Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkel

I have a 88 toyota dlx 22re manual efi 4x4.bought a arb snorkel specific for this truck (according to vendor)took it to a good offroad shop.what I found out is this snorkel will not work without a trip to a hardware store.they would have to plumb it to airbox.like to know what others have done?not too crazy about this approach.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Were you not aware it needed to be plumbed into the air box before you bought it??

Pretty much any after market air intake needs to be plumbed into the factory air box.

It says Modifications required on ARB`s website

Depending on what your installing it on weather you have the older AFM or the Newer MAF .

Some get another Air box keeping the stock one intact in case the need to return to stock is ever needed

Lots of river crossings in your future ??
Old 12-11-2016, 06:37 AM

When i purchased the snorkel the vendor told me this is what I exacatly needed for my truck.He said he had installed several.posting in this newbie section should explain my lack of supreme knowledge in installing a arb snorkel.had he mentioned about the hardware store plumbing,chances are I would have declined purchase.I did see there was some modification,that's why I took to offroad shop.now if a river crossing presents itself I'm in.Wyoming what makes a fellow throw money at these toyota trucks?if there is a cure for the toyota bug,my wife would seek out the cure.(more money)if I had to do over I would have seeked some professional advice (yotatech).I would like to see someone's approach on how to.you don't have to be the smartest,the knowledge is in knowing the one that is.ease up a little it's the holidays.thanks for reponse-scott- rma is probably in future.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
He wasn't meaning to be harsh. The search engine on here isn't the greatest. But if you use google and enter yotatech.com with what your searching for you should be able to kick up some pretty good threads to read. 1st gen 4runners are very similar to 2nd gen pickups and so on just FYI if your looking for snorkel info and you see a 1st gen 4Runner odd are it will be very, very, very close to a 2nd gen pickup.

Plug this in to the google
arb snorkel install 2nd gen toyota pickup yotatech.com

Hope this helps
Old 12-12-2016, 08:49 AM

I don't like the fact I'm gonna do a couple hundred for a snorkel and then still have to run to Home Depot for the remaining parts. Don't necessarily understand, but oh well. ..
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Edit: after reading your first couple posts it sounds like you should be mad at the vendor. Have you contacted them? Did they offer any information? I know it's frustrating at times and spending money on something you though was complete is annoying but that fairly SOP on cars and trucks from my experience. I am doing a $0 budget build. I have been piecing a lift together for almost a year and it took me that year to get the parts for my engine rebuild. Older rigs tend to be a hobby vs a turn key commuter. Toyota still has famous turn key reliability you just got to buy a newer one with under 100k miles to get the seemingly endless reliability with out haveing to restore it a bit first. Take a deep breath and relax. This is one of the easier going Toyota website out there. Stay away from pirate4x4 as they tend to eat newbies for lunch.

If you stop and think about a company the size of ARB and the number of 4wd rigs they make parts do and the different option they would have to take in to consideration they probably do it this way to keep R&D down and that helps keep costs lower. I know there are a few companies in the greater Seattle metro area that cater to people that want the cake but don't want to bake it. So you drop your rig off say order me this part and call me when it's ready.

One thing for sure. Those that take the time and learn on these older rigs how to install and fix them tend to have more money to spend on mods vs paying people to install stuff. Some installs are worth it but most of you watched the installer do it you would be like why did I just pay for that.

These types of forums are here to help you along the way. Most of the time if your looking in to a product and you search these forums you will get better information than from the manufacturer website. This can also help gauge if this type of project is a self install or a pay someone install.

Not trying to be harsh. Just the reality of having an older rig.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 12-12-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:37 PM

snorkel

When i purchased the snorkel the vendor told me this is what I exacatly needed for my truck.He said he had installed several.posting in this newbie section should explain my lack of supreme knowledge in installing a arb snorkel.had he mentioned about the hardware store plumbing,chances are I would have declined purchase.I did see there was some modification,that's why I took to offroad shop.now if a river crossing presents itself I'm in.Wyoming what makes a fellow throw money at these toyota trucks?if there is a cure for the toyota bug,my wife would seek out the cure.(more money)if I had to do over I would have seeked some professional advice (yotatech).I would like to see someone's approach on how to.you don't have to be the smartest,the knowledge is in knowing the one that is.ease up a little it's the holidays.thanks for reponse-scott- rma is probably in future.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 PM

snorkel

To all comments.Wyoming didn't ruffle me at all,he nailed me.did do some research but not enough on snorkel install.lot of mods on this truck has been through a variety of good shops.buds skid plate,winch,addictive offroad bumper,trail gear sliders,double din radio,rollbar,piaa lites.little over top yes.some of this by me.but I've found when you don't have the rite tool and anotherr set of hands you are almost ahead to take to shop.I don't like paying the man.most of my friends don't have the toyota bug,and think it's a waste of time and money.learning nothing, teaching nothing.this project will be for a grandson. (In time) but it has been fun to this point for he and i.back to the snorkel there wyoming,I thought it come in handy should I run off in one of these holes I keep digging for myself should one of these florida hurricanes fill it up.cv joints are in the future and that knuckle busters mine unless I drag it to wyomings. (Just kidding)toyota skill sets zero,line of bull-bull-t challenge all.arb did apologize for lack of talk about mods by vendor but I own that.l do have factory manual for this year.this 58 yr old still can hunt.looking foward to more yota tech.and Wyoming how about a little one on one with this florida cracker out of your comfort zone?now again just kidding.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
So what are you doing to 'waterproof' the rest of the truck?
it is all well and good to keep water out of the intake but if your ignition gets wet or you suck your fan into the radiator you are up the proverbial creek
Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 PM

Alot of research or abandament.novice at all,but willing.like mentioned project for grandson and i.not trying to kick a ruckus.too much money not for it to be done right.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Hi toyota88grandsons,

The reason for need to go to hardware store for plumbing supplies is because, unlike the hi-lux with D-4D diesel, the Tacoma's Land Rovers and other trucks where air intake runs into the fender, the the 4Runner's airbox is not designed to have plug and play snorkel; The intake into the 22RE's airbox goes to the grille. See what people have done to plumb that intake to the fender and imagine how much money ARB would charge us if it were to design and provide materials for a plug and play snorkel into a 22RE.

I am also considering a snorkel install, but I would put it on the right side. Swap battery to driver's side, shift VAFM to passenger side and rotate it 180-degrees, shift airbox to passenger side with no rotation - this would make the inlet for airbox face the passenger side fender, easier to plumb the snorkel. The basics of this approach is covered in 4Crawler's website.

Example of truck (Hi-lux with D-4D diesel) almost ready for a snorkel install where air intake runs through the fender: (
)

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-13-2016 at 09:45 PM.