General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

3.4 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
DD is my Toyota Gawd. I'm using initials 'cause I didn't really want to bother him if he didn't want to be bothered. ya' know?
Got it... sometimes (rarely) I'm slow.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update...

DD got the head on Thursday, the machinist has it now. The other head is done and DD has it at his place. The next shot at turning the key will probably be this coming weekend. I dunno if there's anything else that we can find wrong!

{oh crap, there I go borrowing trouble again!}
Old 02-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Update...

DD got the head on Thursday, the machinist has it now. The other head is done and DD has it at his place. The next shot at turning the key will probably be this coming weekend. I dunno if there's anything else that we can find wrong!

{oh crap, there I go borrowing trouble again!}
We have our collective fingers crossed for you Mark! Best of luck on the initial build.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 PM

If I send all you guys incense and votives, will you light 'em up and dance around them while chanting towards the sun before Venus rises above the horizon??
Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

If I send all you guys incense and votives, will you light 'em up and dance around them while chanting towards the sun before Venus rises above the horizon??
Sure, if there are any left when you are done with them!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

update... update... update...
Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 AM

I'm heading over to DD's in the next few minutes. Both of the heads are done and all of the parts are ready to go.

Block into the frame, bolt up the tranny, put the valve body back in, put the heads on, valve covers, injectors, top of the engine, SC, hook up a couple of wires and turn the key.

Should be only 2-3 hours right?

heh.

It's gonna be a LONG arse day.

If DD and I can get the block back in and the tranny bolted up with the valve body, then I can do the rest. He's got other stuff going on today, but if I pace myself, I should be able to get it done.

If nothing else... there will be new pictures to share.

Last edited by midiwall; 02-11-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

I'm heading over to DD's in the next few minutes. Both of the heads are done and all of the parts are ready to go.

Block into the frame, bolt up the tranny, put the valve body back in, put the heads on, valve covers, injectors, top of the engine, SC, hook up a couple of wires and turn the key.

Should be only 2-3 hours right?

heh.

It's gonna be a LONG arse day.

If DD and I can get the block back in and the tranny bolted up with the valve body, then I can do the rest. He's got other stuff going on today, but if I pace myself, I should be able to get it done.

If nothing else... there will be new pictures to share.
Right, pace yourself... get it right. Home stretch!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Update!

So.. we got a bit hung up by a knock sensor cable. The original one was brittle enough that the connector pulled apart. DD ordered a replacement, but they came up with the wrong part. So, we couldn't do a ton, but... DD got the block in and one of the heads on. I got the starter rebuilt and the valve body in. we'll get together again on Tuesday and be ready to push to the finish.

pics! (click for larger ones)

Pretty heads! (with the ground cams!)

Port & Polish:

The crack!

That crack is wild... It went all the way through the port. I'm thinking that the decision to NOT weld was definitely the right one.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crazy fun

did you o-ring the block? i highly reccomend doing it.

after reading this i wonder if this would help anyone with the HG issues on the 3.slow?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
did you o-ring the block? i highly recommend doing it.
I looked into it, but decided against it. From all that I read, o-rings are good from 12psi and up. I won't go turbo, so the max I'll be pushing is 10psi on a good day. In the end, the added cost just wasn't going to be worth it.

Last edited by midiwall; 02-12-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive done it for my datsun L-series because ive had HG issues and pushing the CR over 10:1 justifies the upfront cost vs doing the HG over.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM

regarding o-ringing the engine.. I KNEW I had more info somewhere! I found it in message #5 of this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...06&postcount=5

The machinist in question builds race engines for a living. You may too, but I'm gonna go with my guy on this one.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Update!

DD and I worked on the truck some more... Tranny's back together, bell housing's bolted up, heads and valve covers are on, exhaust is back together, plugs are in and intake manifold is on.

Left to do.. Power steering pump, alternator, injectors, fuel rail, heater hoses, electrical... all top of the engine stuff.

Tomorrow will be turn-the-key day. Absolutely, no question about it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

You're a slave driver Mark. I see posts of work going on during new years, the superbowl and now Valentine's day.

Just saw this thread for the first time Who would have thought you could pop a Toyota engine by bolting up a super charger, putting in Supra injectors, a piggy back ecu on top of a piggy back ecu, 0.5" pully, 37 degree colder plugs, 49 degree colder thermostat and driving it like a Ferrari? (did I leave anything out?)

Glad to see you are "almost" through this ordeal. Although I'm sure you have lots of tuning planned after it's running.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM

HEY JESSE!

I just got back from DD's, so it must be time for an update...

GOOD NEWS: IT RUNS! It started on the 2nd kick of the key. Idles very nice. It's WONDERFUL to hear THAT sound again!

BAD NEWS: No tranny response. The "A/TP" light is on (red light, middle of the right edge of the dash panel). The light goes out when I pull it out of park. But, "park" doesn't seem to really exist. When the gear selector is showing "PARK", you can hear the pin ratcheting to try to fall in.

Running through the gears show no signs of the tranny catching anywhere. We're very sure that the torque converter is bolted in. And the ratcheting against the pin seems to support the theory that the tranny is actually spinning.

I'm off to search the forum and the 'net and to write to IPT. But in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas...
Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 PM

HAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I'm such a flake!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2878

I forgot to check to see if the transfer case was in neutral, then that means the ratcheting would have just been a need to adjust the tranny linkage. dang I was tired.

"argh".

(now, to my "credit", DD didn't think of this either!)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Last edited by midiwall; 02-14-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Waterboy
Just saw this thread for the first time Who would have thought you could pop a Toyota engine by bolting up a super charger, putting in Supra injectors, a piggy back ecu on top of a piggy back ecu, 0.5" pully, 37 degree colder plugs, 49 degree colder thermostat and driving it like a Ferrari?
Exactly!! Otoh, the fact that Mark can fix (one way or another) whatever he breaks is very cool.

Congrats Mark.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by rdharper
the fact that Mark can fix...
Ummm, there are sometimes other folks involved as well. I couldn't have done the rebuild without DD (or someone else as qualified). There are limits to what I can do on my own, but they're expanding as I do (re: "break") more things.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:52 AM

There are limits to what I can do on my own, but they're expanding as I do (re: "break") more things.
Congrats on getting it up and running .

It's amazing how things "break" so easily .

Quick Reply: 3.4 Rebuild