Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Suggestions for poor running 22re

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for poor running 22re

So, a couple of weeks ago, I blew my head gasket on my '89 Pickup 22rE. I replaced the gasket, also replaced my cylinder head and cleaned and replaced a few other parts. Cleaned my intake and throttle body, new fuel filter and thermostat, all new gaskets on whatever I removed.
I have now been driving my truck again for the past week and a half, and it has been having issues starting, is running hotter than it ever has (To the point of completely shutting itself down while at high speeds as soon as the gas pedal is let off), And I am still lacking a tremendous amount of power... I know that this is a very vague thread, but if anybody has ANY suggestions of what any of my issues may be, please let me know... My knowledge of engines is fairly limited and I'm kind of at the end of my road as far as what I know...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Give us a list of what you've already tested.
I would double check all the simple things first:
Timing (double check your cam gear mark is @ 12 o'clock when #1 is at TDC), valve adjustment, compression, vacuum leaks (try an unlit propane torch) and fuel delivery.

If its running hot, look to make sure you've got the thermostat installed correctly, and your coolant level is good. What does your spark plugs look like?

Any check engine lights? How old is the O2 sensor?

I've actually been having the same problems. Running hot, and after initial warmup, loosing power. I've got things better by changing the O2 sensor, adjusting the valves to intake: .007" and exhaust: .011". I also gained performance with replacing the TPS and adjusting. I also found out that my brand new PCV valve gasket was torn, creating a vacuum leak.

But I think the most important thing you mentioned was your engine cutting out when the gas pedal is let off. I am unfamiliar with this and hopefully someone else could point you in the right direction.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you sure that the timing is set right and the valves are properly adjusted ?. When you cleaned the throttle body did you get any of the cleaner in the TPS ?, is so then you might have damaged the TPS. Are you sure all of the vacuum lines are properly hooked up ?.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BajaRunner- I have double checked my timing. My valves have been adjusted correctly (As far as I could tell, but I am still getting alot of extra tapping) How can I check the compression? As far as vacuum leaks, I am unfamiliar with using a torch to test for leaks... How would I go about doing that?

I made sure that the thermostat is installed correctly and my coolant is completely topped off. I also put in all new spark plugs.

I'm not getting any check engine lights. But, I don't know how old my oxygen sensor is.
I may buy a new TPS just because.

Thank you veryy much for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I need my truck back in perfect running condition.

Myyota- I may have actually gotten some of the cleaner into the TPS... But, it does seem to be operating correctly. Butthen again, I wouldn't know if it wasn't...

I labeled most of my vacuum lines when I removed them, but it's always a possibility that I made a mistake. Where can I find an accurate, easy to read vacuum line diagram?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It would be a good idea to replace the 02 sensor if it has a lot of miles on it. When you say its lacking a lot of power, are you sure the timing marks were lined up properly when you put everything back together ?.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For the vacuum leak, I use a camping propane bottle, with a torch head on it. Crack it open to let propane come out, and point it at all your vacuum lines, PCV, and gaskets. If the idle goes up, you've found your leak.

The TPS is tested here...(you need to use a multimeter to test resistance at different stages of the TPS).
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml