Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Thinking about trading the Runner for a Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about trading the Runner for a Tundra

Howdy all,

I have been pressed with a question I have to ponder. My dad is wanting to sell his 2003 Tundra I cant remember if its the 6cyl or 8cyl TRD version. It has the step side bed and I believe its pretty stock. All I know is it has a KN Cold Air, some sort of chip, and I think (not sure he was talking about one but I am not sure if he got it) a 2" lift installed.

He offered to trade it to me for my '97 4Runner SR5, because he knows I have been wanting a pickup but cant afford one and pay for college.

-4Runner is sitting at 151k miles
-Tundra is sitting at about 135k (maybe a little more)
-Runner needs new shocks and struts
-Pickup just got new brakes shocks and struts last winter.
-Both got new tires Aug of last year but the Runner probably has seen more miles.

Being in college most of my adventuring is gone but I still enjoy hunting/fishing and cruisin around.
Reason I want a pickup so bad is for the bed, I dont really like throwing a dead deer in the back of the runner but its all I can do. I cant get one on the roof alone. Throwing wet waders in the back of the Runner sucks because the next day it doesnt smell to great unless I leave the window cracked over night to air out. I like being able to have wet/dirty/stinky/cumbersome objects in the bed of a truck and not in the cab of a Runner. Lastly, I can haul my dirtbike places without having to borrow one of the trucks from dad or trying to find someone with a trailer I can use.

Reason I dont want to get rid of the runner. Its small, it can go almost anywhere I need. It may not get their fast or smoothley but it can go places a lot of larger vehicles cant. Which can be a great advantage when trying to find a place to pull off and go fishing. It gets decent mileage. Average 18 but it is known to drop to 16 or jump to 21. It handles pretty good on snow. With the extra weight in the back it does pretty good. Lastly, I can sleep in the back! ITs nice being able to roll a sleeping bag out and sleep in it.

The Runner needs work, it needs new springs/struts, it likes to drag its reciever when I try to drive anywhere that isnt a hard packed road. It has some minor surface rust but being parked outside at school is not helping me keep it under control, and I am tired of replacing the rear axle seals. I have done it one time and my dad did it one time before I bought it from him 4 years ago. The head lights also suck, a lot of my cruising deals with me getting up really early driving through deer infested country to get to the river or hunting spot. I hate how little I can see with the lights.

The way I see it if I dont trade the Truck is gone. If I do trade I can still drive the 4Runner each summer when I go home. Dad just wants to get rid of the truck because his full size dodge does everything it does but better, even mileage. He wants another Runner or a smaller car.
The 4Runner is just in need of some work and its time and money I dont have. I feel that it may live a better longer life if it gets taken home and babied by dad now. But again he may sell it.

In short I am curious if anyone has any input on the '03 Tundras and if anyone knows of any issues they commonly have (like the ability to wear out rear axle seals). I know his constantly burns out one of the two cargo light bulbs but other than that I havent heard of any issues.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post, I just cant decide.

Last edited by flyfisher117; 10-22-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you want a truck, you want a truck. i don't blame you - i have a truck and would probably never trade it for a 4runner because of the utility capabilities of a bed. put a cover on the bed and wallah it's protected and i can sleep in the back. 4runners are abundant and getting cheaper every year for the 3rd gens. trade the rigs, let dad sell the 4runner if he wants or put $ into it. when you're ready in the future, own both.