Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Problems with Toyotech lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Toyotech lift

I have always had 3/4 work trucks on our farm but my most recent vehicle is a 2004 Tacoma. Well I went to buy new tires and got a really good deal on a set that were just slightly larger, say less than an inch taller. I didn't think it would matter since with the other vehicles my tire size always fluctuated with whatever cost the least. Well, needless to say they scrubbed. So, my shocks were worn out so I decided to replace those and thought I might as well lift it 2" in the front to take care of that scrubbing and level it out anyway. I purchased some 2" spacers (they install between the top plate and the spring, not on top of the top plate) and a pair of struts from a company called Toyotech out in Colorado. I had never lifted a vehicle before so I even called and talked with a tech guy there to find out what I needed. I found a set of Tokiko struts on their website that are stated to work with "all of our lift applications". Well, after compressing the spring and removing the old struts, I find that the new struts were about 3/4" shorter than the stock ones (I purchased the truck new). I called the guy again and he assured me that these were the right struts. So I thought what the hell, I'll give it a try. I thought I would NEVER get these things on. I nearly broke the compressors and if they had given way the top plate and nut would have gone through the roof and into orbit! Well I got them on, and the truck actually rides really good, but I think if the struts had been longer I would have gotten even more lift. Sorry the story is so long, but my question is this: is this what lift spacers do? Should the struts have been longer than the stock ones? Are these going to break or just wear out faster? If there's no danger I'd rather just leave them on and replace them again when they wear out. It took care of the scrubbing by the way.

Last edited by auburnhunter; 05-07-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So no one on here knows anything about lift kits? Wow.