Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need help removing gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help removing gas tank

Another Newbee with questions. I have a 94 4Runner and I need some help removing the Gas Tank.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 04:57 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Drain it, unhook the lines, unbolt it and take it down.

Want better answers? Ask better questions. Tell us why your doing it and what problems your running into, then maybe we can help better.

Information on this can be found in the Factory Service Manual and can be downloaded through this site. Search.

Welcome to YT!

Last edited by rattlewagon; 12-07-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, its not what I would call easy. Do some searching, but I can tell you what I know.

I recommend two people, but I have done this myself; without a hoist.

Remove fuel tank protector (5 bolts total, three on the frame and two that bolt to a bracket at the rear of the tank)

remove splash guard from the wheelwell to access the bolts for the fuel filler neck.

remove the rubber fuel inlet from the metal fuel filler neck by undoing the hose clamp. There is also a smaller tube connected to the same piece, disconnect it as well.

fold your rear seats back so you can access the cover to disconnect the fuel pump connector (it just unplugs).

Now you are ready to unbolt the tank from the frame (6 bolts total). Its fun living in the salt belt that rusts every bolt underneath. I usually place some blocks under the tank for it to rest on when I get all the bolts out. When I got the tank unbolted I would lower the tank just enough to reach the fuel lines and disconnect them all. This is something you'll have to figure out since all my line has been replaced with rubber.

Actually removing the tank was the most difficult part for me,next to re-installing it. The space is very tight and it tends to get hung up on the e-brake cable and the drive-shaft.

Re-installing the tank is basically the reverse process. Difficulties here are getting the tank into position and correctly feeding the rubber filler and vent tubes up to reconnect to the filler neck.

Good luck, what ever you do make sure you do it right the first time. I will have to drop my tank for a painful THIRD time because I didn't fix my problem the first time.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Thank you very much for your help. Will give it a try tonight.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Ok, got the tank out. What a mess, preety much rusted out. Send unit and all. I need to know where I can get a good deal on replacement parts.