Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift questions

Hello all... Im new here... Im Mr. Bob, and I live in I was also thinking of a 2" BL... but that will come after I see how the susp lift looks.... Vancouver BC...

I will be getting a 96 or 97 4Runner 4X4 5 Speed for my wife and I to use as our daily driver very quickly. she currently has a nice clean '85 MR2 and I have a FULLY modded 89 Ford Bronco...

Since I cant leave anything stock, I dont even have the truck yet and have gone mod crazy... hehehehe.... I am looking at the TRD charger, headers and a full exhaust system...

But here is my question... I would like to run a set of 285/75/R16 interco trxus MTs on there... I was looking at the Revtek kit, but it looks like the back sits a good 1" lower... thats not cool!!! I have read all kinds of good stuff about the OME lift, 2.75" front and 3.25" in the rear.... I have also read on the tundra/lancruiser coils....

So am I better just to suck it up and run the OME setup?? or go with the Revtek kit and landcruiser front springs in the rear??? or the tundra/landcruiser setup?? With all of these, am I in need of a panhard bar drop??? from the reading I just did I got mixed reviews on that, and looks like a 1" front diff drop is a good idea too....

I was also thinking of a 2" BL... but that will come after I see how the susp lift looks....

This truck will have a factory rear Elocker and a front locker aswell. It will be used for mild to medium off road... the bronco is built to play hard ( hard core off road )....

I would also like to say how great this site is... I have only been here a few days, and this site has blown my mind already... Thanks for all the help!!!

Bob
Old 12-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Pre-congrats on your future purchase. I also am a newb and this has been a great forum for me to learn about my 4runner.

To answer your questions, I'll start off by saying that I have a 3rd gen, same body and suspension components as the truck you want to buy. After reading a ton of threads on this site, my opionion is that I trust a few individuals based on the knowledge gleened to date. For this reason, I recommend Bamachem's TRD lift setup for what you want (TRD Tundra coils and OME shocks IIRC). Search in the offroad tech section and you'll see a thread at least 5 pages long. He even gives you part numbers and places to get the stuff online. This setup has been proven to be comfortable, great offroad, and in-line with other setups in terms of cost. I currently have the Revtek lift w/ Bilsteins and am happy with the setup but Bamachem's seems to be the #1 choice on this board.

As far as the TRD supercharger and such, also search because many will recommend fuel mods (e.g., TRD 7th injector kit, URD fuel mods, etc.). The headers and full exhaust are a nice to have but the fuel kits tend to be necessary. Don't ask about an opinion b/c it will just start a mini war. Trust me on this one. Midiwall, Noliwan, TRDOLMAN, 96runner (Christian, I think this is your sign) all have the TRD supercharger and are extemely helpful. Once you've done research, I'd suggest PMing any of these guys and they'll be full of info. Once you go down this path, there's decent dollars into the project but the guys above will tell you it's very recommended. TRDOLMAN has dyno'd his Taco at 300 to the rear wheels and there's a dyno sheet somewhere here to prove it.

I don't have 285's but what I've read, you will need at a minimum a 1" body lift to fit these. There may also be some trimming necessary. In the offroad tech section, there will be a suspension faq that you should read. This should answer most of your questions on fitting these size tires.

Panhard drop bar is good insurance and with the lift required for your tires, you should get one. 4crawler sells this kind of stuff and is the choice for BL's on this board. Do a search for 4crawler or RB or Roger Brown body lifts. Note, Roger doesn't like calling his lift a RB or Roger Brown lift.

Good luck. Most here like for you to have more specific questions but since I'm also new and have the most recent info in my head, I just answered your questions.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

This might help........https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...24&postcount=1