Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie with a question or two... go figure.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribed let me know if you need a hand I'm not very far from you.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed...I'm watching. Great job on the dash. You prob could have gone w a motor up to 95 because the mounts were the same but I have heard of problems with the motor running funny if you didn't grab the ECM with the motor. The intake manifold changed from the down angle throttle body to the straighter one in 1990 w the 2nd gen 4Runner ( I know this is a thread about a Pickup but I know 4Runners...) not sure when it changed on the pickup trucks. Just making the point that a later year motor could probably have been used...and not sure about the bell housing because of all the different transmissions (G and W series).

I just bought a 92 Pickup for the 22re with 107k miles for $600. I am going to swap out the front end from the pickup to my 94 4Runner. I am also going to grab the transfer case as well as the tranny to eventually put in the 4Runner or keep for spares.

Awesome job though. Want to see what you do with that SFA pickup. I'm jealous.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM

alright well another update. last i left off, the fuel tank and gas lines were routed and installed. the interior is complete, just still missing a radio. now its time for some under the hood action. but before i go there, i came acorss a deal on a trail gear hi steer kit. brand new kit cost me $260 cash plus my old push-pull gear box from a local guy here in seattle. so i figured 'what the hell'.. the motor bay is still empty.. might as well do it now. after a few hours of tearing old stuff out and a lil mockup, i began welding the new plates on. turned out pretty decent. i was a little impressed with myself actually..lol... the arms run nice and parallel with each other and the kit seems like it has some decent quality. i painted both arms that go on top of the knuckle as well as the pitman arm to prevent them from rusting. on a side note, i did lots of internet research before i installed this kit and not once did i read that the upper torque bar bracket had to be removed.. no big deal, but worth mentoning. anyways, i didnt take many before and after pictures, but heres an after. i will get a couple more pics from the driver side tomorrow.

Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzEzNDkuanBn_zpsbb52c27d.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzEzNTAuanBn_zps0d6eb52a.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  84.8 KB

Last edited by jljered; 06-02-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 PM

after the hi steer kit was done, i rounded up a few buddies and we pushed the truck to the driveway on the nice pavement. i figured the cherry picker would roll a lil better on that then the gravel and grass in the back yard. once the truck was in place, i began the installation of the motor. i replaced the rear main seal as well as the pilot bearing before installing. the clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing were still super new, so i chose to reuse those. once flywheel and clutch were torqued down, cherry picker was pushed out to the driveway where my truck was anxiousily waiting for a heartbeat. i didnt plan on even starting the motor install until tomorrow (monday), but i couldnt take it any longer.... i badly want to hop in this truck, remove the sunroof and find a trail or two... so needless to say, motor was dropped in today!! gonna go pick up the rest of the parts i need tomorrow. (dist, rotor, wires, plugs, oil change, ex mani gasket, coolant and power steering fluid).. hopefully tomorrow is the lucky day!!!! sorry for the crappy pic.. will get a better one tomorrow once the rest is finished!

Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzEzNTEuanBn_zpsbfa646c5.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  79.7 KB
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 PM

by the way, the convience of having a parts truck while doing something like this has been a heaven sent. i didnt know how much stuff the previous owner either swapped, modified and ditched until i got to it during install.. nothing like having all the correct screws and bolts at your disposal.. its like a life size shop manual at your side that dispenses parts as you need them! hah!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jljered
by the way, the convience of having a parts truck while doing something like this has been a heaven sent. i didnt know how much stuff the previous owner either swapped, modified and ditched until i got to it during install.. nothing like having all the correct screws and bolts at your disposal.. its like a life size shop manual at your side that dispenses parts as you need them! hah!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 PM

whats up yotatech!! ive been busy the last week. i purchased the rest of the parts i needed to complete the install. cap, rotor, wires, etc.. all but one thing... prob the the most important thing..... FUEL FILTER!! GRRRR! to make a long story short, i had eveything complete, installed and ready to roll. fire the truck up... she fires right up, but wont rev past 3k.. i spent an entire saturday trying to figure out what i didnt hook up, what vacum line i missed, maybe the tps is wack.... so after a long, frustratuing saturday, i decide to start from the back and work my way forward. i disconnected the fuel line from the pump to check for pressure. pressure was good. so i run to the parts store and buy a new fuel fitler... got home and threw it in.... lo and behold, the truck fires up and revs to the moon!!! im jacked! the truck actually ran for more then 5 seconds and it ran well too... valves are a lil ticky, but i have yet to adjust them... whoo hoo!... that problem is squared away!.... yet another one arises...

