Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Replacing alternator and radiator HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing alternator and radiator HELP!

Long story short, got an 89' project 4runner for 1k, alternator was shot a few days after I brought her home (PO was honest with me, told me the alternator prolly wouldn't last long) but I noticed the radiator was in pretty beat up shape. SO I went and picked up a new radiator with all new hoses, thermostat, and a temp sensor.

Now my question is, where exactly is the temp sensor located? I found the thermostat and will be replacing that tomorrow, but I couldn't find the temperature sensor. This is for the 22RE btw.

Now the next question is about the alternator. I got it out no issues, but I figured that while I am down there I might as replace the belt that goes around the alternator and fan. I loosened the belt, but the fan and the other belts are blocking it. Do I have to remove all of that stuff to get the belt out? Or is there something I am totally not seeing. Also, since this is the first alternator replacement I have done on any car, is there any special things i have to take into consideration when installing the new one, or is it just pretty much a slip in, tighten the two bolts and connect the connector and you're good to go?

Thanks. I'll keep everyone updated, should be back on the road (momentarily).

Last edited by Toyomo; 02-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM

I had to remove the lower radiator hose to remove the alternator and the other belts have to come off too.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 PM

UPDATE: Okay, I pulled off the alternator, went to the store and had it tested at two different places. Both places said the alternator was good, which was strange. The guy at Autozone ran the test three times and each time the alternator passed.

So, I have either a battery problem or a wiring problem. Here's what I noticed. The battery cables were corroded. I cleaned them up as best as I could so they should be good for now. The other thing i noticed, that little connector that plugs into the back of the alternator was corroded as well. I cleaned it out with some electrical cleaner and I cleaned the other wire as well (the one that's held down by the washer on the top of the alternator).

Having said that, could this possibly fix the problem, or am I looking at a more serious problem here? I remembered when I jump started the car, the car was only on for maybe 30 seconds before it died again. Regardless of what the test says, I am replacing the alternator with a new one, but I just want to make sure that I am covering all of my grounds. Any input would be helpful, and if the wire does need to be replaced, how would I go about doing that?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
www.ncttora.com/fsm

Go there. Find your FSM. Read.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I just threw my alternator in yesterday

it IS possible to do it without removing the lower radiator hose, but it's a reeeeaaaly tight squeeze...

the hardest thing to do really is to get the belt tensioned up with one hand, while tightening down the bolt on the alternator to lock it in place with the other hand, lol

but yeah you have to go in from underneith to do the alternator; there's no way of wiggling it out through the top

but at the same time, I'm woking on a truck that doesn't have the OEM fan and/or fan shroud either, there's a little more room to play with in my situation

the temp sensor is up on the intake manifold; look directly back from where you found that thermostat

it has just a single wire plugged into it, pointing straight up

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-04-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Lol, I am sorry guys I don't mean to be rude, but I got the alternator out, it's just now I am confused because I have two places who both said that the alternator was good. Forget about the belts for now, I'll worry about those later, I just need help with this whole issue regarding my alternator and why isn't it charging the battery if it is good. Do I have a bad wire somewhere?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 PM

bump....any input at all.