Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Well it aint got glow plugs i dont know about it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it aint got glow plugs i dont know about it!

Well first off I have just bought a 91 toyota pickup 4x4, a/t, 3vz 3.0
I have been having cooling problems so there fore it wont shift into over drive. I have upgraded to a 192 degree thermostat, and a new clutch for the clutch fan and im still having problems with it cooling. It wont maintain a medium temp gets hot thermo kicks in and it cools down to border line so o/d kicks in and out any ideas????? And now for the real problem, 10 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I changed the spark plugs , and uumm the plugs were gaped out to .045 problem?? And the vac lines to the egr valve were not going to the egr! But other then plugs, wires, dis. cap, rotor button what else could i change to help my mpg???? Also i was swapping the vac lines back and i guess i hit a loose wire cause now it wont read the ecm or crank im getting fire to everything in the fuse boxes and all the way to the coil but not from the coil to the distributor. I have checked my grounds all is good! I have no clue anyone got a clue????
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Oh boy! Sounds like a handful. Where to begin? Ummm...

O.k., the overcooling thing I can't figure out. Sounds like you might be on to something there, but how do you know for sure that's what's causing the issue with the O/D kicking in/out? I mean it could be...in theory. IF nothing else was wrong...

Anywho, it sounds you've got bigger fish to fry at the moment. You say it won't read the ECU. What won't read it? I don't get what you mean by that. Like you possibly fried the ECU by shorting a wire? Very well could be I guess. Got codes? That's where I'd start on that.

On the not cranking bit. I don't suppose you could elaborate on that a little. Like when you turn the key what happens? Nothing? Can you hear the starter solenoid click?

And, I hate to argue with you but...I'd say 10 mpg is the least of your problems right now. Worry about that when you get the thing running again...

PS, yes, spark plugs gapped @ .045 is a problem. Should be .031. BTW, the hotter t-stat wasn't an upgrade, or we'd all be doing it. But you're the first person I've ever heard say they did. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. You really don't wanna run this motor any hotter than it runs from the factory(192° t-stat not an option according to Toyota).
Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 AM

The TPS might have something to do with the overdrive but you need to get it started first. Those 3.0's are not fun to work on if you havent figured that out already
Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Here is whats going on as far as the cranking, when you first turn the key all lights illuminate except the CEL which if i understand correct illuminates then to show that the ecu is readin?! Right? Well at first didnt have a problem you could turn the key all lights including the CEL would light up truck would fire and run great the CEL was still on cause of the egr valve im guessing. But when i swapped all the vac lines around correctly and went to crank the truck the CEl wouldnt come on and truck would not crank so iwent back to where i was working around the egr valve to see if i had hit something. Nothing but after pulling and checking all fuses the CEL can back on truck would crank but after running a few mintues the cel went off and the truck died. I tried several different things bypassing the efi relay other small things i could think of. I did check i am getting fuel and power to everything i checked im just not get fire from the coil to the distributor??? Thats where im stuck i new to a stock toyota so im sitting on my thumbs scratching my butt thinking!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Not getting fire from the coil to the distributor...got it.

Well there's only one way that's possible. The high-tension cord/spark plug wire between them is faulty. You just need to repair/replace that and you should be good to go there.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put some diesel init then you might be able to figure it out.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM

No changed it, it didnt work. For what ever reason the CEL is not coming when when first turning the key thats my problem. I wen out earlier turned the key and the CEL came on she fired up run for 30 mins, turned it off turned the key back on no CEL and no start!!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM

yeah diesel that would work My idea is to find an old 87 diesel ranger with the ford 2.3 diesel and do a swap! That would be a yota
Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mercedes swap is pretty common now days, got a few on pirate. Diesel in 4x4 should have been an option.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Yeah but the ford 2.3 would be cheaper to buy parts for