Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Looking for suggestions as to what to do with my 22R

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for suggestions as to what to do with my 22R

Posting this here to not clutter the tech section since this is mostly a looking for suggestions thread.

Welp, I just got some bad news. Turns out I can't change my truck's registered location to where it's garaged outside the e-test area easily and keep it there, meaning that my truck is gonna have to start passing e-tests for the first time in it's life, and it's gonna have to do it every 2 years until it's 30 (8 years from now). This is bad news because it means I won't be getting my truck on the road any time soon, at least not before replacing all the missing emissions equipment (including a new cat to replace the one that isn't there) and giving the motor the refresh I was gonna put off for awhile. I've only really vaguely considered what my options are with the motor. Guess this means I'm asking for a cherry picker or engine stand for my birthday.

I think the bottom-end is still okay (no noises, knocking, leaks, etc.) so if I can avoid a full rebuild this time around I will. However I think my piston rings are starting to go since she burns a little oil though it's an appreciably small amount and you can barely smell it in the exhaust, I'll know more once I start tearing the motor down (probably not for a couple months), hoping that I am thinking wrong as to the source of the oil burn.

Anyways, I've set aside from my "Buy another car to DD until the truck is together fund" $3000 CAD, or about $2800 USD, as a maximum budget. Not that I want to put $3k into my motor, but I don't want to find out I haven't allocated enough money towards this in-case of unforeseen problems later on.

My truck will -never- be lowered or become a racer, she's gonna get LT IFS eventually and in the event she gets in an accident that wrecks the front-end: SAS and 4wd conversion.

Things I will NOT be doing:

• Swapping motors, no 3.4L, no diesel (though a 3B would be krad if it was allowable up here), unless the block is fuzzed (seriously doubt this is the case), in which case I'll find another 22R.
  • Supercharging, at least for now anyways, maybe if my Christmas bonus this year is unexpectedly huge or something equally unlikely. Even then, the work involved and my laziness clash.
  • Converting to a 22RE, no EFI, not even gonna consider it, it has it's merits, but I potentially want to convert to a gas/propane setup since it is legal here (according to a call to the MoT) and from what I've seen and read this is easier for carbs since there's already a kit out there for 'em.
Things I am going to do:

• Replace head with Street RV from engbldr.
  • New timing chain, guides, etc. With 230k km on the odo, she's definitely due for this, no problems yet, I wanna keep it that way.
  • Electric fan, dunno which yet, I'll be hitting up search to look at options.
  • Replace all missing Canadian Emissions equipment, goodbye blocked off EGR and straight pipe where the cat should be.
  • LCE Header: If I gotta redo the exhaust and fix the EGR, why the heck not?
  • New rad: probably not necessary but my motor is full of green coolant and I want to go back to the right kind and God alone probably knows what shape the internals of my rad are like if some of the colour-mixing horror stories I've read are to be believed. I hear there's a 3-core that is a popular swap, not sure if it's the turbo rad or the v6 rad.
  • Whatever else is necessary, shouldn't be much but, ya never know.

Things I am looking for suggestions/help on:

• Dual-row timing conversion kit from LCE. I like the thought of a longer period of time between replacing the chain. I understand the bit about the extra engine drag, but crazy-me wants to consider a supercharger and a bore to 2.6L way down the line, also since I'm 2wd, I don't think the drag have -that- much of an impact, or at least no more than the extra drivetrain stuff you 4wd nutters have.
  • Carb rebuild/swap to Weber 32/36, one has to happen, dunno which. The area around my farm is very hilly, some roads are on a shallow grade some are pretty steep, this is why I am considering propane down the line, though if the Weber is hill-friendly that'd be a good enough reason for me to switch. Or should I be looking at a sidedraft, with the motor's potential future in mind? Keep in mind I have a Safari Snorkel that will be finding it's way onto my truck eventually (looks like I have to get 4wd front fenders though!) in-case that would be a factor.
  • LCE Flywheel, should I do it? Not sure which one I'd go with, my truck is gonna have to tow as well as haul stuff, but at the same time I don't want a super-heavy flywheel dragging me down when I'm having fun.
  • Rebuild bottom-end if it's not necessary: Should I do this anyways, even if it's not needed? I will be checking the top of the block to make sure it's within spec regardless, but the less I have to do, the happier lazy-me is.
There's other stuff too I 'spose, but this should cover most of it. Thanks for any help! Look for a build thread eventually, though the axle and rear are getting done first.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
if your planning on a propane setup I would ditch the idea of getting the carb. I am sure you can't use it with the propane setup. Not sure on how the snorkel will work with the propane setup either.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Ah, sounds like propane is more of a pipe dream than a practical mod in my case.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i may be wrong but i think someone was trying to sell a propane set up a while back . there was also flywheel, both on yt.

Last edited by swampfox; 07-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Yeah, but unfortunately most sellers are in the US, and not very close to here, shipping and duties are so outrageous it's best for me to order things together, not that I'm ready to start splurging on parts yet. I've got my eye on the marketplace forum and through the local classifieds already, never know if something might show up.