General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

4k upgrade how to make it count

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4k upgrade how to make it count

Hey, my name is zack I'm new to the toyota truck world. All thought not new to the automotive forum. Here the deal I'v got a budget of 4k to spend in upgrades on my truck. It a 1999 toyota tacoma extra cam TRD V6. IF this was a car my first investment would be a exausht and a intake system. Followed with some coilovers. But this is'nt car. And I'm not going to lie and tell you I know any thing about trucks. I'm looking for more power but want to also increase my suspension. Please e-mail me or post some idea or thought. I appreciate it. PS whats a turbo kit run for if some knows
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

run a true flow air filter or Amsoil.
do a search for the deckplate mod.

don't waste your $$$ on an FIPK.
my buddy localmotion has a new magnaflow muffler for sale too.

OME makes great suspension and check the vendor advertising section for some great prices on a lift....

other companies that sell lifts are:
Old man Emu
All-Pro
Downey
Marlin Crawler

and search for the Tundra/TRD thread...a lot of reading, but great info and a great setup.

welcome to YT too

Last edited by FilthyRich; 04-16-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the club! Have you visited TTORA? www.ttora.com. You and I can find more Tacoma related stuff there. Yotatech is awesome, but it leans toward 4Runners.
6 months ago my answer to your request would have been different. I spent a lot of time debating a supercharger, which you could do for $4k (much less if you install it yourself) then decided against it. If you seriously want power gains, this is the only way. don't waste your time with chips or dual exhaust or any crap like that.
Regardless of the kind of wheeling you do, you could get a good cat-back exhaust for a few hundred. Just a drop in the bucket. The hp gains won't be incredible, but the exhaust note will be.
I got a 3" susp lift via Toytec and OME for about $400 http://www.toyteclifts.com/ then a 2" body lift for less than $200 http://www.4crawler.com . If I had $4K to start with, then I'd still have enough for new rims and tires (33" MTR's or something)
You can also afford some nice coilovers (search on Donahoes, Kings, Camburgs, etc.) That would give you the best suspension travel, and a couple inches lift too. But they'e expensive.
If you're gonna consider serious 4wheeling, you've got a good budget to afford a winch and bumper. That's a great piece of equipment to throw a big chunk of money at. This is a popular one: http://www.arbusa.com/tacoma_tundra.htm The ARB bumpers are cool, but I think they destroy your approach angle. I'm currently having a custom bumper and Warn combination built to the tune of about $2k on my 03 Tacoma. If you just want some trail armor, there is a great package deal at AllPro Offroad, with rock sliders and bumpers for $1400 http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.p...ask=view&id=97
Ok no, wait, I'm getting carried away....here, get this:
http://www.demello-offroad.com//cata...903aebd42f146b
Have I scared you off yet? lol. good luck buddy.

Last edited by spindleshanks; 04-16-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Hey thanks for info guys keep it rollin. I was lookin at a TRD supercharge 190-265 then some coil overs and a exaust sytem then I'm back to ground zero. But I'v got exposable income being a single guy in the army. Hey all suggestion are welcome. Once again thanks for the info
Old 04-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to Yotatech!

$4K is a great place to start. Pretty decent amount.

You are getting good advice so far from ^ guys. TTORA is great for Tacos but lots of info here also. Not that diff from Runners in front and the rear is just leafs which is easy day.

Give us a better idea of what you plan to use your Tacoma for and we will be glad to help you spend you $$$.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:10 AM

The FIPK is a waste like FilthyRich said. I have one on and I could have gotten the same results for $200 less if I did the deckplate. It isnt much gain but it was noticable. if you are looking for suspension lift do a coilover. but if you are only looking for an upgrade in quality go OME. they lift your truck about 2" until you take it wheeling then they sag to about stock height.
Spindleshanks is right TTORA is a good help for us tacoma guys. I just like this forum better
Old 04-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

my buddy just lifted his 2000 Tacoma ext. cab with the All-Pro setup--coilovers, diff drop, upper a-arms, new leaf pack and Bilstein 5150 shocks.
It cost around $1700 and he installed it himself.

Great setup, even though the 3/4" diff drop really needs to be 1". Another thing though, he uses his truck for work (contractor) and had to add longer rear shackles to compensate for the saggin' booty. All-Pro told him their leaves are designed for off-road, NOT weight. The new shackles took care of the problem, but that cost him another $100.

I like his setup, but would either run OME, Alcan or Deaver leaf packs in the rear.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:55 AM

Well I'm not lookin for real big lift. I think that going to far off JDM specs is bad idea. Of course I don't know a lot about trucks. But I really dont want a lift higher than 3''. Well I'm looking to buff my engine up, but keep wear on it down. I also want to increase the handling abilitie a little. For now I'm lookin at light off roading. LOOKs ar'nt a big factor now I would like to beable to increase my engine performance and increase my suspension slightly. Like said I would like to go turbo or super charge. Any suggestions.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:29 AM

If you decide to do a supercharger DO NOT leave off the fuel mods....you will ruin your engine (if you didn't already know). If you do some searching around in here you will find a wealth of great information on the supercharger subject...turbos are cool but I'd go with the supercharger (smoother power). I'm sure you'll get some better help than I but thats just my .02