Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you did the same tune up I just did. I went with NGK plugs and Borg Warner "custom" wires. ... whatever custom means..
Old 07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lol i cant even get the nuts loose on the filter im pretty sure all i did is round them off
Old 07-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Not saying you are in the wrong, so don't take it that way please. It is certainly poor service to get bad parts more than once...and especially in one day.

Perhaps if you got to know your local "parts dude(s)" by name(s) at the dealership he/they would look out for you better. I find it makes life much easier to work at developing a relationship with people in the service industry at places that I frequent.

Whether or not the guys in the parts department like/hate me, cheer/swear when they see me coming, they know I make them money when I get the parts I need, so they have always gone out of their way to take care of me.

It only takes a little extra effort to be nice, to smile and learn people's names. After working in "PR" for over 10 years in probably the hardest PR environment on earth, you'd be surprised what a difference it makes to someone when you call them by name.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Not saying you are in the wrong, so don't take it that way please. It is certainly poor service to get bad parts more than once...and especially in one day.

Perhaps if you got to know your local "parts dude(s)" by name(s) at the dealership he/they would look out for you better. I find it makes life much easier to work at developing a relationship with people in the service industry at places that I frequent.

Whether or not the guys in the parts department like/hate me, cheer/swear when they see me coming, they know I make them money when I get the parts I need, so they have always gone out of their way to take care of me.

It only takes a little extra effort to be nice, to smile and learn people's names. After working in "PR" for over 10 years in probably the hardest PR environment on earth, you'd be surprised what a difference it makes to someone when you call them by name.

You are way of base here but I appreciate the comments. Not aimed at me in this case. They had just not had this concern before so were a little incredulous.

I also may have written it wrong. I took the original filter back to compare and as , at that point, the assumption was the fuel lines were damaged, it seemed natural to stick with the 'new' filter.

I did not take offense.

David
Old 08-01-2006, 12:36 PM

we recently had the filter chanded on our 01' 4Runner at the dealer during a tune-up. when we got home we found a large leak comming from the filter area. the dealer towed to the truck back at their coast and replaced the filter with a new one wich has not leaked. The service writer wasextremely shocked, said he had never seen one do that before.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM

I was wondering how much you paid for the dealer filter?I've heard of people having issues with them.I paid $21.00 for a NAPA Gold a week ago,it took ten minutes to change out and no leaks.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:13 AM

I bought a genuine one for my 94 4runner recently and it did the same thing.....They told me the nuts on my fuel lines must be damaged and I would have to get new fuel lines (I didn't even think to retry the old filter).......Anyway I ended up just getting a ford fuel filter, a small amount of hose, and some clamps, and fitted it all up....works a treat, and the filters a 1/3 of the price of the toyota ones!!