Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

cruiser springs in 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruiser springs in 4runner

Hi all,
i have a 1991 4runner and i have northwest offroad 1.5 inch lift progressive springs in the rear and downey torsion bars in the front equalling out to about 1.5 in the rear and 1-1.25 in front. what im wanting to do is put 1.5 inch bj spacers in the front and i was going to put 1.5 inch spacers in the rear. i then heard about the cruiser springs in the rear and i was wondering if i could find some that will put a heavy duty spring rate 3 inch over stock lift for the 4runner. My 4runner would then have a total of 3inches of lift. thank you to anyone who can help.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Also does anyone know about this suspension package?

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1
Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WCorbett
Also does anyone know about this suspension package?

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1
Well, I can tell you that it will not provide 3" ~ 4" of lift in the front.
The BJ spacers will provide ca 1.5". You'll have to crank the tabs up to get the other 1.5" ~ 2.5" and with that you'll loose about all the flex in the front.

Fred
Old 04-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

ONe more thing to realize is that these 4runners look like they sag even when they are level front to rear. The reason being the smaller wheel wells in the rear. If you lift the front and rear the same amount, you will still look like you have butt sag especially when you load up the rear. I like the cruiser coil/bj spacer combo, because I get the lift without the harsh ride of a stiff spring. They flex really well and are a progressive rate spring, so as you load the rear they don't compress too much. My rim to fender measurement are about the same from front to rear which mean I have some rake going on, but when it is all loaded with gear it sits level and handles very nice. I got about 4.5"+ of lift from my '97 cruiser coils but I had bad butt sag so I have no idea about how much over stock. I would guess in the 3" range.

Also, Fred is right, if you plan on wheeling it, that much lift in the front won't do you too much good because all it did was use up your flex for lift. I would suggest cruiser coils or spacers if you like your springs, add the bj spacers and then uncrank your tbars some till you get the height that matches (looks good) with the rear height.

Those packages are good but it sounds like you already have the majority of it. No need to buy stuff you don't need. I have been happy with my OME shocks with the bj spacers in the front.

I will see if I can find a good pic of my 4runner loaded up with the cruiser coils.

Not the greatest pic, but you can see that I have that thing loaded and it is sitting pretty level (I think it looks saggy, but if you put a level on the body, it is actually pretty level.

Here is another one even more loaded but with 31's instead of 33's