Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

K & N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K & N air filter

Is It worht buying one and is it harmful because of the oil in the filter?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

It's only harmful if you over oil it. I've had K&N filters in three cars and never had a problem w/ the oil messing w/ the MAF sensor. The key is to not over oil the filter when you clean and recharge it. But, like many things, there will be varied opinions.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM

I stick to OEM. $20 every 15-20k miles for a fresh new filter is well-worth it. No risk of accidentally over-oiling, under-oiling, fitment, etc. I'm not even going to get into my other gripes of K&N.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cackalak han
I stick to OEM. $20 every 15-20k miles for a fresh new filter is well-worth it. No risk of accidentally over-oiling, under-oiling, fitment, etc. I'm not even going to get into my other gripes of K&N.
X3, Plus I'm not sure which is worse over-oiling or under-oiling. Over oil and you have to clean or replace the MAF, under-oil and you get more dirt in your engine. BTW I've heard of guys fouling the MAF with a K&N straight out of the box, maybe the factory "oilers" don't know how much to put on either hehe.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no it is not worth buying

you cannot make meaningful 50 dollar improvements to the modern computer
controlled fuel injected engine unless you reach across the $1000 point
and install new electronics, and a lot of other stuff...or a blower...or both

all that will get you is intake growl and imaginary power. it -will- provide extra hassle
and a chance to ruin your motor or at least the MAF anyway....

stick with the stock paper filter and your yota will last forever
-----------------

if you have a carb engine and not fuel injected then various air intake mods all do something.
on an EFI motor, the electronics will fight and undo anything you try to change

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 12-29-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM

I have run K&N in several vehicles. They usually come over-oiled from the factory. You need patience to oil them properly (I let mine drain on newspaper for several days). That said, would I do it again? No, they're not worth the cost & hassle. Besides, it's just another way for oil to get into the environment.

Paul
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 AM

Get a Volant CAI, K&N are garbage and that little shield won't help with hydro-lock if you do off-roading and get water in that area of the vehicle.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM

The stock filter and housing is already a cold air intake system. I see no upside to the K&N.

MadCityRich
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jay204
Get a Volant CAI, K&N are garbage and that little shield won't help with hydro-lock if you do off-roading and get water in that area of the vehicle.
http://www.volant.com/idetail.asp?ID=100

How is that any better than OEM?? I'm not trying to be offensive or smart, but really, looking at the design, it's basically the same as OEM.

And I REALLY have a hard time believing this:

Volant PowerCore Filter: 99.99% efficient at removing dirt. Better than any other filter on the market. Yet it still flows more air than paper and doesn't need oiling like a cotton/gauze filter. The fluted design and nano-fiber technology used in the PowerCore, makes it maintenance free and lasts 100,000 miles before you need to replace it.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM

I get 2mpg better then I did stock...and it sounds better It is basically the same...but has better air-flow with the sealed filter. I know what you mean though...I could of deck-plate modded but decided to get the Volant. My friends with 5Spd taco's have also said they like it.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 PM

I used to run them, noticed that the throttle body needed cleaning about every other oil change. That told me that it was letting dirt through. If the factory filter doesn't let dirt get to the throttle body, that means it is better to me, that is what I went back to. No power change to me.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM

I've run the K&N FIPK intake for 50K miles with no problem. I clean my throttle body every 30K and inspect the intake. No real problems noted. On a prior car I owned with a similar K&N intake/filter, I did over oil it once and caused the MAF to fail. It was my fault and a $200 mistake I won't make again. The K&N is probably a small improvement in performance. Mostly, I prefer the sound of the intake when I'm on the throttle more than having to live with the constant drone of an aftermarket exhaust. At 60K I switched out the oiled K&N filter for a dry style Amsoil filter so I wouldn't have to mess with cleaning the K&N, just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 PM

I have the K&N filter on my 96 4Runner. A few things I can say:

Power: I can’t tell you unequivocally that I gained any horsepower. It sounds like I did, and sometimes it feels like I did, but there is no way for me to know as I don’t have access to a dyno. If I did gain any power, it is nothing to be impressed about.

Sound: the K&N is noisier. You hear the air being sucked through the system more than you do with the stock air cleaner. I consider this a negative as I prefer a quiet cab (quieter cab = better music quality).

MPG: I gained 1-2 MPG. This is easy to measure and it has been consistent (for the skeptics, no I did not change tire pressures or anything else – this was purely from the air filter swap).

Problems: Yes, I did foul one MAF from oil residue. Now I use much less oil than I did the first time. Also, I have spent considerable time under the hood to eliminate a rattle caused by the K&N parts and placement. Too difficult to explain, but it was a pain.

Bottom line: If I were given the choice to do it again, would I swap the stock air cleaner for the K&N unit? No, I definitely would not. Keep the stock unit.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Wish I would have read this thread before I bought one...I hope Craig's List will save me the return.

I run K&N on my old '88 Chevy truck and CBR 600 F4i, but there's no post-filter sensors to foul.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 PM

interesting... I've had no issues with the intake since I installed it, but then again I have a 3rz... still... very satisfied with the intake, mileage and powerwise.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM

I also have had no issues with my filter and intake. Follow the directions for oiling, let it dry the correct amount of time, it does fine. Compliments my headers and catback.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Mine gave me a dirty MAF right out of the box after 20k (factory oiled only). Cleaned MAF and throttle body, re-oil exactly as the instructions said....20k more = dirty MAF. Re-oiled again....expecting a dirty MAF again in 20k.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM

my tuck came with a crappy universal intake on it so i bought a k&n. im not gunna lie iv takin mine through alot of mud and water before and havnt had any problems... yet but if i could id prob get a stock unit just for the peace of mind and less hassle
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 PM

I run K&N air filters (and oil filter) on everything. Main reason, its more cost efficient than buying a new paper filter. Out here in Ridgecrest, when offroad, it loads up paper filters. I am out in the desert and rocks every day I am off work. For instance, the PO of my 4Runner changed the filter for smog the day I got her. Went wheeling the next, paper filter was garbage after that. It depends on your environment. Pulling the K&N and cleaning it once a month is way cheaper than replacing. I have never had a problem with a K&N, I run them, my dad has one in his 03 Tundra, my Mom has one in her 02 Blazer, My little brother still has the one in the 4runner, I even put one in my Grandparents Mustang.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

I have run it for 4 years in my 3VZ-E and it is much better than stock. just clean it often than it says to. This is the biggest controversy on Yotatech to date. K&N or not. i highly recommend it.