General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Which air filter do you feel is the best?
True Flow
52.73%
Amsoil
34.55%
TRD
12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Best performance filter on the market? True Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best performance filter on the market? True Flow?

This poll is for foam style air filters that are re-oilable, which we all now know are superior to gauze type filters.

What do you think is the best replacement performance air filter? There is something new out that most don't know about...

I've seen a lot of air filters in my time and thought the Amsoil was the best. When they changed to the newer stage-two filter, quality seemed to drop as it's now contracted out by a 3rd party and constuction just isn't the same. I now have the True Flow filter in my own truck, finally, and I must say it improves upon the 1st gen Amsoil design with superb quality.

Others feel free to chime in. Most might not know about this new air filter, but I think it's going to be the next best thing.

Some posts on the filter:

Trueflow air filter, by BruceTS

True Flow air filter Review, by purplehazek4

True Flow, by 4x4fink

True Flow Air Filter, by thunder cloud

Last edited by Jason B; 12-22-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed a lot of posts on these true flow filters. I just watched the video and im still not convinced. I wish they would have compared it to other performance filters like Amsoil (which i have), the trd, or K&N. Has anyone seen tests like this?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

This will be fun until someone get's upset...Seriously I love mine in My Application...Will you all see the same results...Hell Idono...

No new info from me...been COLD as hell...Tire Pres is always a factor...When it's cold you loose Pres...Gear Oil gets sticky...Tranny Fluid, same with your oil... I have't lost anything as far as fun...did I lose mileage...Hell Yaaa...Why?...Read Above.

There have been others on other boards that have bagged any type of aftermarket air filter...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70480

Everyone has a right to their own opinion... don't forget about application!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

I have no experience with either of the other 2 filters listed but from I have heard and read True Flow is the real deal.

I have it in my rig and I love it, there was a power difference, no S/C but still noticeable.

I vote True Flow.

Fink
Old 12-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

I have not heard much on the True Flow filters.....I'd like to see some Dyno results before I thow my Amsoil in the trash.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:44 AM

The TRD is not a foam filter is it ???
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I have not heard much on the True Flow filters.....I'd like to see some Dyno results before I thow my Amsoil in the trash.
and the Amsoil filter I have (about two years old) has now been replaced/ upgraded, so I am all sort of confused. In the mean time I will keep my filter clean and wait for some more testing.....
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 AM

I have only used the factory and the True Flow. I am very pleased with design and performance of the True Flow. If anything is better I would like to see it along with alot of proof and clarification. From what everyone has written about the TrueFlow; I am now a believer and follower. You can't go wrong with it or Jason as far as customer service.

Merry X-Mas
Old 12-23-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
aye. I have two (one to use while the other one is drying)... That's a bit of change to toss.

But we do all love ya' Jason!
Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Considering I have seen the test first hand, compared against a stock filter, K&N filter and Trueflow. I'm sure the Amsoil would have had similar results to the Trueflow, but the construction and fitment is far superior.

I voted Trueflow to be the best on the current market and I have personally used all the other's in the past.

The TRD filter is a re-badged K&N filter.... not foam
Old 12-23-2005, 05:43 PM

what about K&N???
Old 12-23-2005, 06:39 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get True Flow to make one for the 3.0!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beast
what about K&N???
As a long time friend pointed out to me...

Can you see individual dust particals? Nope.

Can you see holes in the K&N filter if you hold it up to the light? Yep.

If the holes are bigger then the dust particals, then how does the filter stop the particals? IT Can't.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I have it in my rig and I love it, there was a power difference, no S/C but still noticeable.

I vote True Flow.

Fink
A couple of months ago I did a spark plug change and noticed a big performance boost. Especially on hills. No down shifting required.

If the true flow increase in performance is similar then I'm game for one.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

It probably won't be as much as replacing bad plugs, but it is definitely more peppy...do it with the deckplate and ISR as I did and it's great!

Merry Christmas Eve!

Fink
Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Foam and gauze type filters scare me. I'd like to see some actual SAE testing comparing their filtration effectiveness to traditional OE style filters.

Last edited by spindleshanks; 02-10-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spindleshanks
Foam and gauze type filters scare me. I'd like to see some actual SAE testing comparing their filtration effectiveness to traditional OE style filters.
Go here and view the video at the bottom. This should address most of your questions.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo..._truflo_96u_v6

I love my True Flow. Still trying to get one for my car. (they don't make an APPL yet)...

I don't fear the filtration quality of this filter at all and I am very Anal when it comes to my Runner. I do however worry about that POS K&N in my Grand Prix.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
As a long time friend pointed out to me...

Can you see individual dust particals? Nope.

Can you see holes in the K&N filter if you hold it up to the light? Yep.

If the holes are bigger then the dust particals, then how does the filter stop the particals? IT Can't.
I've been using K&N drop-in filter since day one. That means since '85, in all the cars that's passed my hands to the current ones. I haven't had any problems at all even after all occasional dusty desert trips I've had. And ofcourse, gotta love the price that I get them for. Cost!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

I would not put a K&N air filter in any car, personally. They just don't filter worth anything. This is CLEARLY indicated in any UOA (Use Oil Analysis) done on oil where the air filter was a K&N. The Silicon ALWAYS reads too high for comfort, no matter what lab you have test it. Silicon = dirt = premature/unnecessary engine wear. Check out the bobistheoilguy forums if you don't believe me.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

ask paddlenbike (Ken) about his MAF sensor that got all plugged up on our Death Valley trip. He was running a stock paper filter that was completely clogged, fortunately he had a TrueFlow filter with him. Ironically he took out his TrueFlow and installed a stock filter for this trip thinking it would do a better job. I took mine out to see how dirty it was, then showed the other side and it was spotless, I still haven't cleaned the filter, I'm testing just how long it will go before it plugs up completely.

Quick Reply: Best performance filter on the market? True Flow?