Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Will these tires and wheels fit with this lift???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will these tires and wheels fit with this lift???

Hey my name is Matt. I am new to this forum and need advice with my 1994 Toyota Pickup.

I just ordered a Supreme Suspension BJ Spacer and AAL lift. The lift comes with a differential and sway bar spacer to bring everything back close to the stock angles.

I am wanting to run 33x12.50's with 15x8 wheels...Will this clear without rubbing or trimming?

These are the wheels and tires i am wanting to buy:

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/bu...3&height_to=33

Please help me out and let me know if this will work or not.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Will these tires and wheels fit with this lift???-series31_black_white.jpg   Will these tires and wheels fit with this lift???-wrangler_duratrac_black_top2.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey Matt welcome to yotatech. Those should fit fin you might have to bend your pinch welds in a bit but over all should be no problem. Just FYI in the stickies in this newbie section there is a what fits thread. (The 6th thread down if your using the app). It covers more information than you probably knew existed about what tires fit what suspension. Check it out. Again welcome to yotatech.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes they will fit fine. Cliky here --> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tickys-242840/
Old 01-14-2015, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Welcome to the forum! Yes they will fit fine. Cliky here --> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tickys-242840/
OK nevermind....i went back and looked at those pro comp 7031 wheels that I picked out and the lug pattern was wrong... Will that same wheel but in a 16x8 fit on 33x12.50 tires with a Bj spacer and AAL lift?

**from what I can see they only offer the correct lug pattern for my Toyota in those wheels in a 16x8
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i don't think they're going to work for you. i looked up the 7031 and there are only 4 that fit toyota lug pattern, but unfortunately the 16" version has 4.5" backspacing -- this is pretty close to stock backspace, but i'm fairly certain you'd have issues fitting the wider tire and clearing your a-arms. it's possible they could fit something like a 255-85/16, but not sure if a 285-75/16 will fit and clear. wheel spacers could also work if you're set on this wheel.

my truck is a 93 xcab and I run 33x12.5 Toyo MTs on 15x8-3.75" wheels. front has BJ spacers and rear has OME leafs - all 4 corners are at 22.5" from center axle to bottom of fender. I had to pound my pinch weld flat and trim a little metal from there and from the bumper/valence area; in back, i still rub slightly at bottom rear corner of fenders with a loaded bed at full flex. i have ~0.5" between inner sidewall and upper control arm. hopefully this gives you an idea of what you'll end up with. you can search for pics of my rig.

Last edited by highonpottery; 01-14-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM

So I'm confused with all this backspace stuff but... From what I understand if the wheels I want are close to the same backspace as the stock wheels on my truck then why would they not clear? I thought that the lesser the backspace number then the wider the wheel which will definitely cause clearing issues...
By the way... I can't find any pics of your truck lol
Old 01-15-2015, 09:27 AM

yes, backspacing is confusing to me too as there are too many possibilities if trying to maintain minimum width, when you start factoring in backspacing/offset vs wheel width vs tread width.

my thought on this is: the actual wheel would fit fine on the truck, since the backspacing is the same - but in your situation i don't think it will clear because you're trying to fit a 1.5-2" wider tire at the same time. stock wheels 15x7-4.75. with a 31x10.5 tire you'd have approx 3/4" clearance between the inner sidewall and the UCA (at least this was the case on my 93 pickup - stock wheels and 31" michelins) if you are putting a 1.5-2" wider tire in there that's got a heavy sidewall tread protruding out (like the GY-DTs or an MT tire), you're not going to clear the UCA and you'll likely ruin your tires. on the other hand, you're increasing diameter to 16" and a 285 has 11.5" width - it's really really close IMO and i think you'd have to ask a tire shop or someone who's got 285-16s on their rig vs a 33x12.5.

i am no tire or truck expert, i'm just sharing my personal experience with what went down when I wanted to upgrade my own truck. with 15x8-3.75" wheels and a 33x12.5" Toyo, my clearance ended up as this:
Name:  114da636.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  78.8 KB
not a great pic, but it's roughly 1/2"/pinky finger width.
and here's a side shot to give an idea of my ride height vs tire size:
Name:  0733a59e.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  174.9 KB

tip on searching images - do site-specific google image search + content you're looking for. usually helps me.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Your truck looks awesome with the lift height and tire size. Thats pretty much what i am trying to make mine look like. So honestly I don't care what size wheel I use, I just wanna run as close to a 33x12.50 as possible. What if i ran either of these options...

