Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

To sell, junk, or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sell, junk, or repair?

Hey guys,

I bought a '97 T100 from a dealer up in western NY at the end of summer, drove it down to PA and it won't pass inspection due to a rusted frame. I have tried to find a body shop who would weld/repair the frame but noone wants to do it because that kind of work is a liability on their shop.

So I'm not sure what to do now. I like the truck otherwise, and the body looks great, but without passing an inspection, it's just sitting in my garage.

It seems like someone could do something with the truck even if I can't, but I don't even know if it's a liability for me to sell it. Like I said, the truck runs fine and strong and I'd love to make it road worthy (in the eyes of PA), but if that's not possible, what options do I have?

Thanks, I suspect this is a common issue with that vintage yotas (the T100s aren't part of the recall affected that the tacos/tundras of similar years) and any advice is much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM

take it to toyota and see if they can fix. that all you could do to it because it started to happen to my truck and they wanted to buy it back i said no i put way to much time into this truck. didnt get my truck back for a week because there were doing treatment to it
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Yup, that's the first thing I did, was take it to the local toyota dealer. Unfortunately they wouldn't make any repairs to the frame.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
maybe take it to the dealer you bought it from and make a scene. They should not have sold you a truck that would not pass inspection.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
where at in PA did you go, a guy here in Wilkes-Barre, PA repaired mine for me above the front leaf spring mount cost me $350 to have both sides done. didn't remove the gas tank though. However, it has held up to the abuse I have given it several times at Rausch Creek. Might be worth the trip up here depending on what's wrong with your frame.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-14-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
where at in PA did you go,...
i'm down in bucks county... probably another reason the mechanics aren't used to this stuff. everyone around here has new cars and way too much $$ to bother with stuff like this.

i'm glad to hear you got yours fixed. that sounds like a good price too.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 AM

in my build thread you will see the repair he did, not the best photo but it will give you the idea. He did it at his house but has worked in a spring shop for probably over 20 years and has done alot of these yotas.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Its not hard to fix a frame hole. Cut out the cancer part (but not too much) and plate the crap out of it with thicker stuff. Put a metal band over the framerail on the top for extra support.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Well here in PA if welding is done on the frame, it must be done by a certified welder and something has to be signed in order for it to be considered for inspection (or something like that)
Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How about finding a good frame and swap everything over, that way you could rebuild the truck from the frame up and it would be good as new.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It all depends how bad it is I have fixed many of the Tacomas before the recall.I have 2 or 3 here now that need some attention

As to being certified you need to ask who told you that under what code??

It all depends how much money you want to spend or if you can do it yourself.

It is your truck only you know what you want to do.

Just curious what engine??
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by enjine
Well here in PA if welding is done on the frame, it must be done by a certified welder and something has to be signed in order for it to be considered for inspection (or something like that)
I'm in NY and I will weld it for you but I'm not going to sign anything. I weld for a living. Whereabouts are you in PA? I do not know where Bucks county is nor have I ever heard of it.

James
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM

Red face

Bucks County is in southeastern Pa.

I would bet about 5 hours to the NY line on I 81 could be longer with road destruction

i think someone was giving this poor person a line looking for to buy the vehicle cheap or to not fix the truck.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It all depends how bad it is I have fixed many of the Tacomas before the recall.I have 2 or 3 here now that need some attention

As to being certified you need to ask who told you that under what code??

It all depends how much money you want to spend or if you can do it yourself.

It is your truck only you know what you want to do.

Just curious what engine??
The truck is a '97 4x4 with the 5VZ-FE. It really hauls and I love the feel of the truck--it's the right size and it looks great cosmetically.

I was told by every shop (3, including dealer) I've taken it to that the welder needs to be certified. But you're right, I should look into the exact legalities of that.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 AM

ask them where the documentation is that is required for the welder to fill out in order to repair and inspect it.

give you a hint being from PA, there is none.

Yes there is an r-title form, but repairing a frame without actually replacing a back half it is not required. And even then it has nothing to do with being certified, all it has to do is be visually inspect-able and would require a special inspection similar to a fabricated trailer. If the welds look like junk then it will most likely not pass inspection. if they look good then it should pass.

just sounds like the places you have gone just don't want to deal with it. Typical for PA.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-15-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
ask them where the documentation is that is required for the welder to fill out in order to repair and inspect it.

give you a hint being from PA, there is none.
That sounds very encouraging, thank you.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by enjine
That sounds very encouraging, thank you.
remember I had my frame repaired and needed nothing, no questions asked. I can hook you up with the contact info of the person that did mine. Very trustable which is hard for me to do with someone else doing work on my truck. I know it's a ways from you, but sounds like its your best option right now. However, I don't know the exact condition of the frame and what needs to be repaired. maybe some photos would help.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-15-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Red face

I would also do it and give you a heck of a deal.Just looking to break even on consumables .

Or if we can come to terms buy the truck.

That sounds like a no lose deal for you if you want to continue drop me a PM and we will go from there.

As a note most people really don`t have a clue what welder certs are really for .

Other then weeding out the welders that need improvement and practice It is for the lawyers of the insurance company . That your company carries most places is a 2 Million dollar policy just to get in the door of anyplace to do hot work.