Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

re-intexing torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re-intexing torsion bars

Regarding the torsion bar crank, (i am familiar with this concept) Is it possible to re-index toyota torsions? On my b2200 when I dropped it, just loosening them would cause "bounce" so I unbolted the torsions and changed where the splines lined up for a "stock ride" at a lowered stance. so, is it possible to re-index the torsions to raise the truck but keep the ride stock and not stiff??

edit: this is from another 4x4 forum but unsure if it applies to toyota

Using a 19mm wrench remove the locknut from the top of the torsion bar adjuster bolt.
Using a 19mm socket on the bolt head and a 19mm wrench to hold the top nut, remove the torsion bolt from the cross-member. When the bolt is free of the cross-member take note of the angle that the torsion bar anchor protrudes from the cross-member. If you donā€™t get this right the torsion bar bolt will either hang down too far when the ride height is set or you will not have enough adjustment available to achieve the proper ride height. Having it hang down makes it a target for rocks and if hit, the anchor could fail.
Now that the torsion bars are loose pull the bars towards the rear of the truck and they should come right out. If they donā€™t come out easily hit the front of the torsion bar with a rubber mallet while pulling them toward the rear or the vehicle.
Apply a liberal amount of grease to the spines at each end of the new bars if you are replacing them. If using the original torsion bars, reinstall about 3 splines counterclockwise into the front anchor on the left side of the truck, and clockwise the right.
Again, with new bars, take the rubber boots from the old bars and install them on the new bars. Getting the new bars in can be a little tricky. Slid the bar all the way in the front anchor until it buts against the A arm. In the case of my 4-cylinder truck the new torsion bars are about Ā¼" longer than the stock bars, requiring the removal of the anchor crossmember to get the rear anchors on. If using new bars, reinstall the anchors angled downward (rotated about 2-4 splines from where they were on the factory setup. This is called REINDEXING.
Re-install the anchor bolt and tighten until the bolt retracts into the cross-member. Lower your vehicle and drive it back and forth at least 10 feet. This will allow the suspension to settle so you can correctly measure your ride height.

Last edited by girlcrazy_4; 12-03-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no, you cannot easily re-index the torsion bars on a toyota.
the t-bars have a keyway at each end, which mates with the adjuster at the rear and the control arm yoke in the front.
re-indexing them requires machining a new keyway at one end or the other, or both ends.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-06-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM

hrm, dosnt sound so bad. Apart it comes.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing a small Dremel can't take care of. I think it is doable.

James
Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Nothing a small Dremel can't take care of. I think it is doable.

James

thats what i'm thinkin. goodluck! let us kno