Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the smoke sounds like its burning oil. Im sure it has nothing to do with your new battery if thats your concern. As long as that smoke isnt coming from said battery How bad does it go through oil? Top it off and drive it for a week or two. Then check the level. Be sure that you check it at the same temp you put it in, otherwise your results will be unreliable. measure how much it take to bring it back to the same point. I would also note the amount of miles driven during that time. If it appears to have lost more oil than you find on the floor, thats another indicator that something is up.

If your burning oil, then yes, its bad. Get it looked at.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey man its great your gonna start working on you own stuff.. i grew up with my father having a 87 4runner and him doing oil changes or fixing and me just watching...
after he passed away a few years ago there was no one to fix my rusty floors or fix my cold start issue.. so i joined yota tech and started from scratch.. ive have 3 4runners now and have a new hobbie of building trucks...

there is all the info you need in the depths of yotatech but be carful its more addicting than crack
Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Burning white smoke is most usually caused by burning coolant or condensation in cold pipes.
Blue smoke would be oil burning.

Don't feel bad, we were all once at that point. Not all of us were lucky enough to grow up with parents (or a parent) that was mechanically inclined.

Try youtube for a good step by step on how to change your oil. Pretty sure I saw one that was performed on a 4runner
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 AM

alright guys. its done. made a huge mess in the process but hey, thats how ya learn. thanks for all your help. oh and no smoking today...go figure.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, if it quit smoking after an oil change...did you put oil in? I imagine you did. Had to ask. If it's been a while since it has been changed it will thin out some and it will start burning it and will start leaking. Keep up on the changes...

Glad you were able to get it done with only a bit of a mess. Like the others have said. just search and if you can find it ask and some one will help you out. If you don't mine being teased a bit...

There are great folks here with tons of knowledge.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Never mind.

Last edited by Seacoast; 06-10-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Seacoast
Speak for yourself, I wasn't.
At least he is trying and is doing...has enough brass to as the little things that most of us know. I'm sure I have asked questions that others have though were dumb. If you don't have someone to teach ya...gotta start somewhere.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM

speaking of teasing, have you checked the blinker fluid, also, the smoke could be a bad muffler bearing. ha ha. but seriously, everybody who picks on you has at least one story they're not gonna tell you. and it is better to learn from somebody else who has already learned the hard way.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Probably going to change the oil on my girlfriend's durango now. Maybe even moms ridgeline. the sky is the limit...
Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 AM

yeah man.. just remember to check underneath after you fill em' up for leaks..and you never have to super torque the drain plug or the oil filter you can cause alot of damage if you do. Just get it in there snug..then check for leaks..and the haynes manuals sold at auto parts stores is your life saver when Yotatech isnt by your side..And if your gsx-r is new why did u have to change the clutch lever..if you dont mind me asking..

Ohh and im lovin the shadow of you taking the picture in your avatar..

Last edited by StangBanger; 06-12-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 AM

believe it or not there is such thing as a muffler bearing (sort of) on some of the newer mazdas and even the 3000gt there was such thing as a muffler bearing, it is actually a set of bearings that are on a door in the exhaust to regulate back pressure in the exhaust or to keep the turbo from over spooling. i work for a local parts store and get this joke all the time and believe it or not they actually exist now. as for blinker fluid, elbow grease, 67' vw water pumps, and parts for an 83 corvette thats a different story.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:14 AM

haha yea ive never noticed the shadow and i took that picture probably 2 years ago. i actually dropped my new bike on the 3rd or 4th day after i bought it. it was pretty much fine bc i was barely moving but on a steep incline, but the tip of the lever just snapped right off.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 AM

Ahh i see.. their actually meant to snap off like that so they dont bend the whole assembly... Frame sliders will save that clutch cover and fairings.. Def. worth it man..Ride safe..
Old 06-15-2009, 01:08 PM

muffler bearing

figures they'd go and make one of those, just to ruin my joke. now i have to think of another one. "Did you check the blinker fluid and the... (blank)" help me out here guys. maybe if it's a Delorean i could say "did you check the flux capacitor?"
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
theres always the dc rectifier...lol
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Dont buy a haynes or chiltons, They're pos's and the NCTTORA fsm is all you need..

First time I ever changed the oil, I forgot to put the drain plug back in, good think I only put about a half quart in before I noticed..

Good luck !!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Andy_Structable
figures they'd go and make one of those, just to ruin my joke. now i have to think of another one. "Did you check the blinker fluid and the... (blank)" help me out here guys. maybe if it's a Delorean i could say "did you check the flux capacitor?"
Well, I've found that many automotive problems are caused by the nut that holds the steering wheel.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by StangBanger
Ahh i see.. their actually meant to snap off like that so they dont bend the whole assembly... Frame sliders will save that clutch cover and fairings.. Def. worth it man..Ride safe..
that makes sense .im trying to invest in some sliders but the yote needs some work at the moment and good sliders can get expensive really fast. hopefully i can find someone to fix my fairing bc if i have to replace it it will be almost 500 bucks. ouch.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM

If you did not replace the spent oil plug washer with a new one, please consider doing so next time. They can be reused but are cheap enough to not have to. I just crush a generic plastic one snug. So far, no oil leaks, no stripped oil plug threads and no oil plugs bouncing down the highway.

Also FYI, I use Shell Rotella T single weight motor oil and Purolator Pure One oil filters on my 2runner. You might also consider using Shell Rotella single weight in your bike since the round molecular structure resists shearing better than elongated multi weight oils. But unless you are redlining the H E double toothpicks out of the engine in a time trial session, you can just go with the driving miss daisy oil. Oh, and by the way never, ever expect to get a RIGHT answer when it comes to oil. You are just going to have to carefully consider the information yourself and pull the trigger on a product you feel comfortable with for your particular circumstance.