Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

'92 Toyota 4×4 that was changed from EFI to a carburator, many problems, solid truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '92 Toyota 4×4 that was changed from EFI to a carburator, many problems, solid truck

OK try to make this short simple to the point any advice or help much appreciated. First of all no mechanic skills or limited I should say but willing. I bought a '92 Toyota 4×4 from an individual when I first drove the truck it was a good solid truck, but it soon went haywire. Its difficult to know where to start as I really don't know much. It has been changed from a EFI to a carburetor and the carb. on the truck came off a Toyota Corolla (found this out when I went to buy a rebuild kit for which I just happen see a video on YouTube and said that carburetor looks exactly like mine and it was also it was modified to fit on the pickup) I'm having problems ranging from vacuum line and how to hook them up and (which ones are really needed) to wiring like thermostat, air conditioning, even the main wire to the distributor seems strectched to the Max. Also he had put a manual fuel pump on it (so as not knowing a lot) I'm having fuel issues too. I have the Chilton and Haynes Manuel's but still not helping because I don't understand a lot of it which I mean don't know some things from other now after I read on it more starting to understand a few things but again never been an automotive buff lol but would really like to get this truck going because its a good looking truck and want to enjoy it. It does have all the original wiring harnesses but nothing is connected and the "brain" has been taken out also. I had to change the rod bearings wasn't bad but could have been believe it was driven with low oil. The motor looks good especially on the inside but don't know whether to try and follow instructions for the 22re or since its a system now use 22r but what year? It is a manual 5spd. Timing I don't have a clue about think its in time am in the process of putting new oil pan gasket today hints or right down telling me would be appreciated. Also replacing the crankshaft front mainbearing. If anyone too the tme to read this and could let me in on what needs to be done I thank you. As you can see I'm a mess.