Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

so what's the deal with winches? why do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
its a 84 xcab, only way to be a 22re is if a swap was already done.

Dont know how much it would cost....intake, ECU, wiring....anything else?? probally some fuel lines and a fuel pump...never compared...
oh its got the carb on it, so i'm pretty sure its a 22R...the wierd thing is it has a knock sensor close to the oil filter. i searched and i guess only the "late" motors had a knock sensor, but if its carb'd why is there a knock sensor!? its not even hooked up, just threaded into the block. i looked on the tag and it was made in 03/'84 so maybe its the 22R but a "late" block...i'm so confused, lol!! maybe someone can fill me in on the info.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:46 PM

all your answer are at the pirate, they even have write up on it, go ask.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brownbagg
all your answer are at the pirate, they even have write up on it, go ask.
Umm I think you forgot a smiley or a j/k on there because offering that kind of "help" on here (especially in the newbie section) is a quick way to get banned.

Feel free to search on Pirate (although I hear they've kinda defeated that now) but you better have your question FULLY researched and MAKE DAMN SURE it hasn't been answered before or it'll be a flame fest.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
alright so after reading all this, i understand that a winch can help you get unstuck but i have a couple questions...

for all those that said you use it to clear logs, stumps, roll cars back over etc, can you not just use tow straps or chains for that and drive rather than using a winch?

if youre going up something steep as in the pics above, are you controlling the winch from the inside? is it pulling while youre accelerating to give you some extra pull? what happens if you lose your grip and slide back, would the winch break or does ht emotor allow some cable to come out in that case?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

i dont have a winch yet, but its worth its weight in gold, especially if you plan on pushing your truck through some really tough obstacles. the obvious reason for one is self extraction. it also gives you a buffer on breaking. you may be able to do that really challenging line, but may (more often than not) break in the process. a winch gives you that out. i opted for a bumper winch combo instead of a front locker just for that reason.

theres some quote about "a winch will get you out of more trouble without a front locker than a front locker will without a winch"...something to that effect

sorry no pics, but itll look pretty much the same as celica's (tabor 9K & arb bumper), cept on a 3rd gen runner.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
alright so after reading all this, i understand that a winch can help you get unstuck but i have a couple questions...

for all those that said you use it to clear logs, stumps, roll cars back over etc, can you not just use tow straps or chains for that and drive rather than using a winch?

if youre going up something steep as in the pics above, are you controlling the winch from the inside? is it pulling while youre accelerating to give you some extra pull? what happens if you lose your grip and slide back, would the winch break or does ht emotor allow some cable to come out in that case?
First off, IMO, CHAINS ARE BAD!!! I dont use them on my rig, or around me!! They break too easy, ropes have better streanght....okay on to your questions.

Depending on the circumstance you could just use a rop/stap and clear logs, trees, etc... sometimes there isn't room if your pulling a tree up to the road for wood... and since we have the winch were goona use it :-)

And when pulling your self up an incline with a winch its a controlled manuever, you are mainly using the winch but assist with the throttle, unless you KNOW you can make the top you dont want to get very far infront of the winch or you could break it if you slip back down..
Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
ah thank you, that's what i was wondering
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Umm I think you forgot a smiley or a j/k on there because offering that kind of "help" on here (especially in the newbie section) is a quick way to get banned.

Feel free to search on Pirate (although I hear they've kinda defeated that now) but you better have your question FULLY researched and MAKE DAMN SURE it hasn't been answered before or it'll be a flame fest.
yea, i am a newb to this off-road stuff....uh, what is pirate? is it another 4x4 forum?? got a link or something?! thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
pirate is a 4x4 fourm http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.php
Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's A TON of info at Pirate, but the people aren't as accomodating of newbies as here. When you're over there, it's fair to assume that they have little to no use for the truck on the road. Search and search, but post at your own risk.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
Check this out... http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...57216958794415