Last edited by jljered; 06-10-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM

as the truck sits there idling, i can hear this god awful squeal coming from the bellhousing. a sound ive never heard before. i push in the clutch and the squeal goes away.... i release the clutch and it come back... wtf could that be.... only thing i think it could be is the throwout bearing... you know, that one i mentioned ealrier that looked and felt to be brand new... ya.. it was throwout bearing alright.. i called my auto parts store to check for one in stock. they said no, that it would be 48 hours until another one showed up... BUT they did have a complete clutch kit in stock that came with a throwout bearing for $40 more.. once again..'what the hell'.. im gonna be dropping the trans anyways, might as well install a brand new clutch while im at it...well, i get the trans dropped, and remove the throwout bearing... the previous owner did have a new bearing but whomever installed the bearing, installed it backwards, so that the radius side was facing the bellhousing instead of the clutch... that loud screaching sound was the bearing rubbing againt the cast piece of metal that holds the bearing... luckily, my parts truck struck again. i was able to use that cast part from that trans, take it and my new bearing over to the neighbors shop and get a new bearing pressed on the correct way! the previous clutch looked like it was in excellent shape, but the basket was worn pretty badly from the backwards bearing.. oh well, new clutch is installed and trans reinstalled as well... ( i did that in 3 hours by the way..lol)

Last edited by jljered; 06-10-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 PM

alright.. new clutch is in.. time for a test drive.... well that didnt last long. took it for a one mile cruise and was noticing the temp rising.. kept rising until it hit jsut below the red line... took it back home and popped the hood. i can hear the coolant boiling and violently shaking the overflow resi....wtf! im thinking to myself that this looks like a sign of a bad headgasket... after pondering for a few, i decidied to pull those brand new spark plugs and check for any moisture... none. hmmm... what else could it be. the radiator i had was an aftermarket 3 core with elec fan. this radiator had a tiny leak that was not mentioned to me when i bought the parts truck.. i was either gonns spend some money and get it fixed or go find an stock one from craigslist... hopped on the internet and came a across a freshly hot tanked rad for $40 right down the road from me. 'what the hell'... went and picked it up, got home, pulled that 3 core and installed the stocker. i filled it up with water to test before i reinstalled my brand new, already muddy coolant. (thanks again to that 3 core) ... lo and behold, the truck didint rise in temp after it warmed up! Whoo hoo! drained water, installed some new 50/50 coolant and took the elec fan off that 3 core and installed it on my stocker! i wired the fan off a relay from my ignition switch, so from now on, my fan is on whenever my key is on... no switch or temp needed. elec fan, all the time. temp stays a lil below the half way mark.. prob more like 35% mark.. now were gettin fuel and coolont is flowing. (btw i hooked a hose to that 3 core and while the upper outlet was flowing lots of water the lower outlet hardly drained at all... radiator was definatley clogged)

Last edited by jljered; 06-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM

so after that god awful rant... sorry yotatech.... im extremley happy to say that the truck is road worthy! i got some new tabs on her today and gave her a oil change to boot.... speaking of which, the previous owner used a PH8A filter instead of the stock 3614 or whatever it is... the PH8A is a direct fit and offers almost 3 times more filtering then the smaller one does.... so anyways, im off to terrorize the neighbor hood... heres a pic of my truck trying to show a lil flex...lol will post more pics soon...
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzEzNzAuanBn_zps3270eef3.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  98.6 KB

