General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Anyone have a panoramic sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a panoramic sunroof?

I'm seriously considering having a panoramic sunroof installed. One of my best friends owns an auto trim shop...he does aftermarket leather, sunroofs etc etc., and he does a great job I might add. He's willing to install the roof for me at dead cost, with a never ending warranty. Now I'm trying to decide between the rag-top (will cost me about $600CDN) or the glass (about $750). He had the rag-top in his car which I loved, but has now switched to the glass which I love even more. I'm leaning towards the glass one because it looks so clean. Anyone have any opinions or experiences they'd like to share? Reasons I shouldn't do this (besides the fact that I could spend that $$ on other mods )

Tried to find some better pics, but this is all I have right now
Glass: http://www.inalfasunroofs.com/uploads/Panoramic%20Roof%201(6).jpg
Rag-top(electric): http://www.inalfa-sunroofs.com/foldingroofs.html

I can also get heated leather seats with built in massagers at cost...but I think I'll hold off on that for a while.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Haha..so 22 views, and no one says boo. Looks like I may be the guinea pig for this one.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:04 PM

go for it
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Glass. 'nuff said. I love having the sunroof cover open all the time. It's so much brighter in the truck, without it being overly bright. It also adds a feeling of a way larger cabin, which I like as well. Of course, make sure its tinted glass...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Depends on what you ultimately want to do with your vehicle I suppose. I think the rag top would be sweet if you camp in your vehicle. Just roll it back and get a great view of the stars and fresh air.

Seems like that big hunk of glass would just be another thing to worry about breaking off road. Then again... $700 would put you real close to a ARB... which would be better offroad than any of the roof mods.

Would the body get flexy without the roof? If you ever flopped or rolled, what would the effect be?

Take pics if you go for it. I am sure we would all like to see the finished product.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Well, does the glass slide in to the roof or over top? if over top id forget about it.
As much as it is a nice option, I would refrain from putting a 750$ sunroof into a 95. Im never a fan of adding what i can not remove if the truck died or if I sold it, especially if it was 12 years old.
But..if you are dead set on it, get the glass. It may make a better seal, and you are in BC., and you can enjoy it when it is even closed.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
Depends on what you ultimately want to do with your vehicle I suppose. I think the rag top would be sweet if you camp in your vehicle. Just roll it back and get a great view of the stars and fresh air.

Seems like that big hunk of glass would just be another thing to worry about breaking off road. Then again... $700 would put you real close to a ARB... which would be better offroad than any of the roof mods.

Would the body get flexy without the roof? If you ever flopped or rolled, what would the effect be?

Take pics if you go for it. I am sure we would all like to see the finished product.
I was wondering about the body flexing off road too. The installer tells me it shouldn't, maybe very slightly but not enough to actually damage anything. Was hoping maybe someone on the board would have experience with it. As for the arb...I know, I've been trying to make up my mind about this for a while. The only thing that sways me towards the roof right now, is that he just got a notice from inalfa and the price is going up by $250 soon. He has 2 left that he can sell me at the cheaper price.

edit: as far as rolling goes, the roof is designed to maintain the structural integrity of the veh..so in theory it should be ok. Unless of course you end up with glass everywhere.

Last edited by rubysRunner; 03-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 PM

oh ya;
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ragtop+sunroof
Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Well, does the glass slide in to the roof or over top? if over top id forget about it.
As much as it is a nice option, I would refrain from putting a 750$ sunroof into a 95. Im never a fan of adding what i can not remove if the truck died or if I sold it, especially if it was 12 years old.
But..if you are dead set on it, get the glass. It may make a better seal, and you are in BC., and you can enjoy it when it is even closed.
The front half slides over the rear half on top. As for leaking, my friend has never had a problem with either of them in the BC rain. If it did leak I'd just take it back to him and tell him to fix it.

Thanks for the link to the write up..was searching last night, but I wasn't having much luck. I was pretty tired tho, so perhaps I just missed it.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
Glass. 'nuff said. I love having the sunroof cover open all the time. It's so much brighter in the truck, without it being overly bright. It also adds a feeling of a way larger cabin, which I like as well. Of course, make sure its tinted glass...
This is the main reason that I want it. And it's so big that my rear passengers can also enjoy it...oh that and I have no a/c.

Hey where you moving to in BC?? Good to see you're coming back anyway..I tried Alberta for a while. Lasted about 2 1/2months before I missed the mountains & trees too much.