Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Swaybar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys so since im on vacation i decided to take some advise and removed the sway bay although it didnt fix the clunk i found the little bastard. its the damn skid plate, im assuming the red neck who had it before didnt know ˟˟˟˟ about cars cause the skid is on with electrical wire. so tomorrow ill put it on right drill some new hole and tap them or figure another way to mount it. once my new energy suspention bushings come and i get new endlinks cause i snaped one taking the sway bar off im gonna put it back together right. i just cant see to get used to that much body roll. i did have another question cause when under breaking hard it pulls to the driver side. my first mechanically inclined thought was a stuck piston in caliper but just looking for others thoughts
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM

check the tire pressures if it pulling harder to one side. then move on the brake pads, alignment
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM

ok so today i decided to take the skid off and low and behold the rattle is still there, not sure what else it could be. Any ideas. im going to do a complete brake here in a few weeks so ill find what ever is cause it to haul check tire pressure it was down, aired it up and still does it. so i will find out what it is. But anyone have any ideas whats causeing the rattle, only hear it on fast bumps or large bumps if im going slow just crawling i can go over everything and dont hear it but when i speed up i hear it more. any idea people please and thank you?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you checked the mounting bolts on the shocks? Might be that one is loose or missing? Just a thought.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM

good idea junkers but i also came accross this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...4runner-76360/
Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pumba1239
ok so today i decided to take the skid off and low and behold the rattle is still there, not sure what else it could be. Any ideas. im going to do a complete brake here in a few weeks so ill find what ever is cause it to haul check tire pressure it was down, aired it up and still does it. so i will find out what it is. But anyone have any ideas whats causeing the rattle, only hear it on fast bumps or large bumps if im going slow just crawling i can go over everything and dont hear it but when i speed up i hear it more. any idea people please and thank you?
I find a rubber mallet or plastic dead blow hammer works well at finding rattles like that. Climb underneath the truck and start hitting things and see if you can duplicate the rattle. Of course, be careful not to hit anything that might be damaged or hit too hard, but just try hitting stuff that is accessible. Have used this technique on a few vehicles with mostly good results. And realize that you may not have to hit the thing that rattles to hear the noise, but often when you hit something else that causes the other part to rattle. On my VW, I found a rattle in the brake backing plate and that was due to a missing retaining bolt. Only made noise when going over speed bumps or pot holes fast.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Hey guys i uploaded a video today from my phone to youtube of the rattle so take a look and let me know

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPumba1239?feature=mhsn
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Hey guys instead of starting another thread just decided to come on my thread. I noticed the other day that breaks had a shutter like feeling to them. Well today i when to stop at a stop sign and nearly t boned a new chev truck. The pedal was hard and wouldn't go to the floor i noticed i have a slight leak in a rear line but would that cause my issue?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Anyone? Im trying to work all bugs out before inspection
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM

If you are getting it inspected anyways, you might as well just let them tell you exactly what needs to be fixed, then you will know what is wrong and then go from there.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Well i don't want to spend the money for someone to tell. I donto have that much money with a new born. So important trying to do it all on my own.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 PM

check your steering components. My truck always had a bad clunk it it and it ended up being the idler arm.Replaced it and no more clunk and it made the thing drive better.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by pumba1239
Well i don't want to spend the money for someone to tell. I donto have that much money with a new born. So important trying to do it all on my own.
That's understandable, but what I am saying is that you said you are getting it inspected, so why don't you just bring it to them, and then they will tell you what needs to be fixed. It won't cost you anything extra...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alberta4x
That's understandable, but what I am saying is that you said you are getting it inspected, so why don't you just bring it to them, and then they will tell you what needs to be fixed. It won't cost you anything extra...
just for them to put it on the lift and look too see costs what an inspection does no it doesn't cost much but thats is money to help buy what's needed if you know what i mean. My inspection want until august and wanna get everything fixed before then.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Ok, just thought it would be an option because when i got my truck inspected, i paid 50 bucks for the inspection, they wanted way too much to do the work for it to pass (balljoints and idler arm, they wanted $1100), so i did it myself, took it back to them, and he took a quick look at it in the parking lot and signed the papers for me (he wasn't very happy ) but it worked out quite nicely.
Just my experience.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Ok yeah i know it needs body work for inspection. On my way home from work i decided to see if my brakes were still being weird. Well turns out that they are and since its 10pm and quite i can hear things i couldn't during the day. When doing about 50km ph to stop as if something jumped out in front of me its like the brakes were grabbing. Warped rotors maybe? But at slow speeds like 5 kmph and there is a slight grinding id say. So im thinking maybe breaks just need to be done. Black95toy how do you check idler arm and where is it?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:41 AM

So i took ny truck to the garage. Too damn wet and cold to be doing in my back yard. Well both rotors are completely screwed. Pads are near worn out. Shoes are metal and drums are rotten. So that should fix that. Now for the rattle while on the hoist i noticed that a front shock mount is beat out so they are gonna fix that too