Last edited by jljered; 06-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM

quick question... ive got 32 inches to the bottom of my front bumper... does anybody know roughly how much lift that is from stock? i think its 4 inch, but thats just a guess....
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Awesome work getting that thing back on the road! When I was reading thru ur post about the truck overheating I wondered if u had a air pocket in the coolant system but It def sounds like that old radiator was plugged up good lol. Working out all the lil gremlins can be a pain at times. Got any more immediate plans for the truck?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Help on installing driver side knuckle arm 85 SR5

Just moments after bragging about my 400.00 85 SR5 to a neighbor I went to back out of the driveway and found I could go straight forward or back but could not turn. I quickly found that the driver side knuckle arm had broken-seems a common problem with Toyotas with lift kits. I went to a junk yard and found one-20.00 and am now in the process of trying to install it. There was a fair amount of pounding to get the old one out but before I get out the big hammers to drive the new one in, I'd like some advice on this. Thanks in advance for your time.
Jim
Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM

well, ive put roughly 300 miles on her so far... when i swapped out the radiators, i didnt put the thermostat back in. i figured that the truck would run cooler that way... was i wrong. the truck would get warmer the longer i drove it. i was having to pull over and let the truck cool to prevent overheating. i was starting to assume that the head gasket was bad. i decided to install the thermostat just to rule out the possibility. once i installed the thermostat, the temps returned to normal. after a lil research, i gathered that the coolant was traveling too fast through the radiator to actually allow it to cool... i guess im learing as i go....
Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM

a new stereo system was added as well... i installed a pioneer head unit, jvc 4 inch sepakers all the way around and an 8" bazooka 100 watt powered bass tube to make up for what the 4 inch speakers were lacking. im actually suprised how loud this stereo gets.. the head unit was the least expensive the local car stereo shop had and the speakers were buy 1 pair, get one pair free!! i found the bazooka on craigslist for $60 in excellent shape and that lil summabitch cranks in the back of my xtra cab... im less then $200 total invested for this setup and Pantera's "Walk" sound has never sounded better!!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM

i came across a deal i couldnt pass up today... i found a yukon rear spool with new bearings already pressed on. the previous owner said it only has 200 road miles on it. he bought it, had new bearings installed and threw it in his front end.. he said he hated it up front and decided to go with a selectable locker instead... so for $100 bucks, i got to take this home with me! im gonna remove my 3rd with the already installed 5.29 gears and send it to Ken (ZUK) in Arizona for a proper set-up!

Last edited by jljered; 06-24-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM

oh and tomorrow the toy gets some new shoes... the discount tire near me is selling 35-12.5-15 BFG KM2's for $250 a tire installed! I thought i remember paying $350 a tire for KM1's 3-4 years ago.. but then again, sometimes, my memory dosent serve me so right...lol... i will get some pics of the new rubber to you guys shortly....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM

i came across a deal i couldnt pass up today... i found a yukon rear spool with new bearings already pressed on. the previous owner said it only has 200 road miles on it. he bought it, had new bearings installed and threw it in his front end.. he said he hated it up front and decided to go with a selectable locker instead... so for $100 bucks, i got to take this home with me! im gonna remove my 3rd with the already installed 5.29 gears and send it to Ken (ZUK) in Arizona for a proper set-up!
Sweeeeeeeet!

matt
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM

oh and tomorrow the toy gets some new shoes... the discount tire near me is selling 35-12.5-15 BFG KM2's for $250 a tire installed! I thought i remember paying $350 a tire for KM1's 3-4 years ago.. but then again, sometimes, my memory dosent serve me so right...lol... i will get some pics of the new rubber to you guys shortly....
Super sweeeeeeeet!

matt
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so 85-88 are the years that would not require any cutting, snipping, soldering, splitting, cussing or spitting? hah! as far as details go, its a sr5, not sure how tall the suspension lift is, but the tires are 35's. was told it has 5.29 gears. its a 5 speed (any idea on what the tranny code is anybody?).. i think thats about it... nothing too special. just want to take it out to some mild trials.

With the 22re motor you should be looking for a W56A for the 85 model, but if you're swapping out the tranny and transfer case as a unit it really shouldn't matter. Just make sure you can do a cable-driven speedo.

Last edited by SPARKS89; 06-25-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a question or two... go figure.