Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Quick Question about ifs locker

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question about ifs locker

my 87 4runner daily driver is stock front ifs. i have an arb air locker going in the rear soon but i cant afford the front one too. i was wondering if i got a lockright 7.5 for the front how would this effect driving on the road. i know a locked front on the street is rough but unlocking the hubs after wheeling wouldnt allow the wheels to spin freely? thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
driving a locked front with the HUBS UNLOCKED....will be just like stock on the highway.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 AM

ok, thanks. thats what i thought. i searched for some info on this for a while and it seemed like everyone was saying that a front locker is a no go if you driving on the street a lot. i guess that just if you dont have manual locking hubs? so i shouldnt have any trouble locking and unlocking the hubs after dropping in a locker?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
no problems with locker on front and hubs unlocked, but your gonna have fun in the snow with a locked front end while driving on the street.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Just don't "throttle" thru turns and you'll be fine
Old 10-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not so sure about throwing a lockrite in the front. Doesn't Detroit make one for a 7.5"? I wouldn't throw a lunchbox in the front, only something that is designed to work better in turns.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Guyechka
I'm not so sure about throwing a lockrite in the front. Doesn't Detroit make one for a 7.5"? I wouldn't throw a lunchbox in the front, only something that is designed to work better in turns.
Do you have experience with having a full time front locker?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree the detroit truetrac (which really isn't a locker but a limited slip) would be better in the snow.

But that's me speaking from research and not experience.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Do you have experience with having a full time front locker?

Not a lunchbox, no. Like I said, I wouldn't put one in the front. I have a Detroit in the front of one rig. I've had plenty of experience with one in the rear, which makes me wary of having one in the front in the snow. If driving in the snow is not an issue, then there's nothing to worry about. However, the price difference is minimal, and you might wish you'd gone with something that was a little more street friendly.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Just drive around with one hub locked.....
Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 PM

ahh, ok. i deal with a lot of snow in upstate ny so maybe the lockright is a bad choice. im glad i posted before ordering. i'll look into the true trac. or maybe just hold off untill i have the money for both air lockers. this is probly the most help ive gotten posting here. usually i get the "try the search" reply. thanks guys
Old 10-17-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tamadrmr26
ahh, ok. i deal with a lot of snow in upstate ny so maybe the lockright is a bad choice. im glad i posted before ordering. i'll look into the true trac. or maybe just hold off untill i have the money for both air lockers. this is probly the most help ive gotten posting here. usually i get the "try the search" reply. thanks guys
It may seem strange, but I would opt for a lockrite or Detroit in the rear and ARB in the front. But it sounds like you already have the ARB for the rear.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 PM

In your situation I would also say arb in the front. Also my dad has a lockrite in the front and it is sooo loud. I have a friend with an aussie locker and it is much quiter.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Lunch box locker" = full case locker...

They both work THE SAME WAY.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It may seem strange, but I would opt for a lockrite or Detroit in the rear and ARB in the front.

Das is true, but for his situation like he said he's already got the rear locker...

Why most ppl would use a selectable in the front if b/c it's the weaker axle of the two, and in open mode it's as strong as it was factory.

Any locking and/or loading will decrease it's (anything really) strength.

And open diffs have a built in safety feature. The wheel with the LEAST amount of grip, slips.

Where you get breakage in the front is b/c of joints. And rear axles don't have joints.

IFS fronts have 4 and SA's have 2.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Do you actually like wheel this thing or is it just a once in a while "oh dirt road!!!" kinda rig? If that's the case, then with the rear arb'd you'll be getting yourself into enough trouble. If your wanting better control on ice/snow packed roads during your daily commute a on/off locker is a bad choice. Honestly, you should go with a Detroit Truetrac in the rear and if you're feelin sassy put one in the front too.

Oh, just my personal opinion...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Das is true, but for his situation like he said he's already got the rear locker...

Why most ppl would use a selectable in the front if b/c it's the weaker axle of the two, and in open mode it's as strong as it was factory.

Any locking and/or loading will decrease it's (anything really) strength.

And open diffs have a built in safety feature. The wheel with the LEAST amount of grip, slips.

Where you get breakage in the front is b/c of joints. And rear axles don't have joints.

IFS fronts have 4 and SA's have 2.
i always thought people went with a selectable for turning/dd purposes.

i wouldn't call those spider gears in a lil 7.5 a "safety feature". though that maybe because ive had bad luck with them. besides an axle is easier to replace.

open f/r is best for snow packed hwy roads.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
"Lunch box locker" = full case locker...

They both work THE SAME WAY.
Lunchbox = inside the carrier meaning there isn't as much room to stick the goodies that let it ratchet around corners. The point is that the Detroit is a little easier to manage; it's designed to allow turns without binding. That doesn't mean that giving it gas around turns is a good idea, but it is just that much easier.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

lunchbox lockers ratchet.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
lunchbox lockers ratchet.
Yes, but they are not as smooth. Read the literature that comes with a Detroit. They design them to be as street friendly as possible. Look, I can barely tell I have a Detroit in the rear daily driving it on the streets. In fact, on the trail I had my dad get out and check to see if both rear wheels were spinning at the same speed because I thought the locker might be broken. It's just that invisible.

I think the other problem is the binding, as has been mentioned. Front Birfs break, and having a full time locker is inviting trouble. Reminds me of someone in a previous thread asking about spooling the front end. Sure, a locker or spool won't make a difference in a DD until it snows and you want to use the front end. Then you're going to wish you had a selectable locker.

Quick Reply: Quick Question about ifs locker