285/75/16 = 32.8x11.2/16
or
305/70/16 = 32.8x12/16

I don't care wheel I run as long as it's black and it fits without having to hack my truck to pieces haha.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Would a smaller number in backspace help or hurt me with clearing the 305/70/16's? I also like the black steel wheels with the fake beadlock look. For example... is a 3.75 backspace wider than a 4.25 or 4.5?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
yes, backspacing is confusing to me too as there are too many possibilities if trying to maintain minimum width, when you start factoring in backspacing/offset vs wheel width vs tread width.

my thought on this is: the actual wheel would fit fine on the truck, since the backspacing is the same - but in your situation i don't think it will clear because you're trying to fit a 1.5-2" wider tire at the same time. stock wheels 15x7-4.75. with a 31x10.5 tire you'd have approx 3/4" clearance between the inner sidewall and the UCA (at least this was the case on my 93 pickup - stock wheels and 31" michelins) if you are putting a 1.5-2" wider tire in there that's got a heavy sidewall tread protruding out (like the GY-DTs or an MT tire), you're not going to clear the UCA and you'll likely ruin your tires. on the other hand, you're increasing diameter to 16" and a 285 has 11.5" width - it's really really close IMO and i think you'd have to ask a tire shop or someone who's got 285-16s on their rig vs a 33x12.5.

i am no tire or truck expert, i'm just sharing my personal experience with what went down when I wanted to upgrade my own truck. with 15x8-3.75" wheels and a 33x12.5" Toyo, my clearance ended up as this:

not a great pic, but it's roughly 1/2"/pinky finger width.
and here's a side shot to give an idea of my ride height vs tire size:

tip on searching images - do site-specific google image search + content you're looking for. usually helps me.
So how actual trimming did you have to do to run your set up? I am fine with doing the same thing you did... A 33x12.50 on 15x8 with 3.75 backspace but I want to trim as little as possible... If I added a 1 or 2 inch body lift would that help me not have to trim?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:35 AM

Factor in my ride height of 22.5" (center axles to bottom of fenders) and compare to your height. I pounded pinch weld flat on firewall as well as removed a small section of the curl in the bottom of the fender - a wedge that's maybe 3/4" at its widest. Up front I hit my bumper when turning and had to clip the bottom of bumper and valence, the top of bumper cleared though - took a wedge out, which was maybe 1.5"-2" at widest. You can clearly see it in the pic. If you search my username you should be able to find closer pics of what I chopped, I posted it a few years ago. After cutting, I went out and tested the flex on a local trail to see any rub spots and brought my cordless grinder to keep modifying. It was just the bumper that needed more cutting. I also have access to a forklift, which helped me test at full stuff and I'm good to go except my rear tires can barely hit at full stuff, near where the mudflaps mount - it's likely due to stock shackles, ome leafs with different hole/pin location, triangulated shocks and no bump stops.

I'd guess that with aftermarket bumper you will only have to do the pinch weld area.

I will clarify something - on the backspace of my setup I said I was left with 0.5" clearance to the UCA -- this is if you put a straight edge across sidewall lugs, not actual clearance to tire below sidewall tread (perfectly horizontal from UCA pinch weld). I needed to make sure chains could still fit on my truck just in case. Actual clearance from nearest rubber to UCA is more like 1.5", but this number of course changes when suspension is cycled.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Factor in my ride height of 22.5" (center axles to bottom of fenders) and compare to your height. I pounded pinch weld flat on firewall as well as removed a small section of the curl in the bottom of the fender - a wedge that's maybe 3/4" at its widest. Up front I hit my bumper when turning and had to clip the bottom of bumper and valence, the top of bumper cleared though - took a wedge out, which was maybe 1.5"-2" at widest. You can clearly see it in the pic. If you search my username you should be able to find closer pics of what I chopped, I posted it a few years ago. After cutting, I went out and tested the flex on a local trail to see any rub spots and brought my cordless grinder to keep modifying. It was just the bumper that needed more cutting. I also have access to a forklift, which helped me test at full stuff and I'm good to go except my rear tires can barely hit at full stuff, near where the mudflaps mount - it's likely due to stock shackles, ome leafs with different hole/pin location, triangulated shocks and no bump stops.

I'd guess that with aftermarket bumper you will only have to do the pinch weld area.

I will clarify something - on the backspace of my setup I said I was left with 0.5" clearance to the UCA -- this is if you put a straight edge across sidewall lugs, not actual clearance to tire below sidewall tread (perfectly horizontal from UCA pinch weld). I needed to make sure chains could still fit on my truck just in case. Actual clearance from nearest rubber to UCA is more like 1.5", but this number of course changes when suspension is cycled.
OK so... If I added a 2" body lift to my Bj spacer and AAL lift do you think I will need to trim at all with a 33x12.50? I don't feel confident with hacking away at my truck Haha.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Bottom line is there is only one way to find out. With a 2"body lift your "probably" ok but still may rub a bit. Unless you can find someone with the exact same setup as you you just can't be sure.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:48 PM

Ok... Last question...

I am either gonna go with a 15x8 wheel with a 3.75 backspace or a 16x8 wheel with a 4.25 backspace. I want to run the largest tire that I can without having to do major trimming on my truck. My lift is a Bj spacer and AAL. What tire would you recommend?