Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New to Toyota trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Toyota trucks

Whats up guys? My name is James, Im active duty military. Little info on vehicle situation. Currently have an 08 silverado... My wife and I both well for lack of better words... Hate it. Payments suck. It drives like a tank!

Our first toyota was a 2009 camry. We both love the car, best thing I have ever owned. I briefly owned a 2008 4dr taco, 4wd, long bed... didn't like the long bed.

I have wanted a toyota truck, preferably an ext cab 4x4 since I was 14. My wife has convinced me to get rid of the chevy get something we both like that is more fun and cheaper (she's a really good woman), We have been looking at the ext cabs. We are a little iffy on the amount of room or lack there of. Reason is there is three of us. We have an 11 yr old daughter. We started looking at the double cabs, and then 4 runners. I like all of them. I just like 5 speed trannys in those toyotas, from the ones that I have driven of friends. Ive read on several different forums about the engines, Im convinced that they are all pretty good.

Here would be the upgrades I would be interested in... @3" susp lift, with 1" body, Approx 33 in tires, keep stock wheels (i think it looks good) either deckplate mod, or CAI, re gear, Big Brake kit, rock sliders, fr and rear bumpers... Late in life mods, 4 link susp, sas, trd supercharger (if 3.4 v6) if not 1or2 JZ swap...

My wife and I want this to keep for years, start life in our family as a daily driver then years from now turn it into a off-road/hunting/toy to have. Possibly our unborn kids first vehicle. The camry is already our daughters first car!

My questions are mostly about daily use... For the guys that have ext cab, 4 doors, and 4 runners. Are you satisfied with the space? Would you prefer the auto or the manual tranny?

Thanks,
James
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely a 4Runner if you have children. The 84-89 years are my favorites, but might not be as practical for loading little ones in and out. But hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Improvise, adapt, and overcome....
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 PM

I've got two 87 4runners 22re and theyre great. My dd has 2" balljoint spacers (ifs) and longer shackles, which is about as cheap as a lift gets. I fit 33x10.5" with minor rubbing. I went with 4.88 in the diffs with a lockrite in the rear. The locker locks up most of the time, even though its supposed to have decent road manners, but I got used to working around that. I use it as a dd/trail rig but because of the ifs's limited flex it would do better on rocks with dual cases. I really have whomp on it sometimes to get it over obstacles, slower = better.

edit: 18 MPG setup like this
Old 05-25-2013, 03:58 PM

My silverado is somewhere around 11-13 mpg city so...
Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
well you don't need a suspension lift to clear 33 inch tires. I have several friends running 33 x 12.50s on stock suspension. If you have the money buy as new and as big as you want. If you buy a 96 + Tacoma you don't have to do a 3.4 swap, it already has one... I would definitely recommend the 5 sp transmission, over the automatic. I love my ext cab as for space, I even haul my 3 kids in it sometimes, although it is not ideal for everyday use.