Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Replaced fuel filter/fuel line now truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced fuel filter/fuel line now truck wont start

I picked up a new fuel filter last week for my 90 regular cab (3.0 EFI 4x4). When I went to take the previous filter off, the nut connecting it to the line was completely stuck and stripped. With no hope of getting the nut off the line to get the filter off, I had to cut the line leading out of the filter into the intake.

I got the new line installed today and it went in pretty effortlessly, along with the new filter.

Now the truck won't start. It'll turn over; it just won't actually start.

I've tried making sure the filter was installed correctly, fuel pump pumps fuel through the line, and bleeding the line forward of the filter (fuel flows freely when bleeding it).

This irritates me mostly because it was running perfect prior to changing out the filter/fuel line.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM

I am not very familiar with this specific fuel system, but somehow it sounds like you have debris in the line, a kink, or a vapor lock of some sort....
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Weirdnerd
I am not very familiar with this specific fuel system, but somehow it sounds like you have debris in the line, a kink, or a vapor lock of some sort....
That's what I'm thinking too. I have steady pressure at the fuel rail, so I know it's getting there fine.

I heard today that I could take the spark plugs off, turn over the ignition, and that will bleed the fuel line. So I tried it. After replacing the spark plugs (they needed to be replaced anyway), it still didn't crank. I've never heard of this method, but figured I'd try it anyway.

I'm still lost on this issue.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You sure all the ignition components are attached and/or not broken?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
You sure all the ignition components are attached and/or not broken?
I took the ignition coil up to Auto Zone and they tested it, and said that it was good. It's all hooked up properly as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Check your basics. You stated you have fuel at the bleed port. Do you have fuel pressure or just fuel dribbling out ? Make sure your fuel pump is pressurizing the system. Your coil works but do you have spark at the plugs ? Pull a plug and ground it with the plug wire attached. May need some help with this one. Crank the engine and check for spark.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sensei
Check your basics. You stated you have fuel at the bleed port. Do you have fuel pressure or just fuel dribbling out ? Make sure your fuel pump is pressurizing the system. Your coil works but do you have spark at the plugs ? Pull a plug and ground it with the plug wire attached. May need some help with this one. Crank the engine and check for spark.
There is pressure when the key is turned on. I'm not sure about the sparking issue. I ran out of light and time last night when I was working on it.
I called in a mobile mechanic to come look at it this morning, so hopefully I'll know something this afternoon.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Let us know what the issue was. Good Luck
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Have you tried to remove the hose that goes from the filter to the rail?, you can turn the fuel pump on and bleed the filter, that would take any debris out of the line, and make sure you have good flow. Also you should check for kinks on the metal line. sometimes it's hard to see them.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:27 PM

**Note to anyone in San Antonio, I can't recommend Mr. Jumpstart. The owner, Kendall, came out to look at my truck. He showed up 2.5 hours late, didn't really diagnose anything that I didn't already know, wouldn't wait 10 minutes for me to get home, and charged my wife $50. Lesson learned: Don't let anyone touch the truck without ME being home.

So I know it's not a fuel issue. I'm not getting spark off of the ignition coil, but the coil is good. I replaced the igniter today still don't have spark. I tried tracing the wires back and they get lost in the sea of other wires.

The Haynes manual isn't really telling much on this subject. Does anyone know where the wires powering the igniter originate?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure the coil is getting powered. With a test light attach the lead to the coil energizer wire (terminal) and the other end to ground, while cranking the light should flash. If it does not light up your coil is not getting power, check the fuse that feeds the ignition circuit, if it lights up but does not flash while cranking your ignition module is bad - but this is more rare than the ignition circuit not getting powered properly but has been known to happen.

I've seen having to replace the coil AND the ignitor in some circumstances, even though both seemed to test good individually.

Good luck
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by octanejunkie
Make sure the coil is getting powered. With a test light attach the lead to the coil energizer wire (terminal) and the other end to ground, while cranking the light should flash. If it does not light up your coil is not getting power, check the fuse that feeds the ignition circuit, if it lights up but does not flash while cranking your ignition module is bad - but this is more rare than the ignition circuit not getting powered properly but has been known to happen.

I've seen having to replace the coil AND the ignitor in some circumstances, even though both seemed to test good individually.

Good luck
Again, I ran out of light and patience tonight. I pulled the plug wire going to the distributor cap off and tested the voltage. The plug wire is getting 12V from the ignition coil. I haven't been able to properly check the wires coming off of the distributor for spark since I was working alone all day.

I'm starting to get frustrated with this. And my wife just got home from her "Girl's Night"...and all the girls are here now.....
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM

[ And my wife just got home from her "Girl's Night"...and all the girls are here now.....[/quote]

And the problem being...???? Sounds like a nice distraction
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribed, I hope its a happy ending.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM

I had the ignition coil tested again yesterday and it ohm'd out correctly. I reinstalled the coil and took a voltage reading off of the coil and wire. It was reading 12V like it should on both. However, today when I checked the spark coming off the wire, there was nothing. So I again read the voltage off the wire. It reads 12V when the key is on, but as soon I tried to turn the engine over, all voltage disappeared. I bought a new coil and now I'm just waiting to get home to try it out.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM

I have the new coil in there and I'm still not getting spark. The cap and rotor are brand new.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM

So I feel like an absolute idiot!

When we were replacing the fuel filter last week, I decided I'd check the spark plugs. I pulled off the K&N to get better access to the #2 plug, the plug looked good (I've since changed them all) so I put it back in and hooked the air filter back up.

Today, after a lot of failed attempts with everything, I decided to check the air flow. I disconnected the intake, disconnected the airflow sensor (to make sure no connections had been broken when I unhooked it last week) and tried to start the truck just to see what happened. It started for about .25/second. I got a rush of joy through my body.

I immediately hooked the air filter and air flow sensor back up, connected it to the intake and cranked the truck. It fired right up.

I'm guessing, maybe, when I unhooked and hooked the air flow sensor back up, it reset something? It doesn't really make sense to me, but it works now.

Thanks for the help everyone!