Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

axles and gears?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axles and gears?

Alright this is probaly a dumb question but when you buy gears for the back axle are they the same in the front IFS? Im getiing some 33s soon and Im going to have to gear it.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah ah! One I can answer!

Yes, you have to match the front and rear gears.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM

I think hes asking if you can use the same gears in the front or rear. If thats what the OP is asking, the answer is no. The rear is an 8inch and the front is a 7.5inch
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
I think hes asking if you can use the same gears in the front or rear. If thats what the OP is asking, the answer is no. The rear is an 8inch and the front is a 7.5inch
Thanx you know a place were i could order some? tried looking around couldnt find mutch
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Randy's, 4WP to name two.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-02-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here's some quick info:

1. gear ratios must match front to rear
2. 33s are usually paired to 4.88s
3. 8" toyota in rear, 8" toyota with solid axle or 7.5" toyota with IFS in front.
4. as long as you stay out of 4wd, you can do the rear first and regain your highway power and mileage, if you need to budget it over time.
5. a google search for 8" toyota gears will shower you with links to suppliers, as well as links to install threads etc. search on google rather than yt's search bar. google finds things very well on this site.
6. search also for toyota differential for general toyota diff info. there's a page by "erik" that is infamous, and a page in 4crawler's site equally well known.
7. search for threads here by "zuk" or go to gearinstalls.com if you'd like to purchase diffs already set up with gears by a guy that is highly recommended on this site.
8. if you want locking diffs of any type, cut labor expense by installing at the same time.
9. the quality of the install is more important than the brand of gears. gears are also available on fleabay if you shop cautiously. you get what you pay for.

good luck. i'm waiting for my money tree to bloom so i can regear as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
here's some quick info:

1. gear ratios must match front to rear
2. 33s are usually paired to 4.88s
3. 8" toyota in rear, 8" toyota with solid axle or 7.5" toyota with IFS in front.
4. as long as you stay out of 4wd, you can do the rear first and regain your highway power and mileage, if you need to budget it over time.
5. a google search for 8" toyota gears will shower you with links to suppliers, as well as links to install threads etc. search on google rather than yt's search bar. google finds things very well on this site.
6. search also for toyota differential for general toyota diff info. there's a page by "erik" that is infamous, and a page in 4crawler's site equally well known.
7. search for threads here by "zuk" or go to gearinstalls.com if you'd like to purchase diffs already set up with gears by a guy that is highly recommended on this site.
8. if you want locking diffs of any type, cut labor expense by installing at the same time.
9. the quality of the install is more important than the brand of gears. gears are also available on fleabay if you shop cautiously. you get what you pay for.

good luck. i'm waiting for my money tree to bloom so i can regear as well.
yea i kinda figured that they would have to use the same gears.

I might just put the 33s on now even tho im going to have no nuts to get up over my hill. thats why i wanted to know if the gears are the same as the front. I go mudding all the time so im eather going to get them both at the same time or just slap the 33s on.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shawns88
yea i kinda figured that they would have to use the same gears.

I might just put the 33s on now even tho im going to have no nuts to get up over my hill. thats why i wanted to know if the gears are the same as the front. I go mudding all the time so im eather going to get them both at the same time or just slap the 33s on.
unless you NEED tires, i suggest waiting on 33s as long as possible. when i bought my truck it had 235/75s. i put on some used 31s. i did not really notice a difference in power. i planned to roll them until i had the loot to regear, lift, and do 33s. unfortunately, one tire started leaking. when i went to the tire joint, they told me the tires were like 6 yrs old already, and even tho there was plenty of tread, they were too old and all could eventually leak air.

so i was forced to make a decision, buy one 31 and ignore their warning, buy new 31s, or commit to 33s. i chose to upsize of course!

so i had to immediately hammer smash the fender wells. then i put on 4crawler's 1" lift blocks. but my rear end shook like crazy. i thought it was the 33s out of balance. it turned out the P.O's overextended, cheap-arse hot-rod shackles over FLAT factory leafs had too much play.

so i bit the bullet and put in the OME springs and shocks. that eliminated the shake. but now my ride is very stiff with these OMEs and no heavy trail armor or gear to fatten up my total weight. so NOW i want to hurry up and get bumpers and sliders to see if my ride improves.

meanwhile, i still need to regear, because even though the new out of the box engine has a lot more power, it's not getting it to the road very well. it sustains 75 on the highway now, but my steep grade acceleration is horrendous. of course i have a huge hill on my way home to rub it in every damn day.

SO, in conclusion, going from 31s to 33s is a huge jump because of all the changes to go along with them. if i knew then what i know now, i'd have STAYED with 31s until i had the regear money in the bank.

good luck no matter how you decide to go!
Tj
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just slap the 33s on and wheel it!!! i ran 33s on my 4 banger with stock 4.10s for 8 months as my daily driver. now im still on stock gears, and been runnin 35s since i go tmy engine rebuilt a few months back
Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by yoder519
just slap the 33s on and wheel it!!! i ran 33s on my 4 banger with stock 4.10s for 8 months as my daily driver. now im still on stock gears, and been runnin 35s since i go tmy engine rebuilt a few months back
its my dd but i trail ride it almost every week end. and i want to get 31s but there are a bunch of 33-35s on c list cheaper than 31s (figure that one out?) so i probaly will get some 33s and find away around my huge @$$ hill. and regear it later.