Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Driveshaft ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft ???

I have a 1995 4runner 3.0 v6. It has the trail gear SAS kit with, I believe the 5" springs. I am having a new front driveshaft made for it using the trail gear 8" slipyoke. My total length from transfer case flange to front 3rd member flange is 23". Does this sound right. The guy making the driveshaft (reputable local driveshaft shop) was suprised when I gave him the 23" number, with the response, " wow that is really short. I will only be using about 2" of tube." Is there anybody with a similar experience reference length?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So... you got the 12" slip joint from TG... right? Or maybe the 8" from Marlin...?

Doesn't really matter, but the Marlin site states:

"Set up the drive shaft so that you have 3" of compression and 5" of extension at ride height."

That of course is for their 8" shaft. Might want to call TG and see what they suggest for there part.

You won't compress the shaft very much with a SAS, but you definitely will extend it a great deal.

What does your DS guy mean he'll only use 2" of tube? Sounds to me like he is planning on giving you almost all compression... and zero extension.

Make sure you understand what you need and he understands what you want him to do. Give him the length between your front pinion flange and the transfercase flange. Then tell him you want 3" compression, the rest extension. He should be able to figure it out from there.

Better yet, drive your rig in and let him do the measuring.

If there is a choice on wall thickness and you plan to use 4WD mostly at slower speeds on the trail, go with the thickest wall tube possible. If you have higher speed snow type driving, maybe go with the thinner.

Ask his opinion, but generally the thicker wall tubes are harder to balance... yet stronger for the rocks.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Ref your ? about the 2" of tubing, he means that he will only be adding 2" of tubing to the end of the yoke to complete the length. When I first ordered the DS, I asked for the 12" TG and he told me that he would set that up with 4" of compression and the rest extension. These guys do alot of DS for the formula toy class guys that I have seen out here at cougar buttes, so I know that they are very capable. I was just wondering if my front axle had possibly been moved back or something when the SAS was done and if 23" total was too short for a front driveshaft. Thanks for your input elvota, I just started to worry when he said that. By the way, I live in Victorville, what is snow? ha ha.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2" of length. So the DS guy feels that the U-Joints and splined portion of the DS will make up 21" of length?

Let's say you got a 12" splined section. Collapsed completely it's 12" long (give or take). Allowing for 4" of compression gives you a piece that's 16" long. So, that's only 5" left for 2 U-Joints.

2" doesn't sound that far off if my math is even remotely correct. Which isn't all that likely.

If I were you, I'd drive my rig down there with all the parts and figure out what's going to work. Sounds like he has got the right kind of experience you want in a DS builder.

I am used to the dual cases under mine... which added a lot of length to the front shaft. Maybe he was surprised by the length of tube being so short for similar reasons.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM

Cool, thanks elvota.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I suppose that is about right for a single t-case. My front shaft is about 33" compressed as I recall. That is with dual t-case (lengthens shaft about 6.5") and then the axle is moved about 2.75" forward from stock.