Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Throttle spacer

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle spacer

Does any one know where i can get a throttle spacer for a 97 2.7L Tacoma Rg Cab because i can't find it on any web sight that I have looked on.

Thanks for the help sorry i clicked on the rong form type

Last edited by Red Neck Bill; 12-15-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't waste your time and money, throttle spacers don't have any effect on most fuel injected engines.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wrong section search around you will find they do nothing buy make your wallet lighter
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

They make GREAT cup holders!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:25 AM

Good to know
Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Neck Bill
Good to know
Here's the backgrounder...

A TB spacer is a tried and true concept that _does_ work on TB injection or carburetored engines. It does as it claims allowing the fuel/air mixture to get a better mix going before it hits the cylinders. Our engines _are_ injected, but the injectors are right at the cylinders, there's no fuel/air mix happening anywhere else in the intake path.

As such, adding a TB spacer won't make any difference in how your engine runs. And fwiw, this is coming from someone who ran one for 18 months before he realized "OMG, I'm such an idiot".

Now, there are people (including me) that say their engine ran smoother with it on (especially at idle), but if that's really true, then it's only coming from the intake path having grown an inch. Any "spinning vortex or air" is killed in our engines the minute it hits the intake plenum.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Now, there are people (including me) that say their engine ran smoother with it on (especially at idle), but if that's really true, then it's only coming from the intake path having grown an inch. Any "spinning vortex or air" is killed in our engines the minute it hits the intake plenum.
Mark, I thought that too! I'm kinda glad to know that I'm not the only one that felt like it was smoother after the TB. I was thinking that it was something along the lines of my "butt-dyno" HP gains.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:01 AM

to you sayers of nay how many of you have dynoed with & without a t-body spacer? By its self not its not going to do much at all. In reality on Hondas some have gained hp/tq on a dyno with a spacer. I would guess it had more to do with the increased volume of the intake manifold than the swirling effect for air/fuel mixture. Any performance mod is part of a bigger package I.E. intake,header,exhaust,ported t-body & most importantly tuning.
So saying that t-body spacers don't do anything is incorrect it all depends on what else you have done.
just for example My 92 Integra stock made 140whp & 100tq It now makes 160whp & 120tq I have out grown the header on my car & have a new one that I need to install I am expecting at least 5whp but possibly 15whp gain (with dyno tuning) "If" I gain even 8whp its part of the larger package & not just the header.
I have a larger volume IM the stock on my car now so the t-body spacer would prob not do much for me but the IM did make more pwr.

Last edited by NC-B17A; 01-15-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by NC-B17A
to you sayers of nay how many of you have dynoed with & without a t-body spacer?
Many have, "Gadget" is probably the most "famous" one around here. His dyno sheet shows a loss of power on the 3.4L engine.

By its self not its not going to do much at all. In reality on Hondas some have gained hp/tq on a dyno with a spacer. I would guess it had more to do with the increased volume of the intake manifold than the swirling effect for air/fuel mixture.
Why would that make a difference on a direct injection engine?

Any performance mod is part of a bigger package I.E. intake,header,exhaust,ported t-body & most importantly tuning.
Correct.

So saying that t-body spacers don't do anything is incorrect it all depends on what else you have done.
I disagree. There is no physical science which would explain why a TB spacer would _increase horsepower_ (or torque) on a direct injection engine.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 PM

by changing the volume of air in the im. I am not tring to say that they work on eveything but in certains apps a spacer could be helpful.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
by changing the volume of air in the im. I am not tring to say that they work on eveything but in certains apps a spacer could be helpful.
Certain applications being non-direct injected motors...
Just another snake oil.
Might as well stick and electric supercharger (IE - marine vent pump) on there while you're at it...
Maybe some magnets in the fuel system? Hmmm...

Perhaps a Venom 400?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
\
As far as any hp gains with a spacer the turbo trucks might make alittle more power with a larger volume IM.
A Venom 400 does help in the midrange rpm. similar to the ecu trickery a VAFC uses.
Explain to me how moving the throttle body allows more air (more volume) into the motor?

In regard to ECU trickery, I've programmed ECUs.. Have you? The only way to get it to consistently produce more power is with dyno tuning. The 3.0 and 22RE both have oddball AFM configurations and non-standard signals... I'm highly suspicious of this mod and the "jet" chip as there simply isn't any way to reconfigure ECUs or fake signals without significant dyno testing. Unless they're providing you BEFORE and AFTER dyno runs, don't believe a word of their hype. A few test have indicated what I already suspect in regard to the Venom in other applications:

http://faq.neons.org/faq/FAQ_AMP.html
. The Venom 400, another aftermarket computer, also has not been proven to significantly help performance. The Venom unit is a 'piggyback' computer that operates at partial throttle positions, but has no effect when the regular PCM goes into 'open loop' mode at wide open throttle.

