Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Question bout a 89 ifs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bout a 89 ifs

My dad has a 89 and we were lookin at this picture of him flexin on a stump and we realized how much it doesnt really flex. lol So my question is, is if he changed the bump stops in the front end and he has a add a leaf in the rear would it all more flex? And how would we go about changing the front bump stops and whats a good length to replace them with.

the truck has a 4in suspention lift and 3 in body on 35x14.5 boggers

here is a picture of the truck on the stump

Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM

bump stops should be adjusted (bigger/smaller) to prevent rubbing, not based on flex.

I'd guess that he still has the front anti-sway bar installed, just guessing.

Also, IFS is kinda known to not flex too terribly much, so don't get the hopes up too much.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM

well yeah i know ifs doesnt have much flex at all thats not what i am getting at its just his bump stops are fairly tall or long. basically on level ground he has maybe a in of room before hte A arm hits the stop. I was thinkin that maybe if he got smaller ( shorter ) bump stops it would give him a lil more upward flex up front and takin out the add a leaf will allow the rear end to be more flexy. And im not sure bout the front anti sway bar ill have to ask him bout that. He is just trying to think of some small easier ways and cheap to get more flex.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
loosen the torsion bars..if ya shorten the bump stops then you run the risk of bottoming out your shocks.... those LONG bump stops are put in there with the 4" lift to compensate for the lift..if there were no bump stops..then it would be like a long travel setup (in a sense....) but you would be bottoming out the shocks..bending them..busting them..stuff like that

and by the way you drove up onto the stump..your flexing the rear..not the front..mine doesnt flex if i drive forward onto an obstacle..but if i back onto it..then the front DOES flex..LOL

so lets recap...
BACK up onto the stump..
Remove front sway-bar (if it is there lol)
loosen torsion bars.

that should yield a little more flex..

mine actually flexes pretty good lol..i'll get some pics tomorrow just for kicks and giggle
Old 01-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
buy a long travel kit, hed get a ton more flex from it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM

um you can flex on the front, if you think you have to back onto things to flex well then somethings wrong lol no offense but no he just drove it up on there and well i dont see how changing the bump stops going to bend the shock, im pretty sure that he wont compress it beyond its stopping point but who knows hes not working right now so has no money. lol and he wont change the torsion bars, nor the sway he doesnt wheel hard core or even as much as me so for what he does i guess its ok. but thanks and long travel is out of question WAY too spendy its cheaper to sas it lol