Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New owner of 2002 4Runner Pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner of 2002 4Runner Pointers?

I just got an 02 4Runner limited. It was in the family since new, maintained fairly well, but not too much TLC given to it. No problems that i can notice, i.e., starts, runs well, transmission shifts fine, runs strong.

But the steering seems loose, as does the suspension/shocks. Shimmy and shake during braking, and nose dives during braking. The brakes seemed warped and basically shot all the way around (pads to rotors).

So, what are some of the things i should have looked at in the power train/engine? Any recommendations for stiffening up the ride and tightening the steering and responsiveness?

Standard service/maintenance recommendations? Any recommendations welcome.

I imagine I'll have the car inspected top to bottom eventually. It has 182,000 miles, but runs strong and i wouldn't mind investing some $$$ to make the car a keeper for the long run!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Welcome to Yotatech! I am just getting into 3rd Gen 4Runner's and have a '96. From what I have learned, since you have a Limited, you have the Automatic Transmission. The Automatic's run the transmission coolers through a separate area in the front radiator. This has been known to rust out over the years and can eventually cause a hole in between the transmission cooler and the engine coolant. If this happens, you can ruin your transmission and possibly your engine. I would replace the radiator. Also, seeing as you are in San Diego, you may want to invest in a separate transmission cooler on top of that. Just a suggestion though. As far as the power train and engine, apart from the radiator problem, they are both very good. the V6 is a very good engine.
As far as the steering, I would possibly check the tie rod ends. If the bushings are lose, that can cause the steering to seem lose.
The suspension is probably getting worn out because of the mileage. Replacing the shocks should help. If you want a lift, I would probably do that at the same time. If you want to stiffen up the ride, there are plenty of lifts out there.
Brakes: The brakes may be warped. Check out the Tundra Brake Swap.

Overall, the best guide I have found for 3rd Gen 4Runner's is
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...r-s-guide.html
I learned a lot from reading this. It should answer most of your questions.
Congrats on the new vehicle! Hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by xcfunrunner
Welcome to Yotatech! I am just getting into 3rd Gen 4Runner's and have a '96. From what I have learned, since you have a Limited, you have the Automatic Transmission. The Automatic's run the transmission coolers through a separate area in the front radiator. This has been known to rust out over the years and can eventually cause a hole in between the transmission cooler and the engine coolant. If this happens, you can ruin your transmission and possibly your engine. I would replace the radiator. Also, seeing as you are in San Diego, you may want to invest in a separate transmission cooler on top of that. Just a suggestion though. As far as the power train and engine, apart from the radiator problem, they are both very good. the V6 is a very good engine.
As far as the steering, I would possibly check the tie rod ends. If the bushings are lose, that can cause the steering to seem lose.
The suspension is probably getting worn out because of the mileage. Replacing the shocks should help. If you want a lift, I would probably do that at the same time. If you want to stiffen up the ride, there are plenty of lifts out there.
Brakes: The brakes may be warped. Check out the Tundra Brake Swap.

Overall, the best guide I have found for 3rd Gen 4Runner's is
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...r-s-guide.html
I learned a lot from reading this. It should answer most of your questions.
Congrats on the new vehicle! Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to keep an eye on the coolant issue. The dealer service said all the shocks etc. are ok. You're right about the brakes, a complete brake job will probably help alot.

So far the work i've had done has had a big positive impact:

New timing belt, drive belts
oil change
Coolant and radiator flush, new hoses
Automatic transmission and differential fluid replacement
Tune up/spark plugs
new headlights/tail lights

drives way better!