Other comments:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/archive...hp?t-1101.html

Some cars, this provides 100% fuel at part throttle, which makes the vehicle "feel" more responsive. On the toyota stuff, I don't think it's in the TPS at all... It could intercept IAT or other signals and impact rich or lean, that's absolutely true...

Thing is, more fuel does *not* mean more power. Once you go past 14.7:1 or so, you're actually decreasing the amount of hp you get out of that motor. Sure, lots of turbo cars run rich - but for other purposes - like avoiding detonation/pre-ignition.

Don't waste your money on a TB spacer, JET chip, or Venom.
If you think that adding more fuel will make you faster, add a $1 resistor to your engine temperature sensor.. The colder the ECU thinks it is, the more fuel it'll add across the board. Your MPG will drop and your peak HP will decrease.

Timing.. Well, the simpliest way to remap timing is to advance your base timing. Other than that, it's a real pain to get a timing map just right - it requires dyno time.. Make sure you ask Venom for that 3.0 dyno run.. The one that increases power by 25%. How many hours do you think they spent getting it right for our rides?

To be fair, there are ways to tweek sensor signals to get some power out of *some* cars.. The 3.0 and 22RE aren't one of those that fall in that category. Advance your timing appropriate to your conditions and fuel and let your stock ECU do the rest.. At least until you make *real* modifications that eventually render the stock fuel or timing maps less than optimal.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 PM

by changing the volume of air in the im. I am not trying to say that they work on everything but in certain apps a spacer could be helpful.
This is a common misconception, and generally part of the sales pitch.

If you were to expand on that logic, then you should be able to hook up a 5 gallon jug to your intake and gain 100hp. Or, hook up a whole world of atmosphere to your intake and approach light speed.... But given that you _DO_ have a whole world of atmosphere as your intake, and you're not quite as close to light speed as some other forms of propulsion will get you, I don't think that theory is working out.

An N/A engine will only inhale as deep of a breath as it's designed to take. That maximum is determined by the sum of volume of the cylinders that are on the intake stroke. The only way to get more air in there is to force it.

Now it _is_ true (as in, it's been proven on a dyno) that many installations of the 3.4L engine (3rd Gen 4Runners for example) are _starved_ for air and thus the N/A engine can't get as much air into it as it could. That's the reason that the "elbow mod" or the "deckplate mod" has been proven to get you 6-8hp.

If you're thinking that the next argument is that the additional volume gained by the addition of a 1" TB plate will net you the same additional volume, you'd be wrong. The math just doesn't work out that way. All totaled, the volume of that plate is VERY small.

The only way to get more air into this engine is to force it in - that's spelled Supercharger or Turbocharger.

The concept of a TB plate _does_ work on throttle body injection engines. The fuel/air mixture DOES swirl, the fuel DOES atomize better, and thus it WILL burn better. There is NO WAY for that to happen on our engine. Yes, the air will swirl as it leaves the plate - and it will stop swirling about 5" later as it hits the plenum and splits off into the cylinders.

If it helps at all... I was in your camp for about 18 months. Putting a TB plate on my truck was the first $100 I spent on a mod. Then one day, I woke up...

That was about 3 years ago.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
If it helps at all... I was in your camp for about 18 months. Putting a TB plate on my truck was the first $100 I spent on a mod. Then one day, I woke up...

That was about 3 years ago.
Word. Blew about $60 on a TB spacer. When I installed it, I also did the deckplate mod. Because of that, I really can't even tell you how much of a "butt-dyno" increase I got out of the TBS, because of how much a difference the deckplate made. Other than a whistle that I thought was cool for about four days, I didn't see any noticeable increase in performance with the TB. Now: yesterday I finally got around to taking the thing off. Get this: I actually felt a difference after removing the TBS. Not of less responsiveness, but MORE. Now, I understand it's just my butt-dyno, but I was startled at the difference. But all of that is really immaterial. The point is, TBS have been DYNO proven to NOT work on the Toyota 3.4. The bottom line? Save your money. Trust me.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Some verra good readin. Was thinkin about spacin my tb, but guess I've been red rovered to the other side of the field now.

And what the heck is this "Butt-Dyno" yall keep talkin bout!?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Some verra good readin. Was thinkin about spacin my tb, but guess I've been red rovered to the other side of the field now.
YAYAYAYA!!!!!!! We savd another one!

And what the heck is this "Butt-Dyno" yall keep talkin bout!?
It's that extra "kick!" feeling you get in the seat-of-your-pants when you put shiny new stickers on your rig.