Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

hard/soft ride button and dealing with sag

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard/soft ride button and dealing with sag

Hi,
I own a 90 hilux surf-basically a diesel right hand drive 4runner. It has the rear sag issue and I have found a bunch of great threads here relating to coil replacement which I plan to do. Bob_98SR5 has a thread on how to replace which made me realize how easy it is.

I am thinking I should also replace my rear shocks at the same time, but I am a bit worried because my truck has a ride button in the cab that gives me a soft/hard ride option. It makes a noticeable difference when you go from one to the next. Does anyone know how this works? Do I need special shocks? To tell you the truth, shock wise it rides great so I am not sure I need to replace them. But after reading about coil replacement pretty well everyone does coils and shocks so I sort of feel compelled to do it.

Some advice would be great here.
Thanks,
Randydb
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Hey man, The best way to tell would be to look at the shock itself. If it doesn't have any wires or hoses going to it, it should be fine to replace. With that said, I recently swapped out my springs from inchwormgear.com and didn't do the shocks, and love the feel.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM

crawled around and checked a rh drive forum

I crawled around under the truck and also checked out another forum for right hand drives. 3 wires to the top of the shock basically apply a 12 volt current that rotates a shaft in the shock and alters the valving to make it harder or softer ride.

I think I will just replace the coils. I like how firm the shocks are now and I just want to get the saggy rear end to go away.

Thanks
Randydb
Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yo
they are just electronic dampers..
you can use normal shocks but wont have the hard soft settings...

or you need to buy shocks from a source over seas!

i would keep the stock shocks incase you sell it and put some replacments in,,

I LOVE THE HARD SOFT SETTING!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM

I like the option of the hard/soft setting, and I have no problem with the dampening/ride I am getting right now. I just wanted to get rid of the sag and as I researched what to do with coils I realized that almost everyone replaced shocks at the same time.

Then I got worried about my ride button and so on! Sure love my hilux surf too. Gets around great out in the woods and you get a lot of funny looks from people when my 9 year old is sitting where the driver should be!

Randydb